dead desktop

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

gkarasik

dead desktop

Post by gkarasik »

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this problem:

Just since the update to v34 (and 3401): On several W7/Ent/SP1 PCs and running xplorer2 Ult, occasionally--not always--the desktop is dead. Double-clicking desktop icons doesn't start the object. To start them, I have to open Task Manager, kill the xplorer2.exe process. After that everything works as normal.

I would appreciate hearing if anyone else is seeing this.

GaryK
GaryK
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: dead desktop

Post by nikos »

you mean the desktop outside xplorer2 or inside?
To minimize such interactions, first uninstall then reinstall xplorer2 without ticking the 'Replace windows explorer' option during installation. Then you can start xplorer2 using its desktop icon
gkarasik

Post by gkarasik »

I mean that when I left-double-click any object on the desktop, nothing happens. If I right-click on it, then left-click the bold-faced "Open with xplorer2," the object opens. If I open Task Manager and kill the xplorer2.exe process, things return to normal, i.e. desktop objects open with a left-double-click.

Update: This is happening on more than one system. Systems are all W7/Ent/SP1/fully patched.

Update 2: I have reverted to v3301 which does not exhibit the dead-icon behavior. Just FYI, the symptoms are that the desktop icon behaves as though no program were associated with it.
GaryK
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I am not aware of any problems with the explorer replacement mode. If you can spare the time please try reinstalling the latest version 3.4, perhaps it will work correctly this time?
gkarasik

Post by gkarasik »

Tried that. Doesn't help. I've tried this on several systems now (all W7) and still had the same problem. I should add for clarification that other desktop icons (Excel, Chrome, etc.) work okay; the problem occurs with Explorer (or Xplorer2) folders only.

Right now I've reverted to v3.3.01 and all is well. I've looked but apparently I didn't archive v3.3.0.2. Can I get that anywhere?
GaryK
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that's a mystery. If you want the older version 3302 please send me an email and I will send it to you
gkarasik

Post by gkarasik »

nikos wrote: 2017 Mar 31, 07:13 that's a mystery. If you want the older version 3302 please send me an email and I will send it to you
Hi Nikos,

Other than the one you've already told me about, has anyone else reported a problem with this?

GaryK
GaryK
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

no, nobody else. Does the problem exist with version 3.3 too?
gkarasik

Post by gkarasik »

nikos wrote: 2017 May 02, 05:27 no, nobody else. Does the problem exist with version 3.3 too?
No, there's no problem with 3.3. The problem showed up with 3.4. I tried 3.4 on several different, though similarly configured, Win7 (32bit, SP1, Enterprise) machines, and had the same problem on all of them.

GaryK
GaryK
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

:shrug:
today I will begin sending announcement emails to all customers for v3.4 so we'll see if this mystery bites more people!
gkarasik

Post by gkarasik »

Well--I'm conflicted. I hope that no one else has the problem and that lots of people do. :D

GaryK
GaryK