xplorer2 v4207 beta

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

dgcruzing

Re: xplorer2 v4207 beta

Post by dgcruzing »

Do we need to do anything here if we download and give it a run?
No problems with what we have got going already within the system?

Be happy to put it through it paces.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I have tested the program before releasing it as a beta, so there shouldn't be any big problems in it, but that's the point of testing, seeing if there are any leftover bugs. If you find something amiss please let me know
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

nikos wrote: 2019 Oct 17, 15:07 can you think of any regexp rename scenario that cannot be handled?
Not really. I tried all edge cases, including target file names which already existed and conditional positive look-aheads. The only thing that is missing is a more useful error display than "check the highlighted files" - because it won't tell me WTF is wrong.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

nikos wrote: 2019 Oct 14, 11:09 And the light ceased... and darkness fell upon the land :)
there was no moon, just diesel trucks

screenshot: http://zabkat.com/test/dark2.png
download BETA(test): http://zabkat.com/test/xplorer2_setup64_ult_beta.exe

<snip>
Bless you! This is going to be a huge improvement!
Tuxman wrote: 2019 Oct 14, 18:36 Am I the last person on Earth who really doesn't like dark backgrounds?

Why is the DOS UI so popular again? :roll:
It's not the DOS UI - there was barely anything in the DOS UI, unless you used extremely complicated ESC char routines to create a UI yourself.
drac wrote: 2019 Oct 14, 19:04 You are not alone in disliking the dark themes. Not sure what the advantage is other than making it harder for older eyes to read the text unless there is a LOT of contrast between text and background colors. I also like the bright background in the morning - it helps wake me up.
Advantages are numerous, depending upon where you sit:

1) Much less power draw on machines, particularly OLED screens where the pixels for black objects are actually just off. See https://gizmodo.com/why-is-oled-differe ... 1654102034

2) While some people like the light background and dark letters for easier reading, from someone who has had vision correction since around the age of 8 (I'm currently 48), and who currently wears contact lenses, I am extremely susceptible to bright light and glare effect from bright light. I find it much easier on my eyes when I read light colored text on dark backgrounds versus the default standard. As such, I look for this option in any software that I can have it in - even web browsers.
Gandolf wrote: 2019 Oct 15, 02:54 In days of old
When knights were bold
and Windows wasn't invented
We had a black screen
The text was green
and we were not contented.

It's called "fashion". People want it just because Windows introduced a dark mode, I suspect because they had run out of other ideas!

I use a dark screen for text editors, but otherwise I prefer a light background.
No, if you plan to dismiss something that you don't like / need / want as simply being a fashion for others, then you're no better than the folks that say white backgrounds are just *old-fashioned*.

There is a very real medical need by some folks, such as myself, to not have glaring white spaces firing photons at our eyes. It's much, much easier for me, as an IT professional, someone who uses various computer and device screens on an average of 8-12 hours a day, to have dark-colored apps versus light-colored apps. And yes, when outdoors, I'm almost always wearing sunglasses, particularly those with polarized lenses to reduce the glare that objects in the sun inevitably put out.

Please don't be dismissive like that.

drac
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by drac »

I have no issues with the dark mode colors as long as it does not take away my ability to have colors that are easy for me to read! As you point out, the old monitors were often dark backgrounds with green or white text. HOWEVER, many dark themes have black backgrounds with light gray text which is NOT easy for me to read. A photography forum I access, recently changed to such a theme - with NO option to change colors. After I and others complained, they put message text in black with white background, but left headers and other parts of the screen in the dark theme. This solved my issues and maybe kept the people who liked the theme as a fashion, happy.

Again, my issue was not to force others to use something that benefits me, but to allow each person some kind of choice (even if it is limited) to colors that are good for them. Since lack of contrast is an issue for me, I believe I am more open to accommodating other people who have real (non-fashion related) issues with some color schemes. Of course, one has to be AWARE of the needs of other people in order to understand those needs. I am fine with black on white (or other dark colors on white) or white (or other light colors) on black. It is when I encounter themes that have a black or gray background with medium gray text (or other low contrast combinations) that I have issues. This is especially true when (like on that photo forum) I have no way to adjust the scheme to my needs.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

johngalt wrote: 2019 Oct 18, 22:39 1) Much less power draw on machines, particularly OLED screens where the pixels for black objects are actually just off. See https://gizmodo.com/why-is-oled-differe ... 1654102034
Do you use xplorer² on an OLED screen? Does anyone?
johngalt wrote: 2019 Oct 18, 22:39 There is a very real medical need by some folks, such as myself, to not have glaring white spaces firing photons at our eyes.
There is some difference between a light background and glaring white spaces. A light yellow background is recommended.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

And we all know that what is recommended is 100% applicable to *everyone* No exceptions.

JFC. I took enough design classes myself to know that. I also know that you're to write technical manuals at a 5th grade level so as to make them easily understood by the masses. But does that mean everyone actually reads only at a 5th grade level?

And my reason is not the OLED, as I very specifically stated. Thanks for noticing.

mjbrookes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mjbrookes »

Hi Nikos

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11720

custom columns - multi file multi-column editing?

is there any prospect of progress on this idea within this Beta?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

mjbrookes I was planning to add this "change all attributes" mode in v4.3 but I've lost so much time with this cursed black mode that I ran out of time... version 4.4 perhaps :)

here's another beta with more things blackened (pushbuttons for windows 10).
download 64 bit ultimate: www.zabkat.com/test/xplorer2_setup64_ult_beta.exe

I am waiting for a few translations and I will call this a "final" release, probably this weekend
mjbrookes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mjbrookes »

ok, thanks for the update.

any date(s) in mind for ver 4.4?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

usually release cycles are 6 months long (twice a year)
mjbrookes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mjbrookes »

If/when you are ready to tackle this idea,
and If you want feedback on the design or testing on my project's data,
can you email me to catch my attention?

(I tend to only check the Forum when I have a problem to solve :) )
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what I have in mind is something exactly like the mass rename dialog, with an extra field that will tell us WHICH text attribute to mass-set. When you set it to name, it will do mass rename, when you set it to comment, it will set comments etc. It can also do search replace and all the rest of it
neko
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by neko »

Just asking, is there options to set grid line color?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

no, the listview control decides their color automatically. Your only choice is whether to show gridlines or not