Title bar infos

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Simicro

Title bar infos

Post by Simicro »

Hi,

I'm curious: why the location is displayed in the title bar since the same info is also available in the URL bar and in the header of the panes?

I did not see an option to disable the location info in the title bar to "unclutter" it?
Snap1.png
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Title bar infos

Post by Kilmatead »

For a variety of reasons, many users prefer to use multiple instances of the programme (instead of, and/or in combination with multiple tabs), and this information in the Titlebar readily differentiates one process instance from another when viewed as taskbar buttons, but also from within a task-manager (or, indeed, any other outside processes).

The only titular option is to have the xplorer2 label itself displayed at the beginning or (for greater taskbar clarity) at the end of the given string.

Many internet browsers employ the same sort of paradigm, representing the current tab/page within the window title itself.

It's also in keeping with the old adage that one man's clutter is another man's treasure. :wink:
Simicro

Post by Simicro »

Hi Kilmatead,

Many thanks for your comprehensive explanation ; I did not think of multiple instances as one is by far sufficient for my needs.

And your humor is most appreciated :wink:
Kilmatead wrote:It's also in keeping with the old adage that one man's clutter is another man's treasure.
Simicro

Post by Simicro »

Hello nikos,

Regarding "an option to disable the display of location info in the title bar", you said in this thread http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?p=69618#p69618 that "small improvements like these will come in sooner or later".

Can you please make an update? Is it on the agenda, for example for 2017?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

good news, this one is available already, see DPF_NOTITLE in the changelog (or check TOOLS> ADVANCED OPTIONS menu)
Simicro

Post by Simicro »

Oh ! :shock: :D

Many thanks nikos!!!
Smiley_Boudha.gif
Simicro

Post by Simicro »

I tried the x2SettingsEditor, but could not find the option :cry:

So I tried Regedit:
2016-11-14_14-39-49.png
The registry.txt says:
[MainFrame Settings] ////////////
binDualPaneFlags [default = 9]

DPF_NOTITLE 1048576 /* have no paths in the window titlebar, just xplorer2 */
I don't understand where I have to enter the 1048576 value.

Moreover I can see binDualPaneFlags defaut value for me is 4119 and not 9

But maybe I missed something
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

You add the value 1048576 to your existing value of 4119, resulting in 1052695. Restart x2, and voila. (Ignore the '9' number - that's just a default. 1048576 is really just 0x100000 in Hex, and the settings [bin == binary] are bitwise OR'd together, so your 4119 value is simply the combination of flags you already have set, and adding 0x100000 to them sets the flag that says "No Title Clutter, Please Sir", while retaining your other current settings.)

Short version: just set the value of binDualPaneFlags to 1052695. :D (Edit: This is actually wrong - please see the correction and explanation below.)
Last edited by Kilmatead on 2016 Nov 14, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
Simicro

Post by Simicro »

Hello Kilmatead,

Thanks for your kind assistance as well as for the long and short versions :wink:

It worked :D
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you could have used the advanced settings editor for that
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:you could have used the advanced settings editor for that
Well, 1) you're the bunny rabbit who told the poor lad to play with the registry in the first place, and 2) I couldn't find the titlebar option in the advanced settings either, so nibble on that, Harvey. :shrug:

Besides, I always prefer answers where people have an opportunity to learn something... no one ever learned anything from clicking a checkbox except those two dudes in the bunker at the beginning of Wargames, and that didn't end well for either of them. :wink:

It seems to me there are more than a couple of options missing from the editor... CLVOPT_NOEASYBGMENU, bEllipsis, amongst others... but that's just me... what's a poor power-user to do...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Simicro wrote:It worked
Well, kind of - I overlooked an important detail.

The perspicacious amongst us (obviously Nikos doesn't qualify) might have noticed that I made a computational error above... I didn't notice that Simicro's original 4119 value was expressed (via RegEdit) in base 16 (hex) not base 10 (decimal), so the addition was wrong: 0x4119 is actually 16665, so the final number should really be 1065241, not (as I said above) 1052695.

Short version: set binDualPaneFlags to 1065241. :D

Technically speaking, this means that you originally had DPF_SHOWHEADERS and DPF_CASCADECRUMBS options set (plus some undocumented flags 0x1 [1], 0x10 [16], and 0x100 [256])... so while using 1052695 you got the result you wanted (0x100000 set), you would have also lost the bits for DPF_SHOWHEADERS (0x8) and DPF_CASCADECRUMBS (0x4000) while also inadvertently setting more undocumented flags in 0x2, 0x4, 0x10 and 0x1000, leaving the previous 0x1, 0x100 flags unset. Sorry about that. :oops: Welcome to the wonderful world of bitwise enumeration!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

apparently it's not there, the cat must have dragged it out of the dialog, bleeding pests :P
Simicro

Post by Simicro »

Kilmatead, actually by entering your initial recommended value, I could get rid of the "Title Clutter", but lost some other display preferences. But I could set them back quickly :)

Thanks again for your kind assistance.