#manatwork

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

#manatwork

Post by nikos »

I started work on v5, a big upgrade that should be out in a month or 2. The biggest new features are going to be
* tree quickfilter (done)
* backup operations from/to non-filesystem locations like phones and compressed folders
* "miller" columns, think of apple finder column browsing mode

I am going to be keeping you up to date here too, but if you want up to the minute developments use the facebook page

if you want to recommend features, now it's the time!
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: #manatwork

Post by johngalt »

How about closed ßeta testing? :idea:

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

too early for betas, perhaps by the end of january
mjbrookes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mjbrookes »

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11912
Float the preview panel using Keyboard shortcut?

please
Thank you
mjbrookes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mjbrookes »

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11744

Quick Filter ideas

regards
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

A command line option to specify the position of the X2 window (X, Y, W, H), for both normal and scrap-frame windows. For years I've hacked the registry, prefilling its positioning parameters (binWindowPlacement), in order to get the next window to open (the one I am setting up to open) to open where I want it., There are quirks: different rules for normal windows and scrap frames; different rules for the first X2 window to open and subsequent windows to open. A simple command line option would avoid all of this.

I do this because for certain projects I open at least six windows spread across my screen showing different parts of the same project. The windows are tightly positioned and sized -- some large and some small -- to provide a surface for work that suits my taste and habit. X2, fortunately, supports all of this very nicely, albeit for sizing and placement a bit indirectly.

But regardless of what you do with the new release: please keep the 3XXXX codes going, and supply 3XXXX codes for the new stuff too.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i'll see what I can do for you
but you've used all 3 wishes :)

btw the window position is part of layout information (see WINDOW menu)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

nikos wrote: 2021 Jan 17, 13:24 * backup operations from/to non-filesystem locations like phones and compressed folders
Those are actually filesystem locations.
nikos wrote: 2021 Jan 17, 13:24 if you want to recommend features, now it's the time!
Make the Miller columns animated, like OneCommander does. :biggrin:
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

how are phones and (inside) zipfolders filesystem locations? Currently copy options like "overwrite if newer else skip" don't work if the source or target folder are "funny"

re: onecommander, I don't think i'll go so extravagant, anyway these animations look fine if you are 3 levels deep, but what if you have 10 levels folders from the root? There's no point (or space) showing 10 levels simultaneously
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

nikos wrote: 2021 Jan 19, 11:08 how are phones and (inside) zipfolders filesystem locations?
As modern Windows basically uses its zip-capable DLLs to transparently mount archives as file systems (folders, as you call them), the operating system accepts them as perfectly valid file system locations. Phones - when connected as external drives - are seen as file systems as well, not necessarily with a NTFS-compatible file system though.
nikos wrote: 2021 Jan 19, 11:08 re: onecommander, I don't think i'll go so extravagant
It would be a good April’s joke though... ;)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

do you fancy a pointless argumentation like in the kilmatead days? :P
filesystem is something with a filesystem path like C:\me@rse
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

We both miss the Kilmatead days, don’t we? :D

A creator of a file manager should know that a file system does not need to have a drive letter - or else, the file manager is not quite working as it should. :wink:
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Jumping in on the file system discussion (as I do not see it as an argument, per se) (yet):

I do know that when connecting my phone (Pixel 4 XL running Android 11 latest patched) to my computer (new AMD Ryzen 9 3950X-based machine - I can go into full hardware details if need be but that is pretty much irrelevant here) running Windows 10 20H2, when I go to copy items in either direction, the support for files on the phone is very, very limited. X² is able to see files are there, but there is no native treating them as files located on local disks / USB Flash Devices, aka UFDs.

I can probably make a short animation explicitly showing the differences, but the gist is that it seems that X² treats the connected phone in file transfer mode (MTP, perhaps?) as if it is a Network location from which it gets limited information. When copying files to / from the phone, only a basic Windows file copy dialog box pops up, not the normal Robust copy / move interface from X².

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

phones are read as MTP, they are rather slow, and are limited in general. The new version will allow a few extra copying options there, e.g. "overwrite if newer else skip"
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

You the man (at work!)

Seriously, though, nifty. my current phone and computer can transfer files much more quickly than the Beast that was replaced, but it was still so ... blah ... doing it in X². Nice to know that it is going to change,

I suppose I'll need to buy another ultimate license for my laptop now. You keep making this better every time I turn around.

Stahp!

(OK, no, not serious - please don't stop improving it!)