Way to copy found files and folder that contains them

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Way to copy found files and folder that contains them

Post by pschroeter »

I have thousands of photos with the odd numbered names the camera gives them by default, that are organized into folders that actually describe them and give the date taken. I can find specific photos by their tags, but is there a way to copy the found files and the folder that contains them? I would like to wind up with only the folders that contain photos with the tags I want, plus the contents to only be the photos with the tags I want. The folder structure does not go deeper than one level.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Way to copy found files and folder that contains them

Post by nikos »

are you looking for paste scrap clips menu command? see here
www.zabkat.com/blog/10Aug08-paste-special.htm
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Way to copy found files and folder that contains them

Post by Kilmatead »

In case the blog is not descriptively clear, page 417 of the PDF manual provides a more thorough description, or just try this:

Essentially once you have "found" (searched, collected, coerced, bribed) all the files you want (from different locations) into a scrap container, just select them all and right-click Copy (or Ctrl+C), then go back to x2 proper and browse to wherever you want to locate the new structures (and their contained files), then hit Edit -> Paste Special -> Structured Scrap Clips and all the files (from your scrap container) will be copied into duplicates of their original folder structures at the new location.

The benefit here is that you recreate (only the necessary nodes of) the same folder structure(s), and only copy the actual objects that you wanted into them, leaving their other contents behind. This sounds like what you're looking for (broadly speaking).
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you Nikos and Kilmatead

Post by pschroeter »

Thank you Nikos and Kilmatead, that was exactly what I needed and it worked like a charm. I have generally found that if I think xplorer² should be able to do something I want, it usually can.

Nikos, I’ve been meaning to thank you profusely for the Saved filters menu you added to Autofilter in the last big upgrade, I use it multiple times a day. One day it would be nice if I could hook keyboard commands and buttons to them. I have also found the rename much, much more useful.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Thank you Nikos and Kilmatead

Post by Kilmatead »

For God's sake, don't massage his ego - that just encourages him to take more self-satisfied cat-naps. :wink:
pschroeter wrote:One day it would be nice if I could hook keyboard commands and buttons to them.
If you mean "make a dedicated toolbar-button out of a specific named-filter", you can do this with x2Filter rather easily by defining a user-command as: > x2Filter.exe /Filter="Sample" and making a button out of it. (Lamentably, these buttons can't be made to "toggle", but it's better than nought.)

The latest beta of x2Filter even allows the user to define their own custom icons to the user-filters in its menu and serves as a full meta-substitute to Nikos' boring old auto-filter menu - if you're into that kind of thing...