Windows 10 intercepts too much

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

point

Windows 10 intercepts too much

Post by point »

Only just "upgraded" to Windows 10 since my beloved Win7 will soon be unsafe. Though I've reinstalled X2 pro to reclaim all the open with stuff and not use Win's version at all, I'm finding loads of places Win10 asserts itself while doing anything other than WIN+E or directly opening it. I selected replace for all when reinstalling, and all the usual settings to have X2 do it all...to no avail. Browser downloads, opening something from Adobe programs and more, they all open with Windows Explorer, which I despise.

As I've already tried reinstalling and snatching that back from Windows, it's clear to me I've either missed something or Windows has found a way to take that back (like they did with graphics, PDFs and even printers). Any hope for sending that packing and getting more control back?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10 intercepts too much

Post by nikos »

first do a sanity check, does xplorer2 open when you double click on a folder say, on your desktop?
do you have the latest xplorer2 version?
in general not all programs respect the folder association, some talk to windows explorer directly
point

Post by point »

Folders, "WIN+E" all work as before, with x2. I just installed the latest update of x2 (was on the November release) and no change. Things like Photoshop still using Windows explorer (open, save, save as), as are downloads in Firefox, where neither did before Win10 (it's more than just those two). I know Win10 tries to subvert all previous choices (I mean, who wouldn't prefer opening PDFs in Edge rather than Acrobat?) to it's own, but this doesn't seem configurable, and it's frustrating. I love x2, and prefer it for 99.9% of operations.
Any thoughts?
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

point

Post by point »

Thanks, Robert, but it's not about changing a few file types to a new handler, it's about Windows Explorer taking control over things I'd prefer (and used to be able to) to access via x2. I've already changed files associations I needed to, now I would like to get the Windows 10 "Explorer" to show up as little as possible, maybe not at all, unless specifically called by me.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

You could use my own favorite solution to open any file: find the file in x2 first, then use drag & drop from x2 onto the target app.
point

Post by point »

Robert2 wrote: 2020 Jan 09, 01:35 You could use my own favorite solution to open any file: find the file in x2 first, then use drag & drop from x2 onto the target app.
Thanks again, but it's not something that works beyond "open" dialogs, and it's clunky. I'm seeing Windows taking over save, save as, downloads (save where) and so on. I bought x2 since I hated how the native Windows explorer did things, and now it seems it's upset about that. Either I've missed a setting, or the setting doesn't work in Win10 home.
Thanks, MS, for yet another choice taken from me. :(
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

open/save dialogs have always been limited to windows explorer, it isn't something new
point

Post by point »

Have to disagree there, I'm afraid. Though it sometimes happened in Windows 7, most of the time it was x2 that opened in many of the same situations, and the reason I'm here asking about Win10 having changed that. Maybe I got lucky and x2 intercepted only for me, but that was my experience.

Just going to have to bite the bullet and deal with Explorer more often than I like.
Thanks.
lancer21

Post by lancer21 »

Well, it may have been a Win7 only thing, as Windows Explorer managing save dialogs is a standard even with xplorer² installed on Win8.1 and Win10.