How to search again in the same search window?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

billou31

How to search again in the same search window?

Post by billou31 »

Hello. I'm using x²pro and I'd like to know how to find stuff faster.

Scenario:
I got a folder with lots of music files and a few subfolders.
So I hit Ctrl + F to open the search window to find my stuff.

Okay, but now I want to search the same folder again. I don't want to search through all my HDDs, just that same location.
In Windows Explorer, all I have to do is hit Ctrl+F again, enter the new search term and it will automatically start looking in the same folder and give me results.

How can I do the same in xplorer pro?
Also: What is the shortcut to bring the cursor into the search field again?

Ctrl+F always opens a new search window and after a while I have dozens of them clogging up my taskbar, although I just need one.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: How to search again in the same search window?

Post by Kilmatead »

billou31 wrote:In Windows Explorer, all I have to do is hit Ctrl+F again, enter the new search term and it will automatically start looking in the same folder and give me results.

How can I do the same in xplorer pro?
Also: What is the shortcut to bring the cursor into the search field again?
Set a custom shortcut to the filterbar using Customise -> Keyboard -> Miscellaneous -> 33250 (Bloody popular question of late! :shock:)

<Ctrl+F> already will search the same folder repeatedly until you select a different one in the active pane. :shrug:

Selecting "Search" from the filterbar amounts to the same thing... as to the uncontrollable proliferation of excess Scrap Windows... welcome to the club... Just get into the habit of closing the little bastards as soon as you're done with them, Whack-a-Mole style. :D

billou31

Post by billou31 »

Eiter I'm blind or there is no 33250:

Anyway.
Is there a way to turn off xplorer² search? It just doesn't do what I want it to.
Even if I could place the cursor in the upper right search bar of a search window, it gives no results if I enter a new search term there, it just filters. I have to close the old search window and open a completely new one in xplorer² to get a new search in the same folder done.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Switch x2 temporarily into English (Help -> English Translation) and then use Customise -> Keyboard -> Miscellaneous to assign a new accelerator to 33250. Click the same Help menu entry to return back to your localised DLL, and you'll find that the accelerator will work fine. (The translation DLL's weren't updated, apparently. :shrug:)

The filterbar entry only filters because that's what it does by default - click the dropdown in the filterbar to select "Search" instead of Filter.

The inbuilt x2 Search cannot be disabled, as it's a basic tenet of the x2 religious propaganda that Windows Search is (by sheer dint of existence), inferior. Lodge all complaints to Pastor Nikos, who may or may not agree.

However, you may try this suggestion as an alternative.