Can't move to next file by typing first letter

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

richardk
Silver Member
Silver Member

Can't move to next file by typing first letter

Post by richardk »

I did some testing and can describe the bug where the ability to jump to the next file beginning with a given letter freezes and you can only move to the next file of that same letter (and loop around after the last one) and no other letter works. I mentioned this tangentially in another thread yesterday. It's been the same for many years (5? 10?) but I don't think it happened all the time. There are two different behaviors:

1) Full freeze:

After a *random* number of "letter jumps" of a given letter the function freezes and you can only do letter jumps with that same letter. It takes 2 to 4 letter jumps using the same letter to bring on the freeze. But sometimes it doesn't happen even after a dozen or two letter jumps.

To unfreeze you have to:

-type some other letter two or three times, maybe four, and then jump resumes
-Sometimes that doesn't work and you have to hit Esc

2) Higher-letter freeze:

Same as above but you *can* letter-jump to letters that come after the letter you were using. So after jumping through the Ts you can jump to U V W X Y or Z, but A through S are blocked and you have to do the unfreeze.
v 2.5.0.4
Win 8.1
Xplorer2 user since at least 2005
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can't move to next file by typing first letter

Post by nikos »

I don't see any problem with my v4.1
keep in mind that all these things rely on a timer, so if you type quickly all letters are considered part of a filename. If you type moderately slowly (e.g. leave half a second gaps), it should be considered a brand new letter
richardk
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Can't move to next file by typing first letter

Post by richardk »

nikos wrote: 2018 Oct 04, 08:28 If you type moderately slowly (e.g. leave half a second gaps), it should be considered a brand new letter
I tried that; doesn't work.
v 2.5.0.4
Win 8.1
Xplorer2 user since at least 2005