New Feature Suggestion

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

GWNI

New Feature Suggestion

Post by GWNI »

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I found that I was unable to drag a folder from my Top Horizontal frame to my Lower Horizontal frame.
Am I doing something wrong or is it possible that this has not been suggested / implemented before?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Feature Suggestion

Post by nikos »

you can right click on the tab and use MOVE ACROSS command from the menu, or simply press CTRL+I key
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

GWNI wrote:Unless I'm doing something wrong, I found that I was unable to drag a folder from my Top Horizontal frame to my Lower Horizontal frame.
Am I doing something wrong or is it possible that this has not been suggested / implemented before?
I'm assuming by horizontal frame you mean the two areas where files and folders are displayed - see attachment

That's happened to me a couple of times, I simply closed X2 and tried again and it was OK. Can't think of what might have triggered it. It's only happened a couple of times since I updated to latest version a month or two ago, not often enough to complain about.

RP
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
MrXero

Post by MrXero »

I'd be interested to know what happens if you switch the two panes around (Ctrl+U) then drag the other way (ie from bottom to top rather than top to bottom). This probably sounds like the stupidest suggestion ever, but I have a reason for making it. I routinely have problems when I'm working in Remote Desktop, with the right-hand pane showing a mapped drive on my PC and the left-hand pane showing a local folder on the server I'm RDP'd onto. If I try to drag anything in either direction, X2 doesn't even recognize the target pane as a valid "drop target". The same problem occurs if I try to use the built-in copy functions (which I have showing as toolbar icons) - they seem to just fail silently, no error messages, no files copied.

This was a major annoyance for a long time, but then in a moment of desperation one day I switched the panes with Ctrl+U and tried dragging and copying the other way. To my utter astonishment, it worked!

My feeling at the moment is that the left and right panes (or top and bottom if that's your preference) are simply not created equal. With the PC's mapped drive open in the right-hand pane, a copy to or from that drive usually fails (but not absolutely always, intriguingly! occasionally it works, but not often). With the PC's mapped drive open in the left hand pane I can copy files to or from that pane without problems - as far as I can recall it has *never* failed. (When working with RDP and allowing the session to communicate with the PC's local drives, the path appears as a network address such as \\tsclient\X , btw - that may well be a factor in the problem)

Anyway, next time you have problems try doing a Ctrl+U and then dragging the other way - I'd be fascinated to know if it makes any difference!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if we are talking about file drag-drop, the pane shouldn't make any difference so I don't know why it is happenning. Are both panes in the same view mode? Perhaps if there's any view style difference (columns in detailed mode for example), this could be a clue
MrXero

Post by MrXero »

Well, I don't go overboard with columns, and I work almost exclusively in details mode. In the left pane I have name, size, modified date, attributes, create date. In the right-hand pane I have name, size, modified date, create date, accessed date, and attributes. (They're not different for any good reason - the left setting would be my normal working default, but I've obviously added "accessed date" to the other pane at some time when trying to track something down).

I've just tried this to be sure of what I'm seeing, and it's even stranger than I thought. As a starting position I have the left pane open onto a local directory on the C: drive of the server I'm running X2 on (within an RDP session); the right pane is showing a directory on my PC, which is accessed via mapped drive X:. As I'm in RDP, this appears in X2 (and Windows Explorer, of course), as the network path \\tsclient\X

Now, I tried to drag a file from left to right, ie from the server to my PC's mapped X drive; the right-hand pane is not accessible as a drop target - the mouse cursor changes to a stop sign. I then did a Ctrl+U to switch the pane contents over. When I now drag that same file from right to left, it works without problems - hovering over the left pane (which is now opened onto the mapped drive) causes the cursor to change to a [+], showing that the drop target is valid, and releasing the button causes the file to be copied as you'd expect.

Now it gets even weirder...

I did another Ctrl+U to switch the two panes back to their starting configurations, and - guess what? - now, I'm able to perform the original drag-and-drop copy without problems. The right-hand pane is suddenly a valid drop target again... *for now*.

Any thoughts?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

let's try something else. First save your program settings, and keep them safe in a REG file (use ACTIONS > EXPORT SETTINGS menu command). Then uninstall xplorer2 and answer YES to have all settings removed. Then reinstall the program and see if this weird problem happens again. Finally quit xplorer2 and restore your settings from the saved REG file. What happens?
MrXero

Post by MrXero »

For a moment there, Nikos, I thought I might have been wasting your time - I noticed that the version on the server was pretty old (2.2) and thought maybe that was the problem! Not so, though, unfortunately. I uninstalled it and told the uninstaller to remove all settings (including my licence info just to be sure), then reinstalled the latest version from the website. Even without re-importing my saved settings the clean reinstalled version gives the same behaviour. Initially, X2 refuses any attempt to drag-and-drop to or from the mapped drive pane. I did two Ctrl+U 's in quick succession, and that was enough to make it work.

Out of curiosity, I exited the program with the mapped drive in the left pane (and I always use save settings on exit). When I launched X2 again, it open with the mapped drive on the left as expected - and there was no problem copying stuff to or from that pane. It seems only to break when the mapped drive is in the right pane.

