build 3402 released

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

build 3402 released

Post by nikos »

a few bugfixes and small features like (partial) support for descript.ion files and better active accessibility
use HELP > CHECK FOR UPDATES menu command to get yours
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: build 3402 released

Post by FrizzleFry »

How do you see comments in descript.ion files... adding the Description [S] column did not seem to show them...

Nevermind... Comments [S] displays them...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

do you use descript.ion files a lot? Do they ever store 8.3 filenames? (when they contain spaces)
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

One of the programs I use regularly creates them but I really only maintain the descriptions for a couple of folders. I have never seen an 8.3 filename used instead of the real one. The program just quotes all filenames whether they have spaces or not.
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Any ideas?

Post by pschroeter »

I've gotten the following warning every time I try to download the upgrade. It appears to be caused by my wireless router hooked into my cable modem even though I'm not using the wireless connection. I'm sorry to bother you I'm just acting from an overabundance of caution.

Warning! The website contains malware. Visiting this site may harm your computer
RT-AC3200
Detailed informations:
Description:
Sites used by malicious programs, including sites used to host upgrades or store stolen information.
Host: 78:E3:B5:BC:62:FB
URL: zabkat.com

If you are a manager and consider to disable this protection, please go to Home Protection page for configuration.
For more completed security protection for your endpoint sides, Trend Micro offers you a more advanced home security solution. Please click the download link for the free trial or visit the site online scan service.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

zabkat.com doesn't contain any malware, but which program is it that you are using that claims otherwise?
I don't see any reports of badware here
https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/a8dd0 ... /analysis/
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

This appears to be part of the eternal headaches for small dev's. Especially these days where many over-anxious companies (in this case the ever-unreliable Trend Micro, but applies to Malwarebytes, et al), who base their "web protection" modules rather indiscriminately, thinking that if it's not whitelisted, it must be blacklisted by default - it's rarely ever based on any single bit of evidence. Silly. :shrug:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

nirsoft gives away his stuff for free; in my case, any false positives result in lost sales. The most annoying thing is that the same engines used by virustotal don't pick up the same "threats" that alert users like pschroeter, so unless somebody notifies me directly, it can go undetected for ages.

the other day I had some false positive for xplorer2 picked up by virustotal (trend micro and some of its affiliates). I followed the recommended procedure for false positives, but the guys didn't even pick it up as a virus after they checked my binary. I had to release a new version partially to get rid of the false alarm. B@stards :mad:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:Nirsoft gives away his stuff for free; in my case, any false positives result in lost sales.
Look on the bright-side, because of that, you get to have a more personal understanding of Kafka than Nirsoft might: it's the casual indifference of these AV companies (towards you) which results in the greatest unfairness of their power (over you). And you don't even drink their cool-aid. "Signature based" systems are being replaced with heuristics now, so "reporting things" actually becomes less effective over time. Did I mention Kafka? Indeed: what use, paperwork. :wink:
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pschroeter »

nikos wrote: 2017 Jun 25, 07:00 zabkat.com doesn't contain any malware, but which program is it that you are using that claims otherwise?
I don't see any reports of badware here
https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/a8dd0 ... /analysis/
Sorry for the delay. As far as I can tell it's the Asus WiFi router I have installed between the cable and computer. I don't even have Trend Micro installed. The website it's blocking is the Main download server that I get a link to after using Check for updates. I just tried the second Mirror link and had no problems. Weird.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

but do you know what software is it running? please ask the manufacturer