Wildcard for single digit in Mass Rename

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Wildcard for single digit in Mass Rename

Post by pschroeter »

I don't know what I'm missing but I thought the wildcard for a single digit is "?". I'm using Match and replace part to find "8(a space)(single digit)" and replace it with just "8" to get rid of the space followed by a single digit. I've tried "8 ?" in What to match: and it does nothing.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wildcard for single digit in Mass Rename

Post by nikos »

at present the mass rename dialog doesn't support wildcards or regular expressions
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pschroeter »

Thank you. After a careful reading of the documentation, I figured out that since the names were all the same except for one digit in the same spot, that I could do what I wanted with Match and replace and a range token, leaving the replace field blank. It just would have been a lot easier with a few simple wildcards.

BTW: I could have changed the names of the three files in about 30 seconds, but as an intellectual exercise I figured there had a way to automate it, so it only took me about an hour to figure out. Now that's progress. It's like how I'll spend hours figuring out a Word macro that will save me minutes of work over its lifetime.

I also just figured out you can use the range token to insert text at position in the name by setting the second number to zero.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

:D