Icons become blank and program not responsive

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

ptorrf

Icons become blank and program not responsive

Post by ptorrf »

Hi!

Several months ago, I've been suffering for an abnormal behaviour in explorer2 64 bits.

Suddenly, file icons become blank (even those of folders in toolbar) and I'm not able to open any file nor delete, etc. Although I close the program, the process remains in execution and I have to open task manager and kill the process. Then, I can reopen and everything becomes normal. Sometimes, it has occurred a couple of times a day and it's a bit boring. This isuue often appears while working with pdf or text files, but not exclusively.

My system is Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bits. I would appreciate any kind of help.

Best regards!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Icons become blank and program not responsive

Post by nikos »

it is difficult to say why your xplorer2 is "ill". It could be the way you use the program or some intermittent error. If you post a pic of your xplorer2 window I may tell you. If it is related to PDF you can ask yourself whether you're using a bad viewer. Also you should be running the latest xplorer2 version that patches for all known issues and warts
ptorrf

Post by ptorrf »

Hi Nikos!

Just a few minutes ago (5-10 minutes), I had closed xplorer2, when suddenly a Windows warning pop-up window showed telling that explorer2 stopped working and it must be closed... ¿? This is the first time I see that message.

And about what you said:

* I normally use xplorer2 in dual pane mode (details view) with preview pane activated in draft mode (only text). I use almost the default setup (no folder sizes, no extra columns, etc).

* I use Foxit PDF, but no shell integration (no need for searches, previews, etc), not even web browser/office integration at all.

* I've got the latest version, of course! :-)

Next time it occurs i'll try to take a screenshot and I'll post it here as an attachment.

Thank you.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what do you see (in the previewer) when you select a PDF file, text or some gibberish?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

ptorrf wrote:a Windows warning pop-up window showed telling that explorer2 stopped working and it must be closed... This is the first time I see that message
If that happens again (or even just check it now), use Help -> Crash information and see if if directs you to a dump file. If it does, send the file to Nikos and he might be able to narrow down the issue. Something is corrupting your shell, obviously.

Also, if you are using x2 in "replacement mode", use 'Tools -> Advanced Options -> Global (tab) -> In replacememt mode, don't stay resident' which will prevent any background process remaining unintentionally, and thus allow you to "reset" just by normal window closure (or use <Alt+X>).
ptorrf

Post by ptorrf »

Hi!

To Nikos:

When I select a PDF file, in preview pane (draft mode) I can see plain text, no matter I switch "text only" on/off. In normal mode I can't see anything (I disabled any kind of shell/browser/office integration during installation).

To Kilmatead:

I'm not using xplorer2 in replacement mode.

Aout the crash dump, I've attached the .mdmp file located at "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp\moz_mapi" (extension mdmp is not allowed so I've put it into a zip file).

I hope this could help. Thank you very much.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

for this error you must tick the advanced option "dont use shell thread reference" from TOOLS > ADVANCED OPTIONS menu, then GLOBAL page. I don't know why this crashes some systems but should work
ptorrf

Post by ptorrf »

nikos wrote:for this error you must tick the advanced option "dont use shell thread reference" from TOOLS > ADVANCED OPTIONS menu, then GLOBAL page. I don't know why this crashes some systems but should work
OK. Ticked!

I hope that it will work. Thank you so much!
ptorrf

Post by ptorrf »

nikos wrote:for this error you must tick the advanced option "dont use shell thread reference" from TOOLS > ADVANCED OPTIONS menu, then GLOBAL page. I don't know why this crashes some systems but should work
Hi Nikos!

I'm affraid it happen again. After 2-3 days without problems, three days ago it started again. Some symptoms as described before... :(

I think it could be a problem not directly related with xplorer2, so I wouldn't like to bother you with this issue. But if you have got any idea, it would be greatly appreciated... :wink:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

is that advanced option still ticked?
ptorrf

Post by ptorrf »

nikos wrote:is that advanced option still ticked?
Hi, Nikos.

Sorry for the delay... I've been on holiday several days... :D

About the question: yes, it is still ticked. In fact, this morning it has occurred again, a couple of times. As usual, it has occurred while I was working on PDF and/or text files... very annoying!

I'm runnig Windows 8.1 Pro x64. In another computer with Win 7 Pro x64 it never occurred this issue. I don't know if this could help...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

try sending me another CRASH INFORMATION file and i'll have another look
ptorrf

Post by ptorrf »

nikos wrote:try sending me another CRASH INFORMATION file and i'll have another look
Very curious...

A few minutes ago, I looked at "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp\moz_mapi" folder and there was a file, but dated 13-05-2016. Then, program "crashed", then I killed the process and restarted, as usual. And then, that file was gone! There's no file at all!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

xplorer2 wouldn't put its crash info in moz_mapi folder, it is something else. You can access it easily from HELP menu
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Curiously, a quick Google search suggests 'moz_mapi' being involved with Firefox/Thunderbird extensions relating to PDF's (and, in particular, trying to email them). The OP said he didn't have any PDF shell extensions installed (and even named web-browsers specifically), but if it walks like a duck it might be worth cooking like one to see what it tastes like... :wink: