PC speech

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

PC speech

Post by nikos »

can somebody with a non-English (e.g. French or German) windows check this registry key and tell me if their computer talks anything else than English? e.g. for accessibility (narrator tool)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: PC speech

Post by sanferno »

I hope Spanish version will do for you also. :)
Voices.jpg
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

I don't think narrator polyglottism is guaranteed directly out of the box - it appears the user might need to install language packs manually in order to get the full-fat taste & experience. :shrug:
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Yeah, that mentions the language packs too, though it is US-specific - I imagine as international OEM installations of Windows already tend to be customised by default (if not necessarily properly localised), they leave them lean-and-mean as well. Remember kids, your friendly neighbourhood OEM does not care about you even after you give them all your money. :wink:

For example, someone like Asus probably pre-images a quarter of a million machines in various localised configurations, and every few hundred megabytes saved per batch which need not be copied over results in some boffin claiming they increased productivity for their sector that month.

(Having previously bought some myself [they are much cheaper] clean driverless OEM Windows license editions are not the same as store-bought or direct-download versions of Windows and are often released to manufacturers/resellers long before the last-minute localised extras are even completed.)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

thanks sanferno. When deskrule "talks" to you does it sound English or broken Spanish?

as for win10 language packs, I have the greek installed but that's just the keyboard. There is no option for speech
but i'm sore other more civilized languages can be chosen the way Robert linked
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

It speaks in English, but as you would read it literally with Spanish pronunciation, you know what I mean? It is a corny combination. :alien:

Here you have an example (listen the Spanish side): https://translate.google.com/#es/en/Com ... 0says%20no
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

sanferno wrote:It speaks in English, but as you would read it literally with Spanish pronunciation
You mean it speaks English with a Spanish accent? That's crazy! (Hopefully in a less creepy accent than Google's, at least.)

Edit: Holy shite, I just realised you can do that with almost any language in Google Translate - from creepy Dutch to creepy French to downright insulting Vietnamese.

I genuinely fear for humanity now. :cry:
Last edited by Kilmatead on 2016 Jul 26, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

no complaints :)
Live life...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Maybe I'm just getting too old for this. There are just some things computers should never do, and one of them is to speak like Ricardo Montalbán on drugs! :shock:
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

yea i was being a little corny, though i wouldn't mind having a drink with her.
Live life...
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Kilmatead wrote:You mean it speaks English with a Spanish accent?
Well, this is becoming a really creepy conversation but, let's face it, at least we are having a good time :P

Example: "Computer says no" is for the lovely Spanish girl inside Windows 10: "Computer sais no" instead of "Compiuter seis nou".

Haha! This topic is crazy :party:
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

Sanferno, you described and demonstrated the problem perfectly. It's strange you're right.
Live life...