xplorer² suggestion

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

VaMPiRiC_CRoW

xplorer² suggestion

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

Hi,

first, I've to say that xplorer² it's a great file manager and it's only a alpha version!!! :D

I want to suggest that xplorer² have an option to show the 'Tree' in the two Panes... I love this feature...

See this image:

Thanks
Rui
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i don't really like the space-consuming 2nd tree idea
FTCOPT_AUTOSYNCVIEW from alpha.txt may help you manage both panes with a single tree; you can always clone a new window, too!
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

nikos wrote:i don't really like the space-consuming 2nd tree idea
FTCOPT_AUTOSYNCVIEW from alpha.txt may help you manage both panes with a single tree; you can always clone a new window, too!
But one option in the main program will be great for those who like this way... :wink:

Thanks
Rui
tick69

Xplorer2

Post by tick69 »

8) Xplorer2 is great, and I'd use it in a heartbeat over 2xExplorer, except for one thing that is bothering me. I always set mine up with a tree on the left and two equal, horizontal panes on the right, with the thumbnail below the tree ont the left. I can get that set up~almost~on the Xplorer2, except that I have to use the clone function to set the equal panes, set equal panes is not there, and I have no idea how to set the two panes to be horizontal. I know it makes little difference, but I am used to the panes being horizontal with my 'source' on top and my 'target' on the bottom and justs dragging the stuff down. Is there any way to set the panes up horizontally? Also, can I turn off the hex preview? seeing the inside of every .exe I click on is a little disconserting. Keep up the good work,
Israel
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you care to do a little homework & reading alpha.txt, you'll see that it is well possible to stack panes one on top of the other. For equal size panes, just d-click on the splitter divider
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Thanks, tick69, for explaining your preferred usage of 2-panes.
(I'm still working out what my preferred usage will be -- now that I'm free of the m$ tree+1pane habit).
I set up your horizontal pane layout for myself & I like it ... will use it that way for a few days to see if the preference sticks.
BTW, I hope you took nikos' suggestion to pore thru alpha.txt and find how to set up horiz.panes with registry tweak (It's about 2/3 of the way down)
I find that alpha.txt is chock-full of good info on how to use & set features and discover features unknown.

ENJOY!

(& thanks, nikos, for pointing out the d-click for equal pane-ing)

-Fred-
tick69

horizonta panes

Post by tick69 »

:shock: I found the settings and figured out how to do it and now it is sweet. I still haven't figured out how to turn off the hex preview, but no biggie. The only thing I get now is when I run it for the first time after a reboot it quite often tells me that the "Debug Assertion Failed!" when it tries to look at the floppy drive. I hit ignore and then everything is OK. If I hit retry XP tells me that "Alpha version of 2xElorer2 has encountered..." and then Xplorer2 is shut down. I can recreate this error at will by trying to open any empty drive, be it a floppy or cdrom. if I hit ignore then life goes on, but retry always causes a shutdown. But that goes with the territory of testing an alpha...
tick69

Note about environment

Post by tick69 »

:? I do not think it will matter, but FYI I am using litestep for a shell, not explorer. I have been using LiteStep since about '96~'97 and have not found any programs that will not work because of litestep, but It could affect the environment in some way so I thought I'd mention it, just in case I'm am the only one who can get this error.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

are you using build .47?
I thought I'd fixed this problem with empty removable drives

BTW, vertically stacked panes is my favorite too, especially now you can have loads of columns in detailed view

PS. You can't turn hex view off. If it is that disturbing, I'll add a registry tweak to disable it
tick69

build .47

Post by tick69 »

I am using build .47... Also, is there a registry hack to make the drives expand, so I can see them all and not just one that becomes a drop down list? On my windows 2000 machine the empty drive error does not occur, but it does on the XP Pro mahcine--could there be an update or patch or library to install to fix this?
bitje

dual folders panes

Post by bitje »

Hi Nikos,

Thanks for your work on these fabulous programs!!

I have tested 2xplorer(2) and I like it very much!

I know you don't like having two folder-panes, but nevertheless... some people like working that way... even if it is space-consuming :)

A)
1) is it possible to activate 2 folder panes by changing some registry settings?
2) if not: is it possible to foresee that feature in a future release? (I really hope so)
3) if not: ... well so it will be ... :)

B)
Another suggestion is to add an ".." (dir up) icon on every dir-listing so you can easily go to the above dir without using the icon on the toolbar.

These are just ideas
I hope you will take them into consideration...

Thanks
greetz
bitje
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i'll add the second tree as a possible future improvement, but it won't be anytime soon. To go ".." up, just d-click on a pane's titlebar, as in 2xExplorer

.48 should have fixed the XP problem with empty floppies

finally you can't have the drivebar expanded
this is another space saving measure, especially for people with tons of drives
bitje

Post by bitje »

1)
Wow, Nikos. I look forward to it.
Having a full (dir-pane+files-pane) two pane view would be awesome!

2)
About double-clicking the titlebar to go onbe dir up: I didn't knew that...
Thanks for the tip.

But you have to admit that it is not very intuitive ...

If there is a dir icon with an "up" arrow or something in the files pane that would be more user friendly.

Of course this is just a tip.

Anyway you have made a fantastic product. It only can gets better!!

Greetz
bitje
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

Nikos,

can you compress the 'xplorer2.exe' file with the UPX-iT?

with compression: 391,680 bytes!!!
without compression: 2,240,593 bytes
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this just makes the loading times longer
it has no difference once the executable is mapped in memory

the "real" program (release version) is around 330K (and rising)