blog: dark window theme

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: blog: dark window theme

Post by nikos »

I will look into it but it is going to be a very big job for questionable usability return. Fashions! :roll:
neko
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by neko »

I used to think the same way you do. Then I started experimenting slowly with mobile because it saves battery (apparently). But that is not so important than that the dark screen started feels really good especially in the mornings and evenings. Now I use it in phone/tablet and Windows 10 whenever it is possible. When you used to it, dark mode is more usability and much more pleasant than bright IMO (and many others too). I do not think it is only a "fashion", anymore. But this is my humble opinion. And of course, normal/dark mode must be user selectable thing. :)

I really appreciate if you do it. And I will pay for it somehow. <3
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

I've been a fan of dark modes of reading for a much, much longer time. As in the days of the online dialup BBSs - the nice dark screens.

If there was a way to allow X2 to simply follow the native settings for the OS, that would be fantastic - but I suspect that requires more of a re-write of the code than is necessarily worth it for you.

I've already paid 3 times, and I'm rather sure that I would be willing to pay again to help development of this, though, if that is the only reason that it has not and is not coming to fruition (but, as I mentioned above, I doubt that).

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

johngalt wrote: 2019 Sep 13, 18:21 If there was a way to allow X2 to simply follow the native settings for the OS, that would be fantastic - but I suspect that requires more of a re-write of the code than is necessarily worth it for you.
that's the crazy thing, MS have only provided dark mode for UWP (store) apps, and desktop apps like xplorer2 have to do everything manually :x
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Yup - which is why I know it would require such a massive rewrite for you.

Which provides a nice segue into my next question: Any (even remote) possibility of Xploerer² ever becoming a UWP app?

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

xplorer2 lite is UWP already, but it doesn't support dark themes either (search the MS store)