There was a problem sending the command to the program

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

lister

There was a problem sending the command to the program

Post by lister »

I don't have Xplorer2 set to replace Windows Explorer but if I choose to open any folder with Xplorer2 (via the context menu) then this warning pops up. I'm on Windows 8.1.
Is there any way to fix this? Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: There was a problem sending the command to the program

Post by nikos »

try uninstalling xplorer2 then reinstall it as you want it. If it still happens then it means you have something on your system that is eating up DDE notifications. Does the folder open up despite this message?
MikeA01730

Post by MikeA01730 »

Hi,

I'm on Win7 and had this problem. This problem happened consistently on 3 win7 PCs and one Vista system. All have all MS updates applied. The Xplorer2 version is 2.5.0.4 Unicode.

When I install with the options "Open all folders with Xplorer2 ...", "Replace explorer ...", and "Use a separate single-pane window ..." the problem occurs. When I disable "Use a separate single-pane window ..." the problem goes away.

Mike
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i'll have a look
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I cannot reproduce that on my win7, can anybody else?
MikeA01730 when you have the "single pane" option selected, do you see the message every time or only the first time xplorer2 opens?
MikeA01730

Post by MikeA01730 »

Nikos,

I made the change & couldn't recall exactly how to create the problem (i.e. open a folder how?) I started Xplorer2 and opened files by clicking on a folder in the left pane & it worked fine. I tried a few things and then double-clicked in a desktop shortcut and the problem occurred. I tried it several times and every time it happened again. I looked at the Process manager & saw that 2 Xplorer2 instances were running, & killed them both. After that when I double-clicked on the same shortcut the problem didn't occur & now I can't make it occur again.

That's from memory. I might have some detail wrong, but I think it's mostly correct.

I tried to attach the link for you, the the file open dialog box treats it as a link instead of a file. So I looked at the properties & the type is Shortcut (.lnk), the target type is File folder, and the Target is C:\Users\Mike\Documents\Travel.

Regards,
Mike
MikeA01730

Post by MikeA01730 »

Nikos,

So I was done, & I reinstalled with "Open all folders with Xplorer2 ..." enabled, "Replace explorer ..." enabled, and "Use a separate single-pane window ..." disabled. I thought that based on my previous note (I don't recall all this) the problem would go away again.

But it didn't. It happened every time I double-clicked on a desktop shortcut. So I looked at the processes running & there were 2 Xplorer2 processes running. I killed them both, and the problem went away.

So now I know I have to kill the xplorer2 processes to avoid this problem, but I don't know how to make it work when I reboot & don't do that.

Good luck.

Mike
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

did you change anything manually in the registry, or were you running xplorer2 at all using the /P command line switch? It is hard to understand how there can be 2 processes running in explorer replacement mode
MikeA01730

Post by MikeA01730 »

Nikos,

No to both.

The only thought I have is that after I did this I saw a note somewhere that said that I should not reinstall without undoing the explorer replacement first. I didn't do that.

Right now I show 1 Xplorer2 process running in the Task Manager with two Xplorer2 windows. When I end both windows the Task Manager still shows 1 task. That's what I'd expect.

Other than that I don't know why I'd have extra tasks.

Mike
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

do you have perhaps more than one version of xplorer2 installed on your system?
RLRandall

Post by RLRandall »

I've installed xplorer2 with the option to replace File Explorer (Windows 10). When I double click on a folder on my desktop (not from within X2) I get this error, "There was a problem sending the command to the program".

Looking on the website I came to this thread where this very problem was discussed. A prior suggestion was to use the Task Manager to see if there were two xplorer2 processes running. There were. And as the user reported back in 2014, killing one of them solved the problem.

So three questions: 1) how did I manage to get two processes, 2) why does it cause this error message, and 3) how can I prevent that from happening?

According to Control Panel/Programs and Features the only program installed is "xplorer2 professional 64 bit". It's version 3.2.0.2. The process is "xplorer2_64.exe".

Thanks, Nikos - I use the program routinely, and it's fabulous. (And that's without even fully understanding what it's capable of! :D)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

please reboot your computer and if you still have this problem let me know. It is explained sometimes when you have multiple versions of xplorer2 installed or/and running