Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

beta version 450.15

Post by nikos »

almost there!
www.zabkat.com/test/xplorer2_setup64_ult_beta.exe

if you cannot find any more bugs, it's not going to be long for v5 final now.
Here is the full list of changes for v5
* smarter swap panes command (GOTO menu) leaves the folders exactly as they were, view modes, locked tabs and all

* new tips: 5c, 7a, 9g, 9h, 10a, 12a, 39b, 47b, 51b, 75b, 118a, 144c, 149a, 164b, 167a

* OneDrive folders can be searched without GAOPT_FOLLOWJUNCTIONS advanced setting. The setting is reserved for real folder junctions. Double check it works for DropBox and other cloud drives too?

* 4 new demo videos in HELP > HOW DO I? menu explain the biggest of the new features (see NEW marker)

* F1 help from dialog boxes opens the manual at the correct location if you use non-IE browsers (Chrome, Firefox etc)

* lots of bugfixes and optimizations

* [P] FILE > BROWSE FLAT menu command improved (quicker, half time to flatten 230K files)

* [P] Check duplicates dialog has a CLEAR button to get rid of all the checkboxes, so you can start a new clean search

* Divider bars (splitters) for dual pane should be easier to grab in high DPI. Also added advanced mainframe tweak DPF_THICKSPLITTER (=0x800000) to make the main dual pane splitter double the size, so you can tell it apart from miller column splitters, if need be.

* [Ult] new duplicate files detection algorithm, 100 times faster than original, makes big difference in large file sets -- makes checking duplicates for your entire hard disk feasible

* [P] new macro commands KEYDOWN/UP, similar to SENDKEY but more flexible. For example SENDKEY A is equivalent to KEYDOWN A followed by KEYUP A. This is useful e.g. if you want to simulate pressing SHIFT key while clicking on a dialog button:

KEYDOWN shift
OK
KEYUP shift

Note you these keys don't need a window context like SENDKEY, whichever window has the focus will receive the keystroke. You must match each down key with its equivalent UP, otherwise the keyboard will go funny.

* Advanced registry option rgbTabHilite sets the color for highlighting the active tab and active miller pane. Available through the advanced settings editor

* Advanced mainframe option DPF_TABINSERTNEXT (=0x400000) makes new tabs to open immediately after the active tab, instead of at the far end

* [P] MILLER COLUMNS. This is the big one, a feature ported from Mac PCs and their Finder file manager. It is like tabbed browsing, allowing you to see many neighboring folders simultaneously. Perhaps it's similar to locked tabs mode. For more details please refer to the documentation and watch the related demo video in HELP > HOW DO I? pane

Use FILE > COLUMN MODE menu command (or the toolbar/ribbon buttons) to enter miller mode. Then when you browse a folder (pressing ENTER or double-click) it opens in a new pane. If too many panes exist, a scrollbar is used to manage them. Each tab can have its own miller columns. The active folder in each set is what's used for dual pane comparisons etc. You can use left-right arrows to jump pane. You can tweak many options, including the maximum number of side-by-side folders (nMaxMillers and MIVF_xxx) using the Advanced settings editor.

* If you hate xplorer² ultimate orange icon, design your favorite one, call it X2ICON.ICO and drop it in the installation folder, then yours will be used instead! Not sure what will show on the taskbar if you pin the program though?

* (internal optimization) more efficient windows message routing (saves your CPU)

* The quick previewer will show cloud previews for some images if they are in the thumbnail cache, regardless if they are marked "cloud only" (offline)

* xplorer² will preview and show thumbnails of common image types PNG/JPG/GIF even if the windows thumbnail cache is busted

* PEEK PREVIEW. Enable mouse peek from TOOLS > OPTIONS (Window page) then press both left+right mouse buttons together to see a large preview of the item under the cursor. Then let go of the mouse keys and the preview will go away! It is also available from VIEW > PEEK menu command, so you can preview the selected item with the keyboard (Alt+Q is the default key binding), then any key (except Pageup/Down) will dismiss the preview. Very handy.

The preview is similar to the DRAFT quick preview tab, so it will show images and plain text (including text extracted from DOC/PDF/XLS documents) only. Advanced options editor allows you to choose the preview size as a percent of your monitor. For text previews, the registry setting nPeekTextWidth is the maximum width of the popup preview window, for pics the size is determined by the bitmap dimensions.

