when i click my computer its open for ever by xplorer2 ??

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

gabour76

when i click my computer its open for ever by xplorer2 ??

Post by gabour76 »

hi all can any one help me ?
i want do this:
use xplorer2 to open my computer
and when i click my computer its open for ever by xplorer2
how can i do it>>>>
thx all :roll:
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

please look through the FAQs, especially  C1
gabour76

Post by gabour76 »

thy i found some help with this:
control panel > folder options > file types

scroll down to "file folders", go into "advanced" options, highlight "open_x2" and click "set default"
Dexter_prog

Re: when i click my computer its open for ever by xplorer2 ?

Post by Dexter_prog »

hey. Bumping this because as of last verson (2.5.0.2) xplorer² took over my "computer" default view (I like the windows default view for this) and also I can no longer opne control panel and other system like routes. I do like xplorer² to replace windows explorer, but I'd like the old behavior back and can't find this in the FAQ
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

For the Control Panel, tick Tools -> Advanced Options -> Global (Tab) -> Don't browse Control Panel folders. This will allow Windows Explorer to do the appropriate rendering.

As for "My Computer", you're out of luck - the only reason it wasn't included in the "replace mode" originally was because Nikos couldn't figure out how to do it at the time - what you perceive as an annoying change is actually a "correction" (in the greater scheme of things). :wink:
Dexter_prog

Post by Dexter_prog »

hmm, well, then could I get a download link for version 2.4.0.1? That's the one I had before this one and I forgot to backup the installer. Can't find it anywhere on the net

edit: damn, rolled back to 2.4.0.0 and with that version I can't open my computer or control panel, plus it gives me an error while trying to open control panel :/
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Dexter_prog wrote:rolled back to 2.4.0.0 and with that version I can't open my computer or control panel, plus it gives me an error while trying to open control panel :/
Always deactivate "replacement mode" before installing an older version.

Re-install 2.5 again (with replacement-mode selected), and then un-install it properly (you can safely retain your settings and license). Then try the 2.4 installer. You cannot "install over" when downgrading.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Actually, if you use the Classic Shell Start Menu (as everyone should anyway) to launch your "My Computer", you can just edit the "Computer" start menu option to read "explorer ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}" and it will open explorer once at the appropriate page, and any selection after that will invoke x2 as "the old way", even when using 2.5's replacement mode.

Or, if you don't use Classic Shell, creating a shortcut to any folder, and editing its "Target" property to "explorer.exe ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}" will also accomplish the same thing.

Better this than downgrading over minutia. :shrug:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the simpler solution is to use the latest v2.5 and not make it replace windows explorer
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:the simpler solution is...
When the OP said "I do like xplorer² to replace windows explorer, but I'd like the old behavior back", I took him at his word and tried to give him what he wanted. But you, Mr. Evil Developer, just always take the Microsoft approach and jam as much nonsense down your poor customers throats as possible under the arrogant assumption that you know best. Image

But you don't know best. You consistently underestimate what "simpler" really means for the determined individual!

It's almost as if you never read the Count of Monte Cristo! All you have to do is look at what a horrible crock Google "streetview" made of Mont St. Michel to know that the same should never be allowed to happen to the Château d'If! It's no mistake that the only way to rescue an unlikely national treasure is to storm the Bastille Saint-Antoine!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

one of the strengths of xplorer2 is that it can browse everywhere. If I disable mycomputer and virtual folders then a large part of the program's point is wasted
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:If I disable mycomputer and virtual folders then a large part of the program's point is wasted
Mountains and molehills, my good man, relax the cacks. He only wanted My Computer rendered by explorer (it does do a better job, by some people's aesthetic standards, under certain settings - but it is purely aesthetic). And considering that x2 couldn't substitute that element before you messed with your DDE hocus-pocus, people got "used" to using it "broken". :shrug:

I'm not saying he's right (it doesn't effect functionality at all) - I'm just saying you're missing the point (as usual). How or never, my solution (above) works, so waltzing in late to the party and saying it's "easier" not to use something someone actually wants to use is a really weird approach.

As the king of resorting to "work-around" excuses instead of offering proper programme options, I thought you'd appreciate that! :wink:

Maybe Stephen King was right after all - it's not Alexander Dumas, it's really Alexander Dumb-Ass. Which has got to be one of the more classic movie scenes for the cultured amongst us ever. :D
Dexter_prog

Post by Dexter_prog »

nikos wrote:If I disable mycomputer and virtual folders then a large part of the program's point is wasted
How so? I'm using this as a windows explorer replacement, I never wanted it to overtake control panel, network (losing functionality such as going to network sharing and cneter with one click) and my computer. I don't see the problem with making an option to disable that if it is possible.