Windows 10 April Update and date/time stamp of eml files

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Windows 10 April Update and date/time stamp of eml files

Post by Robert2 »

At first, I could not believe my eyes. But it was actually happening: whenever I hover the mouse pointer over a file with eml extension, the file date/time stamps that are displayed within the popup tooltip are automatically changed to the current date/time! This is an offspring of Windows 10 April Update 1803. And it is happening in both xplorer² and Windows own File Explorer!

Can anybody confirm this? Offer a solution?
This makes sorting eml files by date impossible.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10 April Update and date/time stamp of eml files

Post by nikos »

are these eml saved by thunderbird or something? I don't have any
in xplorer2 if you are certain that the infotip is the problem, you can just disable infotips from options
I am sure the bug will be fixed eventually. You can report it using your windows 10 Feedback app
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

These eml files are saved by drag & drop from Thunderbird as a way to create instant manual backups. These date changes never happened before the April Update.
The problem is not the infotip. The problem is that the file date/time stamp is altered. It is visible in xplorer² if you have these eml files sorted by date. Eml files with older time stamps are automatically resorted as their time stamp gets “updated” through the mouse pointer hover gesture.
I doubt that I would get anywhere sending feedback to MS…
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if enough people report this bug, they will take notice!
another thing you can do is talk about it in the thunderbird forums
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

The date stamp is not changed by Thunderbird. It is changed by Windows when it creates a popup with the file date/time stamp. It should display the original date stamp. Instead of that, it displays the current date/time and automatically updates the actual Create date/time associated with the files under the mouse pointer.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

I found the solution at Why do .EML files modified date change on mouseover??
There is plenty of silly talk in that thread from ignorami masquerading as MS MVPs and the like, but a poster gave an explanation and a solution. It can be found at eml files have wrong last modification date time.
The following registry key has to be removed: \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.eml
Problem solved! The date/time stamps of eml files are no longer changed on mouseover in either xplorer² or Windows own File Explorer (which I don’t use).