* Press alt+enter keys in the quickfilter box (next to addressbar) to apply the text filter on the inactive pane

* [P] CMENU macro instruction works for dock sites, so for example the following snippets will float then dock the quick preview panel:

# from dock to float
FINDWND preview
CMENU float

# reverse action (float to dock)
FINDFRAME preview
CMENU dock

* new fixed icon for UPDIR (..) item has a little green arrow for better visibility

* [P] PHONE BACKUP. Copy options like "overwrite if newer else skip" work for "fake" folders like phones and tablets. So you can copy from/to such devices and your local HD in backup mode. The user interface looks the same as explorer copy, but it supports advanced options -- you set then as usual in the F5 robust copy dialog (or TOOLS > BACKUP menu command). Sorry no wildcard/filters allowed at present. For zipfolders and other compressed archives, it can only be used to get stuff OUT of them (into a regular filesystem folder)

This feature requires Windows Vista or later. Some of the less important copy options are ignored to allow backup copy to/from virtual folders, e.g. "clear readonly attribute". In silent mode only errors are logged.

* [P] Robust copy through filters is much improved when only simple properties are used (name/size/date/path). If you use other more complex properties for copy filtering then you won't see any improvement.

Robust copy log when in backup mode (overwrite if newer else skip) will only include actual copy information, and exclude any files skipped or filtered

* MANUAL POSITIONS. In small folders set as large icon or thumbnail mode, use ARRANGE BY > MANUALLY menu command to move items with the mouse and leave them where you like. Then use ACTIONS > FOLDER SETTINGS > SAVE menu to put them inside DESKTOP.INI (with other custom folder settings), so when
you come back to that folder you'll find the items where you left them.

Related advanced registry settings are nMaxPositions (max number of item positions to save) and CLVOPT_GRIDSNAP, which snaps icons to a grid (otherwise you can put them even one on top of the other!)

Note you can sort a manual positioned folder if you need, temporarily destroying your custom positions, but once you switch to ARRANGE BY > MANUALLY, the positions will be restored.

* [P] Browser view option CLVOPT_CUSTOMAUTOSAVE (see registry.txt) will automatically save any changes inside custom folders, including icon positional information. So if you have used FOLDER SETTINGS > SAVE in a folder, and later do some changes, they will be automatically saved for you.

* Press F3 key to find next keyword in advanced settings editor, useful when you're trying to locate a tweak to configure

* QUICKACCESS TREE. Similar to explorer's quick access list (QAL), but not identical (no pins exist). Use TOOLS > OPTIONS menu and tick it in Window property page (tree options section). It shows some frequently used folders to begin with but you can put there whatever you like using drag-drop. Thus you have your own (flat) mini-tree with folders you access the most. You can rename and delete items in the QA list without affecting the real folders. You can even put network items in there and xplorer² shouldn't be too slow starting up. Functionality almost identical to miniscrap really

The top node "Quick access" takes you to your recent folder, which holds documents you've used lately. The registry setting nFrequentQAL specifies how many folders of your top frequent folders list to add to the QAL -- but once you have more than 12 items in the list, no frequent items are inserted automatically.

WARNING: when you try to insert a new folder in the QAL be careful to drop it INBETWEEN existing folders (you will see a horizontal insertion mark), otherwise you'll end up MOVING the new folder inside the one existing in the QAL! For safety you can drag-drop new folders using the RIGHT mouse button, so if something goes wrong you can cancel the drop.

* Editor² v2.98 supports dark mode through its options, and works better with unmarked unicode text files

* [P] xplorer² text search should work with Windows experimental beta UTF8 locale setting (control panel, language for non-unicode programs). But it is a rubbish setting really, because it completely breaks ANSI programs (like xplorer² lite) which are the ones that would benefit most out of it. So unless you have a serious reason to choose the option, let it be.

* [P] advanced registry option GAO2_ORIENTALCP uses a robust (albeit a bit slower) method to detect unmarked unicode text files (without BOM). If you live in the far East then probably you should set it on through the advanced settings editor.

* [P] Everybody will need NEW unlock keys for v5.0, but many will get free replacements. To check if you are entitled for a free or discounted v5.0 key use HELP > REGISTER PROGRAM menu, or the equivalent command under LICENSE MANAGEMENT in ribbon's leftmost tab. If xplorer² cannot find your old license key (but you know where it is yourself) you can use this upgrade page http://zabkat.com/upgrade.htm .
For more information see http://zabkat.com/u_info.htm

The change compared to previous major upgrades is that ALL customers that own a v4.x key will be allowed to upgrade at a discount -- the old 2-year limit does not apply! This should allow more people to get the new version!

* [P] Right click on an infobar to access a menu of saved column sets (as defined in CUSTOMIZE menu), and apply the column set on the infobar

* [P] CAMEL CASE. Mass renaming has 2 new options, a camel that changes spaces and word breaks into capitals (e.g. "hello world-son" becomes helloWorldSon) and one to remove accents, so the German "über" will become "uber".

