Re: blog: all that jazz

Post by nikos »

Spotify doesn't work in this part of the world :(
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Spotify sucks. They don't even have lossless encoding. (Also, owning a LP is much more useful than renting a stream.)

Hmm, so what shall we discuss here? Everyone post his playlist? :biggrin:
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

I went through vast quantities of music to arrive at my current collection, but ditched posting it here as I couldn't figure out how to upload a txt file.

Taste in music is Subjective and not objective.

I've a playlist for when I'm high on CH3CH2OH, 50 tunes in that.
I've a playlist for woman, fun music, as fun=panties down, cerebral= panties up.
I've a Rock favourite, Classical favourite, Electronic favourite, Ambient favourite, R&B, Jazz, Instrumental, Opera, etc, But the reason I collected music was to find the best in all types of music, What constitutes "The Best" music ?, To me that means music in which every instrument complements the overall theme of the song, e.g. if the theme of a song is about a hobo who travels on a train then the rhythm or a instrument has to compliment the theme, sometimes the instrumental conveyance of the theme is subtle, complex. All aspects combine to produce a experience which appeals to the listener, irrespective of music type, yet...., some folks like Abstract Jazz which is to me one of the few types of music that makes no sense to at all, it's akin to primitive tribal noise, worse, more like a group of delinquent teenagers high on something banging pots and pans together.

If anyone's interested in my Artist collection I'll post it, just please tell me how I upload a text file to this site.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

when you compile a post or reply, below the submit button there's a tab that says "upload attachment". You can search for attachment with ctrl+F if you have trouble finding it.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

dunno wrote:...some folks like Abstract Jazz which is to me one of the few types of music that makes no sense to at all...
So you're not a big fan of Nik Bärtsch then, no? I went out of my way to collect all 10 of his Ritual Groove sequence of albums (21 hours of stuff in total)... though I could never find number 4... guess you might not have it... :wink:

You might try his Continuum... it's actually quite melodic once it gets going... abstract, but senseful...
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

I'll give Continuum a try, thanks. Can't find number 4 huh ?, I'll look around.

Nikos, I know how to find the upload thingy, done so many times, but this site specifically says, "you cannot load a .txt file", so I gave up.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

You could zip it or just use one of those free pastebins around the interwebz. :)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:You could zip it...
You've obviously never lived in a hammock like our island fiend here - zipping is an art unto itself when you're suspended swinging off the ground. So to speak. :D

That attachment thing sure is picky... before it didn't like icons, now text... so claustrophobic for a thread about jazz...
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:zipping is an art unto itself when you're suspended swinging off the ground.
My younger self tries hard not to show too much amusement about the double meaning here. The general state of the world is causing weird effects in me.

The attachment thing can - almost always - be tricked, especially when everything it cares for is the visible file format. File types are not what they seem to be. But that's one of the things I miss from the good old internet days when "forums" were mostly happening on the Usenet. No one cared about the difference of a .doc and an .rtf attachment because both were equally frowned upon.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:My younger self tries hard not to show too much amusement about the double meaning here.
Given that it's common knowledge that humans involuntarily evacuate their bowels when they are hanged, I was thinking more about the practical aspects and implications for coroner-cleanliness than anything amusing. What, pray tell, were you thinking of? :roll:

And yes, all filetypes are suspect... but I would think a PNG could be just as easily spoofed as a TXT... yet Mr. Attachment-thingy doesn't complain about those. It's a conspiracy, I tells ya.
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

Tuxman wrote:You could zip it or just use one of those free pastebins around the interwebz. :)
Ok, I could do that, my rebuttal;
I have a packet that I want to give to you, fragile and confidential is written all over it, but instead of giving it to you directly I go to your neighbour, John, and say, Tux's not at home, would you mind giving this to him, it's "personal", then John, like a true good neighbour hands you the parcel, in it is a pile of your dogs crap, and his.

It kinda also takes the fun and spontaneity out of anything if one has to pause to fumble with a zip to unzip a thing, it breaks the mood.
Last edited by dunno on 2016 Sep 06, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Because, you know, what could be more confidential than posting something into a public web forum? As no one uses web forums anymore, your precious personal information is perfectly safe here.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

Continuum isn't abstract Jazz in a pure sense, to me it's a fusion of Jazz, classical and funk, it's beautiful, really appeals to me.