deskrule build .44 released

Discussion and support for Desktop Rules and i-DeClone

Moderator: nikos

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

deskrule build .44 released

Post by nikos »

this is optimized to work with the new shell extension that browses into all sorts of compressed archives. Now you can search in 7Z/RAR/ISO and other archives without extracting the files! You can search for names/dates even for file contents. Just make sure you tick "search in virtual folders" setting (press F12).
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: deskrule build .44 released

Post by sanferno »

I've tested for some days your new shell extension and it's cool! It works both in x2 and DR.
Great job Nikos, can't wait to see new improvements on future releases.

Thank you
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

can you try a little something for me? with deskrule search inside some supported archive (any type) and try to find text inside PDF files. Do it a couple of times in a row. (a) does it find the text? (b) does it hang or crash?
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Hi Nikos, I've tested what you mentioned:

a) It does find text on 7zip and regular ZIP files, but not inside RAR ones (though I think the first time I installed your shell extension it did, could be somethin with last DR update?)

b) It doesn't crash at anytime. But if you remember, I've disabled some trick you said here: http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?f=29 ... =15#p67675
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

first make sure the 7z extension is registered: can xplorer2 enter into RAR archives?
then double check if the PDFs inside your RAR are too big, there is a limit for extracting in archives (press F12 in deskrule)
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Here you have some pics:

1) Registration
reg.jpg
2) PDFs properties inside compressed files (I think they are tiny):
pdf.jpg
I can explore 7zip and ZIP files in x2, but not RAR which opens with WinRAR :?

EDIT: I think the problem is that I already have associate RAR with WinRAR and, for instance, ISO with Daemon Tools. Is it possible to disassociate them in order to use x2 as default?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there is a fix coming for this kind of problem but in the meantime you can use the default programs applet from control panel and pass RAR ownership to SevenZipFolder extension
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Well, I made it to work. I've uninstalled Winrar, and now I can access compressed files both in X2 and Windows Explorer.
After reboot, Zip files required to be set for open with Windows Explorer.

As a suggestion, I don't know if this is possible for you, actually there's no way to set as default your plugin because there's no ".exe" like 7zip or others have.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you try the 1008 beta of the 7z plugin you'll see it does things better for the registration part
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

There's some kind of mess going on now. 7zip and RAR files are not working as they should. If open this type of files it pops-up "Open with..." dialog. They seem to be blocked somehow. Rest of extensions works as the should.
:?
mess.jpg
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Run the 7zNSE config again, and recheck the 7z and RAR values. If that doesn't help, I notice from your screenshot above that you're using the "All Users" setting - quite possibly another programme (WinRAR, etc) has used the "Current User" slot instead, and modified it. Switch the 7zNSE Config itself to "Current User" mode and reassign them again.

Current User will "override" the All Users setting if there are conflicting values for the actual current user (you). :shrug:

Do not use the "Open With" thing - that will bring the whole house of cards crashing down, with bodies lying everywhere, torn asunder, entrails entrailing, carrion birds circling overhead... just altogether bad juju. :wink:
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Hi,

Finally I made it by adding this two entries:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.rar\UserChoice
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.7z\UserChoice

Setting Progid key to SevenZipFolder on both cases.

Now works smooth. WinRAR sets a lot of keys and it's hard to wipe them out. Anyway, I think from now on, Nikos' shell extension will operate as it should. :wink:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

WinRAR itself did not set those keys, Windows itself did when you used manual association.

This problem definitely stemmed from your use of "Open With" to re-associate the filetype. I was able to recreate it by using that to select WinRAR after 7zNSE association, and it definitely screws things up in a big way. The easier solution is to actually delete the existing \UserChoice key altogether and (if necessary) reassociate it with Config, however, your approach works too. :shrug:

Since this is likely to be a common problem, I may have to look into building a special "Please Run Config as Admin to Repair Your Own Screwup" sort of thing, as asking normal users to plod around in those keys is not wise.

Unfortunately as this is actually a system-protected key, trying to change it "programmatically" is not going to be so simple - but I suppose a few evenings navel-gazing over security descriptors in registry ACL's will be in order. <Sigh> PITA.

On the plus-side, this problem does not occur on Win8+, it's something special for Win7 alone. Oh goody. :D
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

"Please Run Config as Admin to Repair Your Own Screwup"
Thank you Kilmatead, that will certainly ease the issue. As you mentioned right, the problem was the abusive use of "Open with" but, you know, sometimes you need to take a walk in the wild side. :alien:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

My life seemed a lot easier (and filled with much more sleep) back when you were too engrossed in your topographical maps to worry about this silly computer-nonsense. Get that bloody PhD thesis of yours done already will you? I need my rest! :D