Column for image captions?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

richardk
Silver Member
Silver Member

Column for image captions?

Post by richardk »

Does xplorer2 display any column that is recognized as an image caption by Wordpress? The metadata field I am talking about has a few slightly different names: IrfanView calls it "Caption (description)" in the IPTC metadata. ExifToolGUI (metadata viewer program) calls it "Caption-Abstract" also in IPTC. If I enter text in this field, it shows up in Wordpress as what they call the caption but I am not seeing it in any Xplorer2 column such as Comment or Description or their variants with [S] or [X] or spelling variants.

PixVue doesn't work on my computer. I tried it and it completely broke other programs, e.g. the image viewer/editor IrfanView could no longer edit or name photos!
v 2.5.0.4
Win 8.1
Xplorer2 user since at least 2005
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Column for image captions?

Post by nikos »

I am not aware of this property but if it doesn't show up in the property page of your images (see the DETAILS tab) then most probably there is no windows system property corresponding to this caption

it may be possible to find a WDX plugin that shows this information but from a quick look there is no mention of captions -- and anyway for WDX integration you'd need to upgrade to a latest version of xplorer2
richardk
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by richardk »

nikos wrote: 2018 Apr 02, 09:54 I am not aware of this property but if it doesn't show up in the property page of your images (see the DETAILS tab)
Turns out it's the very first property of all(!) and Windows calls it "Title" I tried four or five photo metadata editors and read about a dozen articles on managing photo captions and not once was it mentioned that what they all refer to as captions is called Title in Windows itself.

Next question, is there some way to edit this Title field in Xplorer2 in the same way you type F2 to edit the Name column? You would be surprised, none of these photo tag managers allow you to do that; their metadata editing interfaces are all very intricate and require many clicks and cursor movements. By contrast ,for editing mp3 tags there is a program called MP3Tag that gives you a filelist with columns just like a file manager except you can click on any field (artist, album, genre etc) and just type in it sort of like a spreadsheet.
v 2.5.0.4
Win 8.1
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

have you tried the spreadsheet rename mode?
www.zabkat.com/blog/xls-folders.htm
richardk
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by richardk »

Doesn't look like my version has that.
v 2.5.0.4
Win 8.1