funny installer message

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

funny installer message

Post by nikos »

with internet explorer, when I click to download xplorer2 and choose to RUN the installer directly (without saving it first), I get a funny warning message from UAC saying "are you sure you want to run this from an untrusted location?". Somehow it doesn't recognize the installer is signed. If on the other hand I first save then execute from the Downloads folder, everything is fine.

www.zabkat.com/x2down.htm

Does this happen for you too?
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: funny installer message

Post by Tuxman »

Using Fx with my OpenDownload² extension, I never had this issue. :mrgreen:

Now it would be interesting to know which IE/Windows version you tested this on.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I have IE10 on windows 7
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Probably yes then, although it should always happen. Maybe related to some cache?
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Considering that just last week (after having UAC disabled for years and years and years) and never ever using IE as an actual browser, I discovered that IE settings still have a bad habit of inviting themselves into the shell launch behaviour for binaries...

I have decided to just become a Buddhist monk and walk the Earth spitting in people's faces. It's one of those 6-of-one-or-half-dozen-of-the-other kind of things - when "security" settings become so convoluted and invasive as to be an obstruction to reality, it's time to accept that we're just not in Kansas any more Toto. :shrug:

For example, you could lose half-a-day reading up on MIME Sniffing and what it has to do with stopping the auto-execution of things by content-derivation, but it's easier to just point out that Marcel Marceau could sniff my arse before I would sniff his. And that's all there is to it.