Extract subfolders

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

lin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Extract subfolders

Post by lin »

I have a lot of directories ,with sub directories in them, i want to extract and move these ( en masse )and delete the main dirs .
Is this possible ?
Thanks
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Extract subfolders

Post by nikos »

you could do this with some creative thinking and using FILE > BROWSE FLAT, EDIT > PASTE STRUCTURED SCRAP CLIPS
lin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by lin »

Could you elaborate ?
i see only files in the scrap, no sub dirs .
Also there is no " PASTE STRUCTURED SCRAP CLIPS"in the edit menu

If it is too complicated i'll let it go, if it is a few simple steps i can do it.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

See page 417 of the PDF manual for a more in-depth explanation of what Structured Clips are, if they're applicable to your task, and how to use them. The menu option is under Edit -> Paste Special, but read up on them first before taking your socks off - cold waters run deep. :wink:
lin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by lin »

Kilmatead wrote:See page 417 of the PDF manual for a more in-depth explanation of what Structured Clips are, if they're applicable to your task, and how to use them. The menu option is under Edit -> Paste Special, but read up on them first before taking your socks off - cold waters run deep. :wink:
Thanks ,looks powerful ; but this is too complicated for me...

I want to move ( or copy , the original folder structure on W:/ will be deleted ) Subfolder 1and Subfolder 2 etc . including the files in it to drive H:/

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

I'm not sure I understand - is there some reason a normal copy/move operation on selected contents of the root-folder from one drive to the other won't work? When you copy a folder, its subfolder-structure/contents are always preserved.

:confused:
lin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by lin »

Kilmatead wrote:I'm not sure I understand - is there some reason a normal copy/move operation on selected contents of the root-folder from one drive to the other won't work? When you copy a folder, its subfolder-structure/contents are always preserved.

:confused:
I have a few hundred folders like this,so doing them one by one is a chore...
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Have these subfolders got any common textual string in their names? Are they associated with any specific numbering format or range?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

lin wrote:I have a few hundred folders like this,so doing them one by one is a chore...
There is no need to do them one by one. Select all the folders you wish to move (either as Robert2 suggests using a common-string in the name, or just something like <Ctrl+A> if you're moving everything) then hit <F6> and choose a destination. Robust move will have no difficulty with virtually any number of folders - all you have to do select them.
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

As well as Ctrl+A (select all) or a filter, you can also use Ctrl+Alt+Q to select only folders, then copy or move en-masse
Vas
lin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by lin »

Robert2 wrote:Have these subfolders got any common textual string in their names? Are they associated with any specific numbering format or range?
No ,only the main folders have common strings.
EDIT: There is a commonality : in all subfolders is a file with "sfv"extension, perhaps i can do something with this ?
Last edited by lin on 2014 Aug 07, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
lin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by lin »

Kilmatead wrote:
lin wrote:I have a few hundred folders like this,so doing them one by one is a chore...
There is no need to do them one by one. Select all the folders you wish to move (either as Robert2 suggests using a common-string in the name, or just something like <Ctrl+A> if you're moving everything) then hit <F6> and choose a destination. Robust move will have no difficulty with virtually any number of folders - all you have to do select them.
If you look at the screenshot example , i only want to move the subfolder , so i fail to see how <Ctrl+A> can select only the subfolders.
lnbrantley

Post by lnbrantley »

Search for *.sfv
Results go to a scrap container
CTRL-A to select all rows. Select the Path column
CTRL-ALT-P
Create a new scrap container. Paste.
This should have a list of all folders which contain *.sfv files with no duplicates.
You may have subfolders of other folders already on this list, so you may have to select only the top level folders from this list
You can sort using the Path column in this container to easily select the top level folders only.
Select the desired folders. Cut and paste to new location.

Something like that should work.
lin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by lin »

lnbrantley wrote:Search for *.sfv
Results go to a scrap container
CTRL-A to select all rows. Select the Path column
CTRL-ALT-P
Create a new scrap container. Paste.
This should have a list of all folders which contain *.sfv files with no duplicates.
Thanks but the folders listed in the new scrap container are the top folders , not the subs .
lin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by lin »

Sorry, i mistakenly said the "sfv"files reside in the subfolder, they are files in the main folder