Updated, now starts open with Win10

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

point

Updated, now starts open with Win10

Post by point »

Recently updated (4.4.0.1 x64), and each time Windows 10 boots, xplorer2 is open on the desktop. It wasn't open on shutdown, and it hadn't been doing this before the update. It added a startup folder entry (not sure if this existed before) of "C:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2\xplorer2_64.exe" /M
I'm fairly certain this has happened to me before, a long while ago, but can't find the post or email with the solution.

Any thoughts on the cause and more importantly, the fix?
point

Re: Updated, now starts open with Win10

Post by point »

As usual, I find my post as soon as I start a new thread. Last time this happened was in 2014, and Windows 7.
Then, it was several entries in startup, this time it might be the flag in there was incorrectly set to "/M" by the installer. That's "Does not allow window to open in minimized mode on startup", clearly not right.

The flag should be /Z (Silently start and stay in the background without a window), which will hopefully put this back to normal.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

perhaps you ticked the new installer option "start xplorer2 with windows"?
point

Post by point »

I think I may have. Without reinstalling, is there a fix, like maybe just removing the startup menu link?
Using the /Z startup flag didn't do anything, either.

Just reinstalled, and it didn't touch the startup entry. ;)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

remove the startup entry and you won't see it again. Otherwise uninstall then reinstall
point

Post by point »

Just removed it, thanks. Interesting side note, after reinstalling yesterday, making sure that wasn't checked, booted this morning and had 2 xplorer2 windows open. I'll see if it helps removing from the startup, and if not, maybe I need to fiddle in the registry.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I don't know why this happens to some people but the certain remedy is to not replace windows explorer with xplorer2 (that's when xplorer2 also starts every time but stays hidden)
point

Post by point »

Back to a single open window on boot after removing from the startup folder. :roll:

As for not telling it to replace Windows Explorer? That's kind of the point to using this, isn't it?
I'd like this to show up as much as possible, and it seems counter intuitive to shut that off.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you start xplorer2 and never close it, it's the same thing isn't it?
point

Post by point »

> if you start xplorer2 and never close it, it's the same thing isn't it?

Never close it? I don't leave xplorer2 windows open all day, I'm in fact trying to get it to open only when asked. Have I misunderstood your meaning?
point

Post by point »

Well, nothing has worked. Rolled back a version, reinstalled that and chose not to replace Explorer, reinstalled latest without replacing, then with...nothing seems to get rid of the open window on startup; it's refusing to go back to how it was just a little while ago.
Very annoying.

Open to suggestions.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

use your task manager, it has a STARTUP tab, whatever you find in there with xplorer2 make it disabled
point

Post by point »

Thanks, Nikos. Didn't think to look there (as it was in startup, as well as "run" in the registry), but that did the trick. No more window on boot. :D