you know we created everything you talked about right? :) zenci
who was the first to play C#?
Live life...
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: blog: all that jazz

Post by Tuxman »

dunno wrote:In one of VU's songs, a band member says, quote. "electricity comes from a another planet" as Nico exits the studio
If you don't understand cultural references, you should stop judging them. The song is not about Nico.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

Tuxman wrote:
dunno wrote:In one of VU's songs, a band member says, quote. "electricity comes from a another planet" as Nico exits the studio
If you don't understand cultural references, you should stop judging them. The song is not about Nico.
How on earth is my reference to a actual quote a reference about a cultural reference, really dude, To me facts should prevail, or not ?.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

The quote is not related to Nico.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

BS. do you really want me to post the song for others to judge ?.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Yes, please.

"Femme Fatale" was the only Velvets song (ironically sung by Nico) which was about Nico. Nico had (been) left the band in mid-1967, the song which contains the electricity quote (Temptation Inside Your Heart, actually a parody of the Motown music label) was recorded in or after 1968.

Please, others, judge the song!
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Not being a VU connoisseur, and not really having any idea what you're arguing about, but for everyone else I would only offer that the quote is a reference to Nikola Tesla's early theorising (and considered "crackpot") idea that electricity was actually how the planets communicated with each other, or, more specifically, with him personally. Such comments would have made populist headlines in the day (historically, we're talking turn of the 20th century).

Interpolate as you will.

John Cale may be a bit of a nutter, but no one ever said he wasn't a well-educated and well-read nutter. That so many people only know it today as the result of a song is... well... a comment unto itself...
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

A little Mariachi to lighten the mood, crank it up hombre :beer:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

dunno wrote:A little Mariachi...
Or just let Green Car Motel and Calexico fight out the darker side... :D
drac
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by drac »

Kilmatead,

I tried to post a reply on Wednesday, but when I clicked Submit, the window disappeared and nothing got posted. This has happened before on this forum so I usually copy my post before submitting, but I was in a hurry and forgot to do so. I only mention this because that lost post was so much better than the one below. I was able to say what I wanted in a way that pleased me. In the post below I think I have all the relevant points but the elegance is missing.
-------------------------------------

I am not my usual curmudgeonly self, I guess. There has to be the correct combination of technical content along with some of your special brand of obscure references to something interesting, before I will comment.

I am not a big music lover. I do enjoy classical music, country music, American folk music and pop music from the 40’s through the early 70’s (1940’s not 1840’s). However, unlike the younger generation and others, I do not usually listen to music during most of my waking hours. I do listen when driving, or exercising (neither of which I do a lot of) and sometimes while I am working.

I definitely like the rhythm of the song. That is what drew me in and kept me captivated. I especially like the African influence.

It is important for a people to have some artistic contribution, to the world, in which they can take pride. For we Americans it is apparently Jazz and duck decoys. So please allow us these.

You are correct that I use another file manager most of the time, but I still use X2 occasionally. I often say that X2 is a fantastic program with an amazing depth of features (I say that when appropriate, not as a spontaneous utterance). Nikos can be proud of his achievement. However, the features that I find important are low on Nikos’ priority list, and those features he finds important are not of particular use to me (I hardly ever need to search for a file).

While it was X2 that brought me to this forum, it is the interesting banter and unique personality of the forum that keeps me coming back. Kudos to all.
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

I was struggling to wake up this morning, Diamanda Galas fixed that
Ani diFranco
Daniel Lanois
Dave Meniketti
Dick Dale a very confused surfer
Einstürzende Neubauten just in case you thought I was going soft
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Well, I was doubting in posting in this topic, but after reading that Rod Temperton has passed away recently, I think is the time to remember some of the hits he wrote.

We can see this Englishman in the background playing the piano during one the performances of his band.
Heatwave "The Groove Line"

Here are some other cuts:
Michael Jackson - Rock With You
George Benson - Give Me The Night
Tata Vega - Miss Celie's Blues (from The Color Purple movie)

Obviously I can't forget Thriller, song and record that took Michael Jackson out of this world (in many ways) and made Quincy Jones, MJ and Rod outrageous richer.

We all know the song and video, I think is more interesting to hear something different about the recording of the track and Vicent Price's rap: Interview with Rod Temperton

Rest in peace, Rod, you will keep making me happy everyday when I hear your music.
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

yes yes it's not tropical rum music, but perhaps good for winter nights in the far north, perhaps good Henge music, for the solstices ?.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA38ffX1AHo