filter out specific file name with "(2)"

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

fenpeppertree

filter out specific file name with "(2)"

Post by fenpeppertree »

:?: I have several audio (mp3) files that have duplicates, simply because there are two albums with the same song, but I would like to filter out these files that have the number two "(2)" at the end of the name. I have flattened the folder in a scrap container, but when I try to "find" all files with [containing text "(2)"] it selects a few, but not all the files with this suffix.

How can I get the "find" or the "auto-filter" to select all file names ending with "(2)"? or is there another way?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: filter out specific file name with "(2)"

Post by nikos »

are you searching for contained text? you should be checking NAMES instead. Or even simpler, use the filterbox in the scrap container and type in (2), this will show only the files you need
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

Use ALT+H (View > Visual Filter > Rule Based) ?
use -(2) in the name box

Test and see how it goes maybe.
Live life...
fenpeppertree

Post by fenpeppertree »

To Profess: Yep! that was a winner. Thanks a lot, sure did help. I didn't realize my post had been replied to. I don't seem to have an email notification that it was replied to. Been kinda busy, but probably would have gone to the forum to check, eventually. I always think all forums send a notification when a post has been replied to, and supposedly this forum does, but I just don't seem to have it, I guess. Thanks again.

PS just checked on my profile settings and needed to enable the reply notification. Hopefully I won't miss my next reply to post.
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

fenpeppertree: glad it helped.

the forum does email me, sometimes buggy, but works most of the time.

regards.
Live life...
fenpeppertree

Post by fenpeppertree »

Soooo sorry, spoke to soon. Got to thinking about Nikos reply, and how the filter box in the scrap container didn't work at all. But guess what, when I put (2) in the regular search/filter/...etc. box and selected "filter" I got 34 files with (2) after the name on the file. I'm sorry Profess, but your method only turned up 16, that's over twice as many files I missed. And tried Nikos' scrap container filter box again, and guess what it worked, 34 files with (2) after the file name are found. Don't know how it messed up when I originally tried it. Anyway, the simplest way is just to put the (2) in the filter box of the folder, scrap container totally not necessary. Easy, right. Really don't know why I had to write up a query for such an easy task (why I didn't try the filter box in the folder), but then neither reply I received, made the solution as simple as it is, very strange.
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

yep, that's why i said to try and see what happens.
'method' is important, i've realised.
but guess what - i bet you learned something :)
Live life...