Btw, I've no idea whether any of this has any bearing on the OP's problem - sorry!
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

nikos wrote:let's try something else. First save your program settings, and keep them safe in a REG file (use ACTIONS > EXPORT SETTINGS menu command). Then uninstall xplorer2 and answer YES to have all settings removed. Then reinstall the program and see if this weird problem happens again. Finally quit xplorer2 and restore your settings from the saved REG file. What happens?
I don't think I can make its happen on demand, besides which I normally use F5/6 rather than the mouse. In my normal setup the two panes are identical in terms of columns and I rarely use anything but detail view.

When I think about it, maybe its not dragdrop between xplorer2 panes, but dragdrop from Windows Explorer eg the desktop into an X2 pane - that's why I would have stopped and started X2 - if it had been dragdrop between panes I would have just used F6.

Which reminds me of a little thing that I wish X2 had - Restart, with a kb short if possible.

There's another scenario where I sometimes have to do a restart, play an FLV in MPC, quit MPC and delete the containing folder. In X2 the folder 'sticks' but I can't open it or delete it.

If I have a look with Windows Explorer it's there, its empty, and it can be deleted. If I do that, then after stop/start X2 its gone. If I don't stop/start X2 it hangs around for the rest of the day.

If I just stop and then start X2 its there, its empty and it can be deleted - so that's what I normally do. I doesn't happen every time, its definitely something to do with MPC, maybe in combination with something else Evernote maybe, firefox maybe, Word maybe and I think it only happens with FLV's, but I could be wrong on that.

Neither of these things bother me much, I wouldn't have mentioned them but for this thread.

RP
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

RightPaddock wrote:When I think about it, maybe its not dragdrop between xplorer2 panes, but dragdrop from Windows Explorer eg the desktop into an X2 pane
Now that's a whole other kettle of smelly fish... worrying about desktop elevation permissions under UAC is not a healthy thing to add to the mix. Especially when Drag-n-Drop is non-elevated-explorer-based, as is the desktop itself... messy, messy, messy...
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

RightPaddock wrote:Which reminds me of a little thing that I wish X2 had - Restart, with a kb short if possible.

There's another scenario where I sometimes have to do a restart, play an FLV in MPC, quit MPC and delete the containing folder. In X2 the folder 'sticks' but I can't open it or delete it.

If I have a look with Windows Explorer it's there, its empty, and it can be deleted. If I do that, then after stop/start X2 its gone. If I don't stop/start X2 it hangs around for the rest of the day.

If I just stop and then start X2 its there, its empty and it can be deleted - so that's what I normally do. I doesn't happen every time, its definitely something to do with MPC, maybe in combination with something else Evernote maybe, firefox maybe, Word maybe and I think it only happens with FLV's, but I could be wrong on that.

Neither of these things bother me much, I wouldn't have mentioned them but for this thread.

RP
that sounds like the behavior you get when 'don't lock browsed folder' is enabled... basically the last folder that you launched something from gets locked and stays locked until you launch something from another folder...
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

FrizzleFry wrote:that sounds like the behavior you get when 'don't lock browsed folder' is enabled... basically the last folder that you launched something from gets locked and stays locked until you launch something from another folder...
I do have it enabled - no idea why, been that way since the year dot. I'll turn it off, and if there's no collateral damage on 'normal' operations I'll leave it off. I didn't even know X2 had a 'DOS Console', which is what the tooltip for that option says it effects - I use ConEmu (doesn't everyone :alien:).

Because its one of those things that happens occasionally I can't test my MPC case, I'm not motivated to seek out a repeatable instance. If I don't get the problem over the next few months then I'll try to remember to come back and say so.

But I'd still like a Restart menu item/button/kb short, I guess I could do an AHK script but then I'd have to 'maintain' it.

RP
GWNI

Post by GWNI »

Nikos,
Ha! Many thanks "move across" is exactly what I was looking for.

Be well,
G
:beer:
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

FrizzleFry wrote:
RightPaddock wrote:Which reminds me of a little thing that I wish X2 had - Restart, with a kb short if possible.
Personally I don't need a restart button in x2. But I often think the advanced settings editor really could offer to start x2 again after you're finished with the settings.
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

RightPaddock wrote:
FrizzleFry wrote:that sounds like the behavior you get when 'don't lock browsed folder' is enabled... basically the last folder that you launched something from gets locked and stays locked until you launch something from another folder...
I do have it enabled - no idea why, been that way since the year dot. I'll turn it off, and if there's no collateral damage on 'normal' operations I'll leave it off... Because its one of those things that happens occasionally I can't test my MPC case, I'm not motivated to seek out a repeatable instance. If I don't get the problem over the next few months then I'll try to remember to come back and say so.
Well I failed to remember to come back, didn't I :oops:

A recent thread from dunno reminded me of this thread. I am pretty certain turning "Don't lock browsed folder" off fixed this problem - haven't had an non-delete-able folder for months.

Thanks again FrizzleFry

RP