Icons become blank and program not responsive

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

ptorrf

Re: Icons become blank and program not responsive

Post by ptorrf »

Hi!

I've got news! I think I've discovered the "root" of the problem.

I've been browsing my hard disk, through many, many folders and files (pdf and text included) without problem. BUT, when I land in A PARTICULAR folder (in which I often work in), xplorer2 stops working. Always the same folder, again and again... Very odd! Don't you think? It could be possible that a particular folder was the cause of the problems? I've been trying renaming, copying, moving (even in a different drive, and into an external USB drive) that folder, and always is the same result... Very, very odd!

At the moment this is the only data that I can give you... Do you know if something similar has happened before to somebody?

Oh! About the minidump file: it seems that the file is generated every time I click on the Help > Error information option, because every time I kill and restart xplorer2 process, the file was gone. And the location is exactly as I wrote before. I copied it from the attachment that is included in the automatically generated email message (I use Thunderbird as email client).

What do you think? And what (the hell) I could do with that folder? :-)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

try browsing this folder with all advanced settings OFF:
* no detailed view mode, only basic names list
* turn off all the peripheral panes (preview, detailed pane etc)
* turn off anything else complex like grouping or color coding

and see if it helps. Turning these on/off will help you figure out what is wrong
ptorrf

Post by ptorrf »

nikos wrote:try browsing this folder with all advanced settings OFF:
* no detailed view mode, only basic names list
* turn off all the peripheral panes (preview, detailed pane etc)
* turn off anything else complex like grouping or color coding

and see if it helps. Turning these on/off will help you figure out what is wrong
Start test...

View mode: list
Peripheral panes deactivated (preview pane only, as I don't use details pane)
Color coding off
Single pane view (Ctrl-O)

NO PROBLEM!!!! Close app and process dissapears.

1. Dual pane on... OK!

2. Details view on. Oh-oh! When I browse into that folder and put the focus on a text file, preview pane remains locked with the text contents, and when I go out and in again into that folder, icons are "blanked" and program becomes "freezed" again. I close the program but the process remains active.

Another tests:

1. Dual pane on, List view, preview pane on... FAIL!

2. Dual pane on, List view, preview pane off... OK!

3. Dual pane on, List view, preview pane on... FAIL!

4. Dual pane on, List view, preview pane off... OK! Then, I switch to details view... OK!

5. Dual pane on, Details view, preview pane off... OK! Then, I switch on color coding... OK!

6. Dual pane on, Details view, preview pane on... As soon as I browse into that folder, program "freezes" again...

It seems that the problem only appears when the preview pane is active...

Anyway, I don't want to bother you with this little annoyance, so I'll try to backup that folder into an external drive and then I'll delete the folder. I think it is the only folder that "causes" the problem, so I think its deletion can "solve" the problem.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

are you using the previewer in DRAFT or NATIVE mode (tab)?
ptorrf

Post by ptorrf »

nikos wrote:are you using the previewer in DRAFT or NATIVE mode (tab)?
I usually use it in Draft mode, with word-wrap (F2) enabled.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

and you said that the crash is when a plain text TXT file is selected in that folder!?
ptorrf

Post by ptorrf »

No, it's when I select a pdf file.

More information:

Yesterday I moved the files in that folder into another location in an external USB drive. Then, I deleted the folder and I created it again, with only a text file and a pdf file, both new files. You won't believe it, but it happened again!

This very morning, I moved the text file into another folder, with no problems. But when I browse into that folder and select the only file that remains here (a pdf file), program freezes again. Then, I moved the pdf file into another folder, and as before, when I select that pdf file, freeze! Then, I moved back the text file into the "problematic" folder, with no problem at all. Then, I moved back the pdf file, but as soon as I select the file, freeze! Can you believe it?

So, I think something's happening with the pdf preview, but ONLY into this folder, for it seems that this problem only concerns this particular folder.

Well, taking account of this behaviour, next time I browse this folder, I'll take care and I'll disable the preview pane before selecting everything else... So, please forget about it; I don't want to bother you with this issue. I don't know why but I think it is not caused by the program itself...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so you've narrowed it down. It looks like your PDF extraction filter doesn't work with xplorer2 (if at all). Which PDF tool are you using? Try installing Sumatra PDF, you only need the filter installed, not the previewer -- and you don't even have to change your main PDF tool if you follow these instructions
ptorrf

Post by ptorrf »

nikos wrote:so you've narrowed it down. It looks like your PDF extraction filter doesn't work with xplorer2 (if at all). Which PDF tool are you using? Try installing Sumatra PDF, you only need the filter installed, not the previewer -- and you don't even have to change your main PDF tool if you follow these instructions
It works!!! I installed SumatraPDF 3.1.1 64-bit as you said, and now, I can browse that particular folder with preview pane activated, and no problem at all. I browse some other folders, the I return and nothing happens. Preview pane shows it all perfectly in draft/normal mode.

I hope this could be the end of this post. I'm very sorry for having bothered you (and Kilmatead, of course :-) with this issue.

Thank you so much!!! :beer: