Ejecting a USB key after Windows 10 1803 April Update

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ejecting a USB key after Windows 10 1803 April Update

Post by Robert2 »

This is after Windows 10 1803 April Update.
If I use the Safely Remove Hardware icon on the Windows taskbar to eject a USB Drive, the icon vanishes from the Notification Area after ejection of the drive.
If I use the xplorer² “Eject” command in the right-click menu of the xplorer² Drive Bar, the corresponding Drive Letter stays put even though the USB Drive contents can no longer be displayed.
Before the Windows 10 1803 April Update, xplorer² would normally remove the drive letter of the ejected USB key from the Drive Bar.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ejecting a USB key after Windows 10 1803 April Update

Post by nikos »

I don't have this update yet
if you browse "my computer" after eject, does the drive letter show?
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

After eject from the Drive Bar, the drive letter is still showing in both the Drive Bar and My Computer.
If I eject from My Computer, the drive letter is removed from the xplorer² Drive Bar, but it is still showing in My Computer.
If I unplug the USB key, the drive letter is removed from the xplorer² Drive Bar, and also from My Computer, but only after a Refresh (Ctrl+R).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

did they fix that listview scroll bug yet in this release?
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/476 ... pdate-1629
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

It is not happening on my system (Windows 10 Home). But I am not sure it ever happened. I never noticed anything of the kind. This might be due to the fact that my mouse is controlled by X-Mouse Button Control.
I do have a problem with the mouse though, and this is not linked to the Windows April Update. If I have dual panes, select a zip file, right-click that zip file, and try to drag the selection from one pane to the next, I never get the expected right-click menu allowing me to extract the archive into the target pane. This used to work in older versions of xplorer².
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

right click gives options to me when I drag a ZIP file, as expected. Do you get any menu at all?

also what happens when you right drag in windows explorer?
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

I just found out why right-drag was not working: I had set “Item Icons” to “no icons”. As soon as I reset it to “Normal”, right-drag started working again. Problem solved!
But I’ll go back to “no icons”. I don’t need icons! File names and extensions are quite enough.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

even without icons right drag works as expected for me... it must be something else :shrug:
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

I reset “Item Icons” to “no icons” and right-drag started working again. Problem solved! Windows works in mysterious ways…
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

coming back to the original question, is there any difference if the USB device is a thumbdrive (key) or an external hard disk? (there's no eject command for the latter). Does your drivebar update when you insert/remove proper hard disks?
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

When I insert an external hard drive, the xplorer² Drive Bar updates correctly.
If I right-click the corresponding Drive Bar Letter, I have “Safely remove” as top command. If I click that command, I get some kind of communication between the drive and the system but the drive is not disconnected and the drive letter is still visible in the xplorer² Drive Bar. So this xplorer² command is inoperative.
If I use the Safely Remove Hardware icon on the Windows taskbar to eject that same drive, it does not get ejected if the drive contents are still being displayed in xplorer².
If I close xplorer², then use the Safely Remove Hardware icon on the Windows taskbar to eject the drive, it gets ejected correctly.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I know the "safely remove" command in x2 doesn't completely remove the device, but at least disconnects all xplorer2 involvement. If you do it then use your taskbar "safely remove" (2 steps, lame I know) you should be able to do it without quitting xplorer2

and then the question remains, will the drive letter disappear from xplorer2 drivebar?
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

As I said, If I use the Safely Remove Hardware icon on the Windows taskbar to eject the drive, it does not get ejected if the drive contents are still being displayed in xplorer². I need to display a different drive in xplorer² or close xplorer² to be able to actually eject the drive through the Safely Remove Hardware icon on the Windows taskbar. The drive letter is removed from the xplorer² Drive Bar only after the drive was ejected through the Windows Taskbar.
namsupo

Post by namsupo »

nikos wrote: 2018 May 03, 05:01 did they fix that listview scroll bug yet in this release?
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/476 ... pdate-1629
Yeah they did, amazingly.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I finally got build 17134 and my drive letters eject without problem, so I don't know what's wrong with your setup robert2

as for the listview bug, it only took them 10 months or so :party: