Quick Filter Ideas

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

mjbrookes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Quick Filter Ideas

Post by mjbrookes »

1) When I click within the Quick Filter box (part of the Address Toolbar)
Can I get Xplorer2 to provide a drop-down list of the last 10 -20 most recently used filters?

2) I frequently type in a Quick Filter when I want the filter to apply to the INactive Pane.
Yes I know this is my fault :-)
But is there any way I can easily swap the current-quick-filter from the current pane to the inactive pane?
(keyboard shortcut, or one-click action)

regards
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Quick Filter Ideas

Post by nikos »

the answer is no for the current version. A history list is perhaps overkill for this box (usually one filters for 2-3 characters so it will be quicker to just re-type them). As for the inactive pane, i'll see if it can be done with ALT+ENTER (but it cannot easily fit in with the automatic application of the filter as you type)
mjbrookes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mjbrookes »

ok, thanks
mjbrookes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mjbrookes »

After re-reading your post I think I understand better why it is difficult.
however I would like to suggest it would be worthwhile effort ... :D

I usually only notice that I have entered the quick-filter-characters for the wrong pane after typing a few characters and the Active pane performs the requested filter.

At this point the cursor is still in the Quick-filter-box and the Active-Pane-background turns a nice orange color (because of advanced options settings) and I realize that I want to apply the filter to the inActive pane.

Currently I have to leave the quick-filter-box, click the inactive pane to make it active and Re-Type the quick filter characters.

not all my filter's are simple
eg *smith*--NR--*__(scan)*
or *weber*--5@--*__(DL)*

so an "apply to inactive-pane button" would be welcome/best
or a history drop-down would help
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

I really alike "Apply to other pane" idea, perhaps 2 fold - apply to other pane (leaving current pane also filtered) and "swap to other pane" meaning move your current filter to the other pane.

No history to worry about then, only the current entry, for one thing.

---

Not hijacking, but asking for additional functionality that goes along with this request:

Adding to this - would it be (programmatically speaking) hard to allow the [ESC] key to cancel the quick filter if the actual quick filter text entry is focused?

Reason I ask is that several times I will accidentally trip the quick filter as I try to move to a particular file in the dir by simply typing the first 3 chars of the name (s, 7-z to find the 7-zip installer I have in my installers folder), easy to not see when you have the dir sorted by something other than name). But I sometimes fat-finger in a 4th char, which then activates the quick filter and, usually, as the fat-fingered character is not an actual part of what I am searching for, the filter has no results. SO, an Escape key press would take me right back to where I was, about to look for 7-z. instead of having to mouse over to the box and then disable the quick filter....

mjbrookes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mjbrookes »

Tools > Advanced options ... >> ... Layout Settings > General > incremental search auto filter

If set to "5" then when typing characters within a folder the quick-filter will not be toggled until you have typed 5 characters.

(Thanks are due to Nikos for teaching me, and giving me this chance to show off :D )

I still like your idea of ESCaping out of quick-filter, though.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

when in the quick filter box, press F2 key to erase the text (and cancel the filter). With the mouse you click on [X] button to the right end of the quick filter box
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

mjbrookes wrote: 2019 Jul 08, 15:32 Tools > Advanced options ... >> ... Layout Settings > General > incremental search auto filter

If set to "5" then when typing characters within a folder the quick-filter will not be toggled until you have typed 5 characters.

(Thanks are due to Nikos for teaching me, and giving me this chance to show off :D )

I still like your idea of ESCaping out of quick-filter, though.
Thanks! Always glad when I gain more knowledge, now I can set it higher.
nikos wrote: 2019 Jul 08, 17:00 when in the quick filter box, press F2 key to erase the text (and cancel the filter). With the mouse you click on [X] button to the right end of the quick filter box
Ahhh, see, what I am asking for via the ESC functionality is handled by F2.

mjbrookes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mjbrookes »

johngalt wrote: 2019 Jul 08, 23:09 Ahhh, see, what I am asking for via the ESC functionality is handled by F2.
True, but I think pressing ESC is more intuitive - user friendly.
I didn't know about F2 either, but I had tried ESC with no apparent effect

It seems that the ESC has no function in this situation ... So I would vote to make it do what F2 now does.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ESC jumps out of the quickfilter box back into the folder view pane
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Ahh, yes, it does change the focus, but leaves the entered text in place.

Well, F2 works splendidly. Thanks for the heads up!