here's the big one!

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: here's the big one!

Post by nikos »

look, this is a new feature so there's room for change and improvement. As these "miller" folders are usually one next to each other (like an expanded tree), I thought there was no point of saving them all together. But let's hear what others have to say and things can change in the future
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

Thanks for the pointer on peek preview size and position.

The size setting is, I think, problematic. My screen is 3840x1600. If I set the setting to 50%, then text files (e.g.) do not display very widely across the screen, which is good, but the don't display very tall (only 800 pxiels), which is not good. Images too are squished to half height. I would much prefer a normal page aspect ratio for this. I have been accustomed to your external quick viewer, which can be sized and placed and stays put, and this has led me to believe that sizing and placing is the norm. For me, the placing of the viewer should be stable with respect to the X2 window if I use Alt+Q or the keyboard, and not change based on which particular file currently has the selection.

In contrast, the double-mouse-button works great: the quick peek is centered on the mouse and it pops up just as one would expect.

I suspect the double-mouse-button will quickly become very very useful.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I could add a separate width/height for the popup preview, but still it won't catch all situations. Text documents don't have any "natural size"; photos have, but half are landscape, half are portrait. You can't win them all.
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

Separate width and height might do it. The quick peek popups are not all one size: for images I notice them popping up at different sizes depending on the image, so when you do the popup you apparently are (or something is) aware of the aspect ratio. In this case (images) a maximum width and a maximum height would work consistently -- one or the other would constrain the popup, and that is fine. For non-images you may need another slider pair. These additions would make it work quite naturally, I think, and if set to good defaults most users would never know they existed.

This quick peek popup will be (is) a great added feature, and is worth making work perfectly.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ok to keep things simple i'll add a "maxwidth" option that will apply only for text stuff
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Tried Miller columns and they worked, but I don't think that's a feature I'll use.

Regarding another post about mass rename and your response to using fixed position syntax to replace characters at a certain location in the filename, can you please update the token help screen for mass rename to include that syntax? It's in special tokens, but showing the syntax in the token help list would be a nice, easy add.

-----------------------------
PJ in FL
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you press F1 key from within the mass rename dialog it will show you all the little details
I've just fixed the problem that didn't allow firefox etc to browse the help file in context, fingers crossed!
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Just downloaded. Going to play with it later.

otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

A couple of days ago I installed the beta as a replacement for the current version, so that it is automatically what is started whenever X2 is begun. The beta is working fine. Have not seen a hiccup even with all my homegrown automation and 3XXXX-code poking: everything is working well (even the automation that automatically replies to the "time-limited beta" and "continue in trial mode" dialogs -- needed because I start X2 maybe a hundred times a day).
rail4you

Post by rail4you »

Column mode is really nice.

I have a feature request to make it better:
Enhanced single click

When I use column mode, I must double click the folder to enter it every time. But in Finder, I just need a single click to open the folder with column view.

One solution is to use "single click" option, but opening files is "single click" too, it is very annoying.

Enhanced single click is the right way, in this mode:
1. if it is the folder, single click to enter the folder
2. if it is the file, single click only select the file, double click open the file

In one word, single click works only in folders. It is a setting(must config in ini file) in Total Commander and I use it about 10 years. Single click folder save me a lot of time.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

have you tried the "automatic" mode? Use advanced options, find miller settings, and tick "automatically open selected folder". This works for both mouse and keyboard
rail4you

Post by rail4you »

Thank you for quick reply. The automatic option is what I need.
But a little different from finder.

First, the option has a "timeout" tip, but I can't find where "timeout" come from.
Second, it is not stable now. Sometimes the setting didn't work, I have to use "enter" trigger it again.
hajubu

Post by hajubu »

Have just tried the x2b5 - for the 'Miller' Column mode.

Porbably I found an unwanted side-effect.
During the first start the First Column 'Name' is shrunk to 'zero' width.
Can be recovered with standard method
- mouse selection manually touch and strecth
or with autosizing (Ctrl+ADD)
----
So far Column mode works seemless :beer:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

rail4you wrote: 2021 Feb 10, 09:54 First, the option has a "timeout" tip, but I can't find where "timeout" come from.
this is the same as the tree timeout, which is set to 0.5 second. Search advanced options for "tree auto-expanding timeout"
rail4you wrote: 2021 Feb 10, 09:54 Second, it is not stable now. Sometimes the setting didn't work, I have to use "enter" trigger it again.
do you have sticky selection enabled? If not, can you pin down the circumstances when this glitch occurs?

hajubu wrote: 2021 Feb 10, 09:59 During the first start the First Column 'Name' is shrunk to 'zero' width.
I fixed a bug that may cause this, today there's going to be an updated beta, please double check later!
rail4you

Post by rail4you »

My setting is all default, only tick the automatic open panel option.

I find the pattern of the problem.

When I change the focus to another column, I must press "enter" or "double click" to open a folder once ,the automatic open feature works.

But in finder, I didn't need the extra step above, I can click any folders in the columns and the view changed.