Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: xplorer2 4308 beta

Post by pschroeter »

Okay you asked for it.
* Ctrl+mousewheel changes thumbnail size as well as view styles, so you can easily view huge thumbnail previews
I’ve noticed something about how this works in folder windows. If I scroll down a long list of thumbnails and want to change the thumbnail size, the window jumps all the way back to the top of the list before the size changes and I have to scroll down and find the images again. The solution seems to be to select the image before changing the size, but I don’t think I should have to.

Something else I’ve noticed is if I do select an image and change thumbnail size, after I deselect it and go back to scrolling and then again try to change the thumbnail size with nothing selected, the screen jumps back towards the top, but not as far.

I would rather changing the size of thumbnails with none of them selected did it’s best to try to center on what’s currently near the middle of the screen, instead of making me feel like I'm starting over in the list with each size change.
* [P] TOOLS > BACKUP COPY menu copies all items (and their subfolders) from the active to the inactive pane (the backup location, e.g. a USB drive) using "overwrite if newer else skip" robust transfer option.
Does this detect name changes? What I mean is does it change the name on the backup or does it just create a new copy? Does this erase a file in the destination if it's been erased in the source? I've wanted to find a very simple backup utility like Synctoy set to mirror files.
When you uninstall the beta, DON'T erase its settings,
I'm not sure what you mean, because there isn't a separate listing for the beta in add/remove programs. About the only thing I can think to do is erase its folder in Programs/Zabkat. I thought x2 wrote setting into the registry, and the beta and regular Ult shared it, and hoped the beta will leave it's new settings behind for regular version to find when it gets upgraded.

I wish there were more testers like you, you are the new kilmatead
I am so flattered I'm positively flabbergasted. Looking at this thread I sometimes wonder if I'm the only beta tester. I'm not in a position to test network or programming features. I'm not exactly a power user and consider myself a middling feature daily user and interface freak.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I don't know if anybody else except for you and me are testing... you are the only one who came with feedback. It's been like that for ages I suppose. Everyone is waiting for a stable release, but without testing feedback, "stable" is whatever leaves my own laptop :)

backup copy is just "overwrite if newer else skip" option. It doesn't rename. It merely copies everything except for files that were unchanged since last backup. It is like a 1-way synchronization

as for your zoom request, I've changed something but I don't know how well it will behave. I don't have a proper mousewheel so it behaves erratically for me all the time!

finally for the uninstaller, you're right, I thought there was a separate uninstall beta entry, but there isn't. I'll look into it. In the meantime just ignore the beta when the stable version is out
EMathews3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by EMathews3 »

Using 4.4.0.1 Ultimate from May 3, in the Tree pane it's easy to right-click Recycle Bin, choose xplorer2->Hide this folder, and Poof! Irrelevant tree items just disappear.

Then to see the hidden entries again, right-click on some empty space and un-check/turn off "Use blacklist".
Then to hide the useless entries again, right-click on some empty space and re-check/turn on "Use blacklist".
With this switch, any entries on the list are hidden or shown. All of that is a terrific feature.

But to remove an entry from the list, so that the "Use hide-list" menu-checkmark has no effect on the entry's visibility, the instructions say to temporarily turn off the list to show all entries, then right-click the entry, and choose xplorer2->Hide this folder.
Nothing appears to happen right away, but once you again turn on the list, the newly-non-hidden entry will remain visible, while entries still on the Hide-list will disappear.

The UI flaw is - I expect the tree entry's "Hide this folder" menu item to include a checkmark, to indicate the entry's presence on the Hide-list. That way, you can toggle "Hide this folder" on and off, and see that your clicking is having an effect, without needing to toggle the whole hide-list on and off.

Just a usability refinement of the new Hiding feature for the next point-release.
Last edited by EMathews3 on 2020 Jul 16, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ok i'll see if something can be done