Problems with v2500

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

jpegman

Problems with v2500

Post by jpegman »

Running Win8.1 update 1 with Start8 "start menu"

Updated my Xplorer2 Ult 64bit from v2401 to v2500 and have many problems with getting to "normal" Microsoft utilities - like control panel, windows updates, Screen settings, personalization, etc. Everytime I right click or try to jump to an old shortcut link, Xplorer2 wants me to be in a new instance of Xplorer2 inside some folder which tells me "there was some kind of problem like sending the command to the program (attachment #1).

So after several hours of frustration, I decided to reinstall my old version over v2500, but, the program won't let me (see attachment #2)

Nikos - what gives. Short of totally uninstalling and reinstalling, what can I do. Version 2500 is useless to me, and I don't want to totally uninstall it so I have to manually customize a totally new install of version 2401 waiting for you to fix version2500.

Right now, I kind of limp around trying different ways to do what I want and it's frustrating.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems with v2500

Post by nikos »

the new version completely replaces windows explorer, but only if YOU tell it so. So you ticked the option to replace windows explorer with xplorer2, and that's what happens. If you don't like the replacement then just undo it as explained here
http://www.zabkat.com/blog/replace-explorer-2.5.htm

there is also a mid-way solution, have xplorer2 work for most folders except those problematic ones from the control panel. For this use TOOLS > ADVANCED OPTIONS menu command and tick the following option

jpegman

Post by jpegman »

I had tried that before I posted and it didn't work. Then I tried to install the v2401 on top and that didn't work. So today, I uninstalled it and reinstalled with the blog posting (http://www.zabkat.com/blog/replace-explorer-2.5.htm) showing the replacement unticked, and it went well. I assume I can't try the less radical advanced option control panel exception since that option doesn't show up ( it must only appear if I chose the total replacement during the install, I assume.)

Thanks Nikos
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Hi!

Nikos for me it doesn't work either. I have "Windows 8.1 update 1" and when I installed yesterday "xplorer2 v2.5", I also had installed "Desktop (search) rules". The problema was that when I tryed to open "My Computer", Desktop Search Rules pop-up.

I decided to uninstal Desktop Rules but, eventhough I reinstalled xplorer 2.5 with Windows Explorer replacement activated, for me it just doesn´t work.

Any idea?

Thanks
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you keep installing uninstalling and reinstalling things with different options all the time, confusion will ensue. Try to install v2.5 LAST and tick the replacement option. If it still doesn't work see what these registry key default values are

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Hi,

I've run the installation again following the steps as you asked. For the registry values, here you have the results:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\Shell --> open_x2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\Shell --> open_x2

That's it. Thanks for your time and help.
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Did you get some solution to this issue Nikos?

Thanks
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I am fixing several things as we speak, let's try this again after version 2501 is released
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Ok, thanks :wink:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

did you install xplorer2 replacing explorer for ALL users?