make xplorer2 remember column width

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

franklekens

make xplorer2 remember column width

Post by franklekens »

How can I make xplorer2 remember the last used column widths for certain folders?

I have one folder that's always open. It contains a lot of files, some of which have really long file names. Every time I start xplorer2, that folder will be displayed with the first column (for file name) so broad that the rest of the columns are out of view. Yet the column isn't set to the width of the longest file name. What width it *is* set to, I don't know.
So everytime I open xplorer2, I have to manually narrow this first column. I can't get it to remember this.

What am I doing wrong?
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: make xplorer2 remember column width

Post by Robert2 »

Have you tried hitting "Ctrl+Add"?
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Try using Actions/Folder settings/Save in that folder
franklekens

Post by franklekens »

Thanks, but that doesn't help. Suddenly a x2docs.zip shows up in the folder, I guess that is where the settings are saved to.
But when I close xplorer and reopen it, the file name column is once again far broader than I want.

CTRL+ADD does exactly what I don't want: make the column far too broad. And even if it would make it as broad as I want, it would still be something I have to *do* everytime I open xplorer2 or open this folder. I'd like xplorer 2 to remember I want to view this folder this way: with these column lengths, and sorted on this and this column (in this case: file change date).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

here's what you need to do for those EXCEPTIONAL folders you need to see differently
www.zabkat.com/blog/23Mar08.htm

here's a number of ways things can go wrong
www.zabkat.com/blog/settings-headaches.htm
franklekens

Post by franklekens »

Thank you. I've read those pages and checked the list of common problems. I think none of them apply to my case.
The only thing is I do always have a lot of tabs open: I have two windows open with five tabs in each, with my most commonly consulted folders.
But I've checked, and I made sure the folder where I don't want the file name column to be as broad as the longest file name (and actually I don't want that for any of my folders...) was the active folder when I exited xplorer 2. And I had adjusted the column width to what I wanted. But on reopening xplorer to, it had reverted to the default "as broad as the longest file name".

I do notice one thing: if I do Actions>Folder Settings>Save, xplorer2 creates a desktop.ini in the folder.
But after exiting and reopening xplorer2, that desktop.ini is no longer there. It's disappeared.
Would this be the cause? And if so, is there a remedy for that?

Windows 8.1, by the way.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

desktop.ini files are Windows “system files” and are hidden from view by default. They are briefly visible in xplorer² when they are created. But they become hidden as soon as the view is automatically refreshed by xplorer². Even though they are hidden, they still do the job for which they are intended.
Now if you want to see these desktop.ini files permanently, you need to display the Advanced tab of the xplorer² “Tools | Options…” dialog. Then press the “folder options” button at the bottom left of that dialog. Then clear the “Hide protected operating system files” check box in the Windows folder options. Finally, OK out of all open dialogs.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

did you tick the "automatically resize name column" option from TOOLS > OPTIONS, advanced page? That could be the explanation.
franklekens

Post by franklekens »

Ah, that's another option I overlooked: the "automatically resize name column" option is indeed checked.

But here's the thing: if I uncheck it, it doesn't help. Because after reopening xplorer2 the file name column is still set to the longest file name, *and*... that option has automatically been rechecked! Unchecking the option doesn't stick. (I tried doing it in administrator mode too: no dice.)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is because you've used the "save custom folder settings" command too much. Browse C:\ or somewhere you haven't saved custom settings, do your changes to this "column 0" setting, and quit/restart xplorer2. Probably you will have to clear saved settings from those folders you saved too! See here for more information

www.zabkat.com/blog/settings-headaches.htm
franklekens

Post by franklekens »

Thanks, that helped.