Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Possible bug? Pin to Taskbar nonexistent WinX 18323

Post by johngalt »

Firstly, some specs:
  • Xplorer^2 (ugh, I hate not having superscripts in the forums) version 4.1.0.1 ULT x64 10/17/2018 Single Seat license
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Insider Preview build 18323.1000
I have an executable in a folder (extracted from a .ZIP file) that I wanted to pin to my WinX taskbar. I know it is possible, because I do it all the time (and thus don't have to install software, and then have to reinstall when I cleanly install Windows - just go to the saved folder and pin the executable to the taskbar again). In this case, it is KeePass v2.41.

In X^2 context menu, the item to pin an executable to the taskbar is missing. I've checked with multiple .EXE files - does not show at all.

In Windows File explorer, it *does* show.

However, interestingly enough, if an item is already pinned to the taskbar, the *Unpin* item *does* show in X^2.

So, what do I need to do in terms of testing to help ascertain that this is a bug in X^2 versus something wrong on my system?

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Possible bug? Pin to Taskbar nonexistent WinX 18323

Post by nikos »

windows explorer doesn't play fair, keeps some things to itself. xplorer2 doesn't know what goes in the menu, it just shows what the system passes on to it. Anyway, assuming that you are running xplorer2 normally (not elevated as a full admin), I don't know why this should happen. What if you first run a program, then right click on its taskbar button to PIN it there?

you can also try holding SHIFT while you right click, this shows more menu commands sometimes
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

“Pin to Taskbar” is missing from the right-click context menu in xplorer², but you can drag & drop the executable from xplorer² to Taskbar.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

nikos wrote: 2019 Jan 28, 05:26 windows explorer doesn't play fair, keeps some things to itself. xplorer2 doesn't know what goes in the menu, it just shows what the system passes on to it. Anyway, assuming that you are running xplorer2 normally (not elevated as a full admin), I don't know why this should happen. What if you first run a program, then right click on its taskbar button to PIN it there?

you can also try holding SHIFT while you right click, this shows more menu commands sometimes
I probably should have said "It was there just last week", or something to that effect.

It could be something with this Windows build specifically. It's been causing all sorts of headaches.

As for holding SHIFT down, yeah, I know about that one - I use that trick for copying a file's full path. But even that does not show the Pin to taskbar item.

I don't run X^2 as admin, and I verified repeatedly after rebooting more than once that it is not working.

The odd thing is that, as you mention, it is whatever is being passed from Windows Explorer. But Windows Explorer shows it there (and I took those first 2 screenshots within seconds of each other).

I have a Macrium backup of the last Insider build that I was running, on which I am semi-sure (50% - I'm getting old, sorry!) that it worked. It will probably take me a few days to verify. But, it could very well be that it has been missing for a while now and I only just noticed it (although I doubt that, because I had recently pinned KeePass to the taskbar, ad I do not use Explorer for anything anymore, only X2....)
Robert2 wrote: 2019 Jan 28, 06:21 “Pin to Taskbar” is missing from the right-click context menu in xplorer², but you can drag & drop the executable from xplorer² to Taskbar.
Yeah, I also know that you can copy it - but I've always used the shortcut because, well, it's just easier. And if it was broken in Windows Explorer I could understand. Similarly, since the Unpin *does* show, I figured it might be a bug.

(Side note - what BBCode did you use to get a superscript?)

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I don't think it has to do with anything other than explorer double dealing on itself. To convince yourself of the conspiracy, use any program's Open system dialog and check its context menu on a EXE file, you'll see the pin command missing as it does for xplorer2
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

what BBCode did you use to get a superscript?
² can easily be typed through its ANSI number. You only need to press the Alt key and type 0178.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

nikos wrote: 2019 Jan 29, 08:12 I don't think it has to do with anything other than explorer double dealing on itself. To convince yourself of the conspiracy, use any program's Open system dialog and check its context menu on a EXE file, you'll see the pin command missing as it does for xplorer2
I'm assuming you don't mean to check the context menu from, say, the start menu, so that leaves me with Explorer and Xplorer²...
Robert2 wrote: 2019 Jan 29, 08:56
what BBCode did you use to get a superscript?
² can easily be typed through its ANSI number. You only need to press the Alt key and type 0178.
Doh!

I should have remembered that trick, especially as I use Charmap to routinely put the α and β characters into file names....

I've gotten spoiled by other BB systems that have a superscript tag built in to the WYSIWIG editor....thanks for the reminder.