www.zabkat.com/blog/programmable-v40.htm
for information on getting your new unlock key see here
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: xplorer2 v4.0 released

Post by Tuxman »

The upgrade process is as painless as can be
"Painless" is not the correct term - it involves e-mail (and, in my case, an address which I don't just have ready on all of my machines). Why can't xplorer² do it all automatically just yet? :|
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I wouldn't call email "complicated"! Once you get your key just copy/paste it to all your computers
sorry my backend/php expertise doesn't allow for anything fancier

in fact you should be glad that I'm rubbish in php otherwise there would be a much tighter policing of number of xplorer2 installations :twisted:
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

nikos wrote: 2018 Feb 15, 14:12 sorry my backend/php expertise doesn't allow for anything fancier
If you need help, I know a decent PHP guy who's only lightly rusted ... 8)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I installed 4.0 and updated the key with no real problems.
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

All seemed very straightforward to me. Clicked on the appropriate links, updated my e-mail address (it had changed since the original registration) and the key popped into my mail-box!

Thank you Nikos for your continued efforts, hopefully Achilleas will be starting to write code soon!
astewart

Post by astewart »

No problem with installation or new key (lifetime user). I had a problem with macros, though.

If I create a new macro and "Save"/name it, but don't "Run" it, it's not actually saved. If I "Run" it and then "Save" it, it's not saved. If I "Save" it and then "Run" it, it IS saved.

Also, if I create a new macro "Test" (Macro 1), customize it on to a toolbar, then delete Sample (Macro 0), the toolbar button becomes "Macro 1", which no longer exists, and it's neccessary to re-customize the toolbar. Does that happen for User Commands/Folder Groups/Custom Groups/etc? I haven't tried, because I don't feel like re-doing my toolbars.

Alan
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Yeah, toolbar button carousel is a longtime annoyance for all the custom items. It's important to maintain the order of custom items if you are using them as toolbar buttons so it is better not to delete them but just leave them and reassign them at a later time.

I complained about having to run macros to really save them during beta testing... nikos just said you can click debug and then stop it instead of running but I don't like that either... maybe many others will complain and nikos will fix it :)

One issue I had during the install was with macros I had setup as toolbar buttons. I copied my ini file from the x2 beta folder to the main x2 folder and then ran the old x2 because I thought I needed to do the check for updates to get the new version. But that did not work so I went to the x2 website, downloaded the setup program and installed 4. When I started the new x2 all my macro toolbar buttons were gone. The macros were still available from the custom items menu but the toolbar buttons were gone because the previous version does not know about macros. All I had to do to fix it was copy the ini file from the beta folder again but that would not be as easy with registry settings. So the moral is backup your settings before you install a new version.
astewart

Post by astewart »

FrizzleFry wrote: 2018 Feb 15, 22:49 I complained about having to run macros to really save them during beta testing... nikos just said you can click debug and then stop it instead of running but I don't like that either... maybe many others will complain and nikos will fix it :)
Well, if you don't know the secret handshake (saving is not even mentioned in the web doc), it appears to be just broken. I see the three buttons and I think, left to right:

"Run" -> "Debug" -> "Debug" -> ... -> "Debug" -> "Save" -> close editor

not:

"Save" -> "Run" again because Save doesn't exactly mean Save, even though the name already shows in the editor title.

Alan
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the idea is that unless you run a macro, you are not sure it works properly, so there's no point saving it. If you watch the demo videos in the announcement page at the top of this discussion, you will get a better picture how it is designed to work
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

but if you save something and give it a name it just feels that it should save... you should not have to run it to for it to stick... I really hope nikos rethinks this... it just does not make sense...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I'll have a think about it...

regarding the toolbar gremlins, I have fixed all that long time ago, and I just tried a few reorderings and command deletions and didn't see anything amiss. If you find that something is broken, please give me a step-by-step procedure to reproduce the problem
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

Also, I may have to stop work on a macro to do something else so would want to save it, even though I know it's not complete and will not run correctly.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

while composing a complex macro, here's what I find useful. Before starting the macro editor, clone a separate xplorer2 window with CTRL+N. While you are writing down the macro commands, use the other cloned window to "emulate" the procedure the macro is trying to automate, use dialogs etc.

once upon a time there was an easier way to record macros, as actions rather than "programming" but sadly journal hooks were abolished when vista went UAC crazy
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

nikos wrote: 2018 Feb 16, 07:23 regarding the toolbar gremlins, I have fixed all that long time ago, and I just tried a few reorderings and command deletions and didn't see anything amiss. If you find that something is broken, please give me a step-by-step procedure to reproduce the problem
You had fixed it so that reordering custom items does not affect the toolbars in the current layout (the one where the organize dialog was started) but if you have those items are in toolbars in other layouts they did get changed. Now it seems that the last layout started is not affected by reordering custom items no matter which layout the organize dialog is started from but other layouts are affected whether they are running or not.

I just tested this by swapping two adjacent macros (using the organize dialog) which are in toolbars in three different layouts. The last layout started is not affected, on the other two layouts the toolbar buttons swap.