Ultimate version?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

the mechanic

Ultimate version?

Post by the mechanic »

What do I get by purchasing the Ultimate edition?  I would like to have the potable option and as far as I can tell the Ultimate version is the only option.   I was set to buy it and then saw the "lifetime" upgrades which are another $50.   I thought that a little excessive, especially in light of the fact that there seems to be no history of this being honored.  

After reading the threads I am so put off by the idea that one could so easily walk away from honoring their obligations that as I type this I am thinking that I should just look for an alternative.   Even worse, is that after what has transpired the "lifetime" upgrades continue to be offered.  

Clearly, the lifetime upgrade is questionable.  I also feel it is a little excessive to charge an additional $20 just for the capability to run the app as portable.  I have been a long time user of xplorer and only left when 64x OS's became the norm and xplorer lagged behind.

I want to buy a license and get on with work, but I just don't feel right doing business with a company who does not stand behind their product.   I am willing to put up with the quirks, I am willing to deal with the eccentricities of zabkat, I am also willing to spend an additional $20 to get a "feature" that should be a part of the program.   But, I don't know if I can put money in the pocket of someone whom I consider unethical.

Back to the drawing board I guess.  Directory Opus seems like a deal when one considers all the baggage that comes with dealing with zabkat.
mechanic
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

In Ultimate you also get Windows Search integration, and nikos has said that all future significant enhancements will only be available in the Ult version.

You'll note that I'm still running 1.8 Pro

Because of the path I took to the Buy page when I purchase x2 back in 2007, I didn't even see the Lifetime Warranty option, so not unsurprisingly I didn't buy it.   But I probably wouldn't have bought it anyway - if it had been a modest annual fee,or it offered a fixed period I might have done. But one off lifetime warranty's are rarely worth the paper on which they are written, let alone the money you pay for them.  

So when V2 came out I found I would have to buy a new license to get it.  Which I would have done if some of the defects and deficiencies that bug me in V1.8 were fixed in V2 (they're not), nor have I found any new features in V2 that I consider worth paying for - but I'm still trying.

The only thing I might use portable for is when I am working on other peoples computers (friends and the local community centre).  But if I want X2 in that situation I install X2 Lite, if its a friend I often leave it there, if its an an acquaintance I uninstall it.  I cant recall ever thinking - damn I wish I had X2 Pro on this system.

As for integrated Search, it looks a bit - 'if it can be done then lets do it' to me.  So I get my search results in an X2 scrap pane rather than an explorer window - whoopee doo.   I don't expect nor do I want everything to come from one 'tool' - shades of "if the only tool you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail" syndrome.

Here's some of what I think of DOPUS http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?p=60613#60613

As for their support - my experience was that it was awful, bunch of arrogant, discourteous, know-it-all's.  Nikos can be annoying at times, but at least he sometimes has a sense of humour, saw no sign of any such thing coming from the DOPUS...  Surly lot.

RP  

<rant>At one time back in the 1990's Congress considered whether it should ban lifetime warranties.   I can't recall the details, some scam that robbed people of millions.  Now thanks to fat finger Larry, Timmy boy and Al over easy etc, we reward them with trillions when they rob us of billions.

The best thing that might happen if Romney wins the elections is that he'll chuck Corzine in the slammer, Obama wont because he owes him too much.  But Romney won't because he tarred with the same brush, we need another Roosevelt, but not a new Franklin D. - a new Theodore.</rant>
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

all big file managers charge for updates and some don't even give you the chance to buy free lifetime upgrade cover -- so it means that you pay for each version. xplorer2 lifetime cover is honored. The decision is yours!
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

nikos wrote:all big file managers charge for updates and some don't even give you the chance to buy free lifetime upgrade cover -- so it means that you pay for each version. xplorer2 lifetime cover is honored. The decision is yours!
I agree on that. I've paid it and happily running version 2, while I had a license on version 1.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
CrossX
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrossX »

Apart from the new features introduced with v.2.2.0.1 (fast search), what is the practical difference between Ultimate and a portable version built with Spoon Studio (for example) or ThinApp?
the mechanic

Post by the mechanic »

CrossX wrote:Apart from the new features introduced with v.2.2.0.1 (fast search), what is the practical difference between Ultimate and a portable version built with Spoon Studio (for example) or ThinApp?
How much do Spoon Studio or ThinApp cost?
mechanic
CrossX
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrossX »

They cost much much more, but maybe one has them available from other sources (friend, office, university, etc.).

My question (let us cost apart) is "what is technically different?"
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the old xplorer2 couldn't be made portable with any of these tricks. The latest v2.x should be easier to wrap, although I can't tell for sure as I didn't try it
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

CrossX wrote:They cost much much more, but maybe one has them available from other sources (friend, office, university, etc.).

My question (let us cost apart) is "what is technically different?"
probably not much

but apart from cost, & technicalities there are legalities - you'd be in violation of the license T's & C's - wouldn't you ?
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Can you point me to where this was said?

Post by pschroeter »

RightPaddock wrote: ..., and nikos has said that all future significant enhancements will only be available in the Ult version.
Can you point me to where this was said? I find it disturbing and hard to believe. When I bought my lifetime license in 2008 there was no Ultimate and I thought I was buying upgrades to the top of the product line. I admit I thought I got a bargain, but what the heck. Ultimate always makes me wonder if it is just a way to get around honoring this arrangement.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

yes, i also would like to see where i said that! -- because i never did!
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

nikos wrote:yes, i also would like to see where i said that!
Here:

(fake, of course!)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i can't find this topic, either it is out of context or it is a slip of the tongue! It's definitely wrong
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Considering ZoNi helpfully wrote "(fake, of course!)" at the bottom might be a slight giveaway.  Pretty good fake, though.

I take it, Nikos, you often reply to those Nigerian Inheritance emails you keep getting?  And then you wonder why you keep getting them? :wink:
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

Kilmatead wrote:Pretty good fake, though.
Heh, I have just cut out that sentence from RightPaddock's post and paste it in nikos' post :)