Comment column

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

kike_ast

Comment column

Post by kike_ast »

Greetins to the xplorer2 users and developers.
I have download and use latest version of xplorer2 [0.0.0.49]. I have test the "what's new" features, and I have found it useful most of them.
I only have some kind of problem with the comment feature in the files. I can set a comment to the file with ALT-Z, but, as I understand reading the alpha.txt document, the coment could be seen in a "new stock column for comments". I have not that column in any of the panes, and i can not set.
I only have the usual columns : Name, size, modified and attributes

Did I undestand wrong, or ther is other way to set that column ?
Regards.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

1. If you had the previous copies of x2 (v48, for example) close them first, and then run V49. Otherwise actually you are running the old version!

Check version in the help menu (select "about xplorer2" option).

2. Use ALT+K and select "comment" column from the master list.

Don't be discouraged if you find this column blank: Most of the files will NOT have comments. They are there only if the authors have inserted any.

Also, MS Office files with extensions like- ppt, xls, doc, pps, mpp are most likely to have comments. Other types won't have comments anyway, unless you use x2 (now) to add the comments.

Use ALT+Z to add/edit comments in individual files. These appear immediately in the "comment" column (if activated), but are not directly editable (don't try to click and edit).
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

This comments field also depends on the windows version. NTFS systems (WinNT, Win2k and WinXP) I think should be able to see comments. I don't think that Win98, WinME or Win95 will be able to see them.
Vas
kike_ast

Post by kike_ast »

Narayan, many thanks for your quick answer.
I am running the last version 0.0.0.49. As mentioned, I test the other new features and run, even the ALT-Z. But theres is NOT a column called Comments, neither I can see any of the text I have insert in some files by pressing ALT-Z in any of the panes. However, the text is succesfuly inserted in the comments fields, but is needed to press the properties of the file, then Summanry, and check Descrictipion-Comments field.
Again, the version of the program is the last, 0.0.0.49, is what is said by pressing Help, About...

Am I only having this problem ?
Thanks
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

So are you saying you are not able to see the "comment" column at all in the ALT+K dialog box? Strange!

Does ALT+K work for other columns? I hate to ask the obvious, but are you using the panes in "detailes" style? ALT+K won't work in other styles.

Which is your operating system? (NT4/XP/98, etc..)

BTW I tried the feature on NT4, and it works even in FAT32 drives! I can insert comments, and also view them.

P.S. After inserting a comment, wait for a few seconds: the comment appears after a short delay. But all that provided you can see the column :)
kike_ast

Post by kike_ast »

Narayan... you can kill if you want !!!
I didnt now about th (very useful) ALT-K function to add/remove columns (again... kill me). So I added the comment column, and, of course, it works, i can see the comments of the files, and believe me, this is a feature that i was looking for many time ago, I will use.
So, please forgive me for the the time lost.
Many thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

a word of warning for all you comment enthusiasts: have a read of alpha.txt to see when you risk loosing comments if you aren't careful