v1.4 released

Post by nikos »

including geotags! click www.zabkat.com/deskrule
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: v1.4 released

Post by sanferno »

I have installed and, at least from what I've tested, geographical search works smoothly, same for map panning.

I feel a bit bad for being the only one that is always pointing things, but I do it with good attitude. :wink: What about the option of locking toolbars? Does it interact badly with the fact of adding new search criterias, which in most cases adds a new toolbar?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

do you find that you accidentally move toolbars?
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

I have this configuration as "my default" DR layout.
dr-toolbars.jpg
But if, for instance I search for coordinates or just add a new search property, it adds new toolbars to the right of "kind" and it breaks "my order". With coordinates, latituted appears on the right of "kind", and "longitude" on a new row. If all the new toolbars were just added in a "new row" below "contents" (in this case), it would all be just fine.

Apart for that, some days ago I searched for files with "jpg" in their name. Well, although I've deleted this tag many times, when I add coordinates to the search, the "jpg" comes again in place. I have to delete the tag from the toolbar, and also its equivalent property on the advanced search mode. It's not a big deal, but it's a bit annoying. :?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I see what you mean. I can recommend saving a toolbar layout including lat/long fields using the DEFAULT RULES button (add current). deskrule isn't fussy about toolbar placement, it even has a menu command to auto-arrange toolbars if you right click on them. Or you can save a toolbar set as you want it WITHOUT lat/long, which you can get back to easily

do you find you need both kind AND type columns? You can extend the TYPE for other kinds of files in the registry.

finally the JPG is added automatically whenever you use the map helper button. I don't think there are geotags in other kinds of files (?)
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

I've added "file extension" between "contents" and "kind" and now, when "long/lat" are auto-added, the are placed in "a new line" below. That fix the issue. Anyway, funny enough, Lat/Long aren't among the properties that I use the most, so I think isn't much effort to fix the layout mess from time to time.

Maybe I'm not doing it "the best way", but as you can see, I have far more options in "kind" than in "type". A part form that, they have different ones. I see both as a quick pick option. Depending on my needs I use one or another.
type-kind.jpg
I don't own a digital camera with GPS, but I was sure that my camcorder was able to write coordinates in metadata because I saw the location of the takes on a map ("*.m2t" and "*.m2ts" videos). That was some years ago and I've never used again the software provided, so they maybe use some "attached kind of trick".

But JPG doesn't seem to be the only files to keep GPS info. Take a look to this Canon raw file, and I guess the same applies to Nikon equivalent. :wink:
canon-raw.jpg
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ok, perhaps JPG is a bit restrictive, I'll think something about it. In the meantime you can just clear it manually or add anything else you need e.g. JPG CR2 M2T

the system kind property looks more complete but frankly it is half baked. For example, PNG is not available as "picture" and who knows what else. That's why I added the stock TYPE property which you can control from the registry, both in number of kinds and the extensions within each category
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Of course, JPG was not a big issue, I can deal with that, don't worry.

I have customized sometimes files types in x2, but not in DR. I haven't seen anything related in settings, could you give me a clue on that? Thank you.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

see this registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\Desk_Rule\File types
to change it make sure deskrule isn't running (quit it fully with ALT+X)
for more information on registry tweaking press F1 to see the manual
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Sorry for coming to this "old" topic, but I was checking my videocamera and, as I told you four post before, it used a separate file to store the geographic information of each shot.

I think this won't be much helpful for DR, since I guess is SONY specific, but if you want to have a look anyway, here you have an example. :wink:
00082.zip
I could barely read somethings, because most of the file has non-readable characters, although, at the end you can view the Datum (WGS 84) and the date.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there are some tools called GPS tracklog tools. I believe these can embed geotags in photos/videos (?) from such track files. You can try and tell me :)
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Well, I've found this definition for the "CPI" file:

"Clip information file created by various high definition (HD) digital video camcorders; contains metadata describing an AVCHD video stream, such as the frame rate, frames per second, and aspect ratio; used to describe an .MTS video stream."
So it means that the .cpi file only contains metadata required for streaming AVCHD video files. The .mts video file contains the real video clip.
Source: How do I view or open a ".cpi" file/video?

Every HD video that wants to match the blu-ray standard, needs three files stored in different folder. As it can be seen in the attached image taken from Google, "00000.MTS" is the real video, but also "00000.CPI" metadata file should be inside "CLIPINF" folder, and lastly "000000.MPLS" in "PLAYLIST". Those file extensions can have variations: mts -> mt2s, cpi -> clip...
del360.png
I've not found the way to read it, nor its codification or format to open it with a text editor, so I don't know how to get the coordinates. :?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

how do you know the geotags are in that file?
are you sure your camera is enabled to write GPS info?
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Well, the camera has built-in GPS. Then, with the software embeded in the camera, there's the posibilty to view in a map were where taken the shoots (video and also pictures). There's also a program for the PC that let you do the same on Windows.

Then, after looking for coordinates in properties of the video file (as you would do with geotagged pictures), there's no info. So I'm quite sure that those coordinates are in that file. The main fact to arrive to this conclusion is that I could read inside it the date of shooting and, even more important, the system of reference used by GPS (WGS-84).

PS: I'm going to test if using that Sony software for Windows allows me to convert (somehow) those damned CPIs, I'll let you know the results. :wink:
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Finally it all took sense. I used Sony's "PlayMemories Home" to import some geotagged videos in my camcorder, and I'm able to read all the data (see the attachement). Although it has "modd" extension, is a simple XML file (and if my guessing aren't wrong, it's translated from that CPI). In its original form all the contents are in a single line, but to make its structure more readable, I've edited it with Notepad++.

The "20161002171433.m2ts" makes referencte to the name of the video file.
20161002171433.m2ts.modd.zip
Now you're the one who decides if this deserves some kind of implementation for map search in DR, or not. :)