man at work again

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

man at work again

Post by nikos »

I'm preparing a small update for xplorer2, the main feature will be in-place editing of properties (like a spreadsheet), inside a detailed view
if you have any pressing requests that can be done easily, let me know and I'll add them to the list

ps. does anybody know how to convert SWF to any other video format that youtube understands? I tried many of the online and downloadable conversion software, but none can understand the wink demo videos I made for xplorer2 !
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: man at work again

Post by otlaolap »

For my own use, because I could not find such a feature in an explorer program, I wrote a program that lets me easily rename batches of files when the renaming is not susceptible to an algorithm (i.e. it cannot be handled by an X2-like rename pane or by the Bulk Rename Utility). It lists each file in a folder on a separate line, and has two columns. The left column gives me the current name of the file on disk and the other, fully editable, gives me initially the current name but allows me to overtype whatever I want for a name. There are also three buttons -- reload (meaning wipe out all my edits and refresh the editable names with the current on-disk names), rename (meaning do the renames as I have specified), and cancel. I've used this a lot in normalizing file names in various collections of trivia.

The benefits to me are avoiding the constant pressing of F2, having a better font for typing new names, and being able to see an entire batch of new names before committing any.

But as I've got such a program, I don't need an X2 enhancement. Just offering it as a thought.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Have a look at Konverter
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Something I would like is a drop-down list of previous 'what to match' patterns in the mass renaming wizard.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Have you tried SWF2AVI?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

@otlaolap, that reminds me of this blog post

@FrizzleFry, will do, that's the kind of small addition I like to hear any day :)

@Robert2, thanks I think I've tried all these, konvertor crashes when installed and all the others just don't understand xplorer2 demo videos, they make them too small
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pschroeter »

if you have any pressing requests that can be done easily, let me know and I'll add them to the list
Maybe I'm late but:

Case changing in Mass rename

If I am in a folder with no folders selected, Browse flat should flatten the folder I'm currently in.

Alt-clicking a folder should open dual pane if it isn't already open

Dual bookmarks have an option to open the second pane if only one pane is open. I don't use tabs very much.

I still thank you profusely for adding my suggestion of Saved Filters to Autofilter. I use it constantly. I hope to attache them to buttons one day.
Simicro

Post by Simicro »

An option to disable the display of location info in the title bar, thanks.
Snap1.png
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

thanks for the tips guys, small improvements like these will come in sooner or later
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Is there any option to export the contents of a folder with the data showed by the properties columns selected in each case? For instance, I have a folder full of PDFs and the "pages" column wich shows, well, the number of pages per document. To have that on a CSV, TXT or whatever... would be useful for me now. This way I could known quickly the total number of pages of n documents.
Last edited by sanferno on 2016 Feb 18, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ctrl+A, ctrl+P, then paste in excel
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

nikos wrote:ctrl+A, ctrl+P, then paste in excel
Pow, right in the kisser!

Thank you Nikos, you are the man! :beer:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

sanferno wrote:Pow, right in the kisser! [...] you are the man
Right, new forum rule: from now on anyone whose first language is NOT English is NOT allowed to use idioms or pop-culture references from the 50's! It's creepy (yet somehow admirable) when you lads do that! :wink:

A pity that 'horripilante' and 'creepy' don't have quite the same connotation, but when the Moors conquer Europe again, you can correct Google by force. :D The moors weren't creepy, were they? Who (besides gypsies) do Spaniards threaten to sell their naughty children to? El hombre del saco? Well, el hombre del saco gets to eat those who use idioms too! He'll be well-fed this month.
Simicro

Post by Simicro »

nikos wrote:thanks for the tips guys, small improvements like these will come in sooner or later
top.gif
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Kilmatead wrote:Well, el hombre del saco gets to eat those who use idioms too! He'll be well-fed this month.
Oh boy, what I'm gonna get! :P

In Spain, "el nombre del saco" was mainly used years ago, now it could be considered as an "old-fashioned" tradition (you know, kids today only believe in football, video games, whatsup...). The tradition was that parents used to threat their kids when they were being brat. There was no need to sell your sons to him, he just grab them into a sack during night to an unknown place . As I have seen, Wikipedia, explains it more detailed way than me.

If fact, belgians use the same tradition but their boys end laying their bones in Spain... as if it was the f*cking hell!! :roll: Well, you know, southern Europeans are many times seen as folkloric and lazy people. That specially came from the last and the 19th century, because now, most of the "dope" northern Europeans lay their bones in our sunny coast. Don't you think this is better than the rusty and old tradition? 8)

:beer: