How to save all the names of JPG files?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: How to save all the names of JPG files?

Post by Kilmatead »

There's a couple of ways of doing this, but the simplest is just to use the "filter-bar". Make sure your address-bar is visible (View -> Toolbars -> Addressbar)... the filter-bar is the part to the right of the little green arrow. It should say "filter" in it - if it does not, click the arrow at the end of the bar and select Filter from the list.

1. Browse to wherever your folders are all collected. Click in the filterbar and type "VK" and press <Enter>. This should show only the folders with VK in their names.

2. Press <Ctrl+A> to select all the folders.

3. Press <Shift+Enter> This will "flatten" the contents of those folders (and their subfolders) - the files will open up and be displayed in a scrap-container.

4. Go to the filterbar in the scrap-container (again, to the right of the green arrow). Type in ".jpg" (without the quotations) and press <Enter>. This will display only the .jpg files (if there were other types mixed in originally, they will not be visible).

5. Press <Ctrl+A> to select all the files.

6. Press <Alt+C> to copy the full-paths/names of all the selected files into the clipboard.

Use <Ctrl+V> to paste the list into a text editor, or (in an active pane of x2) it will create a file called x2scrap.txt - this is just a text file which contains the list of jpg files you wanted.

(Like I said, there are numerous other methods, but they all come down to basically the same thing in the end.)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Or (the faster way): sfk list -dir VK* -file .jpg :)

You can even store the list:

Code: Select all

sfk list -dir VK* -file .jpg > jpeglist.txt
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

x2 should not hang when flattening a specific folder (unless there are many many thousands of files in it which could take awhile). If there aren't that many files in it, there could be a problem with the disk itself - can this folder be browsed into? Do all the files display as expected?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

If you're talking 100's of thousands of files, then just wait - x2 is designed to handle high numbers of objects, but it can take time to parse them all. If it takes an enormously long time and still nothing happens (there should be a progress-bar displayed on the scrap-container?), then I suspect a disk fault. Perhaps try only selecting a few of the VK folders (instead of all of them at once) and try flattening them (just to verify that it works properly) - with just a few folders it should be more or less instant.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Um - yes - it may take awhile to collate 3 million files. (Somebody took a lot of pictures.) :D x2 will obviously be using increasing amounts of memory the whole time it's flattening so if your page-file kicks in, you may have a really long wait on your hands.

Again, you could try breaking it down into smaller pieces - you don't need to select all the VK folders at the same time. (A quick test on my machine took about 10 minutes to flatten my C:\ drive, and that's only 170,000 objects. :shrug:)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

x2 needs around 1K for each item it shows, so 3M items need 3GB of memory. That's immediately only possible in x64 windows and if you have lots of ram. Probably you'd have to leave it as an overnight job too :)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

makinero wrote:I would like to remove duplicates (ONLY visual similarity) unnecessary files
Checking visual similarity of photo-contents is well beyond x2's task - though this may be worth experimenting with... :shrug:

(Hmm - a scrap-container with 3 million items... how much memory would the <Alt+C> command alone consume? Can the clipboard even scale to that?)
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Maybe you should heed Tuxman’s suggestion:
Swiss File Knife - A Command Line Tools Collection

Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

1. Go to Swiss File Knife - A Command Line Tools Collection
2. Download the “SFK for Windows” command-line utility (SFK for Windows).
3. Install this utility on your system.
4. Launch SFK for Windows on your system with the following command-line:

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

makinero wrote:I have no idea what this is about
It's just a command-line utility. You don't need to "install" it, you just place the exe somewhere like C:\SFK.EXE

Then you open up a command prompt, and use something with explicit directories:

C:\sfk.exe list -dir C:\VK* -file .jpg > C:\jpeglist.txt

It'll work fine.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Put the exe in your C:\ folder. Then use a command prompt (hit <F10>) and type in the line I used above into your addressbar (correcting the paths for wherever your VK folders are stored. That's it. :shrug:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

It does work. You won't see anything while it's processing, but just keep refreshing the folder where the .txt file is and you'll see its size getting larger while it's processing.

Try it first on a small folder (any folder with jpg's in it). For your 3 million files you just have to have patience.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

I could not make it work from within xplorer²: at best I got empty files.
But I could make it work using Windows PowerShell. For example, running “.\sfk list windows .jpg > e:\tempz\list.txt” gave me a full list of all “.jpg” files present in c:\windows. The list was written into “e:\tempz\list.txt”.
HTH.
Cheers
Robert
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Hey makinero, please chill out! We are only trying to help here! And we don’t have the same file system as you have to check if command-lines are working or not on your system.
The command-line I suggested did work on my system. Tuxman’s suggestion might not have been suited to your special needs, but you could have adjusted it as I did to fit my own file system.

On my (Windows 8.1 Update 1) system, I have a folder named “E:\Multimedia Library”. It has plenty of sub-folders, each with a number of “.jpg” files. I got a proper listing of these “.jpg” files across all sub-folders by running the following command-line from the Windows PowerShell:

PS C:\> .\sfk list "E:\Multimedia Library" .jpg > e:\tempz\jpglist.txt
As “PS C:\>” indicates, I launched that PowerShell command from the “C:\” root folder. “Sfk.exe” was located in that root folder. That command-line did work on my system!

Now on my system, some of the sub-folders under “E:\Multimedia Library” have got names beginning with “Clip”. Running the following PowerShell command-line, I got a proper listing of all the “.jpg” files located within sub-folders beginning with “Clip” (and followed by numbers and or letters) under the “E:” drive:

PS C:\> .\sfk list -dir E:\ \Clip* -file .jpg > e:\tempz\jpglist.txt
You’ve got to work out which command-line suits your particular system and needs.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

You never said which Windows system you have. This might very well be a factor.

Also it is not quite clear how you launched your “SFK” command-lines. Did you use the Windows PowerShell tool?

In which folder did you place “sfk.exe”?

Which exact command-line(s) did you run?

Note that the following command-line works from the Windows PowerShell on my Windows 8.1 system:

PS C:\> .\sfk list -dir E:\ \Clip* -file .jpg > e:\tempz\jpglist.txt
However, I need to use a slightly different code if I use the Windows CMD command prompt (the “period+backward slash” must be omitted):

C:\> sfk list -dir E:\ \Clip* -file .jpg > e:\tempz\jpglist.txt
Last edited by Robert2 on 2014 Apr 15, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.