* [P] ACTIONS > FILE PROPERTIES menu command can also change en-mass numeric properties, although I can't see many of them useful. Perhaps the track number # property is the only candidate. Use change templates that translate into numbers e.g. automatic counters

* Various corrections to dark mode, e.g. dark checkboxes look less lame. Now you can turn dark mode on/off using the normal program options (TOOLS > OPTIONS menu, General property page)

* [P] FOLDER SIZE PIES. The command TOOLS > FOLDER STATISTICS will show a little pie chart of the biggest folders in your list, one for each level you browse. It should help the visual folks to see the big folders eating up your hard disk space. Drag the splitter to make the pie bigger or smaller. The folder selected in the tree pops out a "pizza slice" so you can identify it. You can also use the tooltips over the pie pieces to discover the folder names.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: beta version 450.15

Post by johngalt »

I just installed ßeta 13 - My 'Name" column disappeared on all open tabs (Opening stable 4.5.0.1 does not have that problem).

I'll 'upgrade' to .15 and see if it makes a difference.

Report back in a few minutes.

johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Couple of things:

1) The ßeta over-writes the stable installed version in my Start menu - I only have a single one, clicking on it opens the ßeta. Thankfully I already had the stable pinned to taskbar, but....

2) Names column showed back up in ßeta 15.

More testing to commence.

bq3419

Post by bq3419 »

In 450.15 with both column mode and "show .. UPDIR (parent) item in filesystem folders" enabled, double-clicking the ".." doesn't do anything. I'd expect the current pane to be closed; alternatively, would it be cleaner to disable the ".." display in column mode?
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

It's working here....

Wait - column mode? As in Miller column mode? Let me test.

NM - found what you meant - but still working here.

After restarting the ßeta, though, it fails in the Miller columns.

Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

In Dual Pane mode, the Miller Column mode has to be activated for each pane separately. Would it be possible to have the miller mode activated for both panes at the same time?
In Miller Column mode, “View | Autoresize columns” does nothing to resize the miller columns. Is this by design?
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

johngalt wrote: 2021 Feb 13, 21:39 It's working here....

Wait - column mode? As in Miller column mode? Let me test.

NM - found what you meant - but still working here.

After restarting the ßeta, though, it fails in the Miller columns.
It's fishy.

I closed X² ßeta, then opened it again and enabled Miller Columns - and clicking on .. opens a new miller column at the previous level.

Weird.

I need to play some more and see, but I suspect it works and then stops working for whatever reason.

Once I figure out what it is doing (or I can prove that it is random) I'll try to make a GIF of my testing results.

johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Additionally, if I use the KB shortcuts to enable Miller columns in one pane, and then hit the same KB shortcut again, it, for whatever reason, seems to go to the other pane and move the currently shown tab to the parent of the directory I am in in the active pane.

bq3419

Post by bq3419 »

bq3419 wrote: 2021 Feb 13, 21:33 In 450.15 with both column mode and "show .. UPDIR (parent) item in filesystem folders" enabled, double-clicking the ".." doesn't do anything. I'd expect the current pane to be closed; alternatively, would it be cleaner to disable the ".." display in column mode?
I should have mentioned that ".." doesn't work in *subsequent* columns.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ok we're talking about too many things at once, so let's take them one by one:

* UP-DIR item (and backspace), take you to the PREVIOUS miller pane (assuming that the left pane is the parent folder)

* you can auto-resize miller columns using CTRL+double click on a splitter bar. But the resize isn't going to make left folders bigger, they will all be sized according to their minimum squeeze criteria.

* you cannot enable miller mode for all panes at once; it is like NEW TAB command. I am thinking of making the miller property persistent though, so it is there when you restart xplorer2

@johngalt sorry I lost you :)
see if the above clarifies your issues, and if you have any more start a new thread with detailed explanations

have you people watched the miller demo video? https://youtu.be/aIDxkhcr_xQ
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

where in the reg to you need to create the DPF_TABINSERTNEXT value?

OK, so DPF_TABINSERTNEXT is not an actual value it is one of those bin values

registry.txt shows DPF_TABINSERTNEXT as part of binDualPaneFlags so I adjusted binDualPaneFlags in
ZabaraKatranemia Plc\xplorer2_UC\MainFrame Settings from 14b0d to 414b0d

I noticed there is a binDualPaneFlags in ZabaraKatranemia Plc\xplorer2_UC.main\MainFrame Settings (my usual layout)
so I adjusted it from 9cf0d to 49cf0d

and new tabs are not opening next to the active one they still open at the end of the tab bar

BTW, these dual prompts every time you start a beta x2 get annoying after many restarts!
Last edited by FrizzleFry on 2021 Feb 14, 13:31, edited 5 times in total.
neko
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by neko »

What does "lifetime assurance" mean? I bought it years ago, and it was the first time I got this when trying to upgrade my license key.
(xplorer2 (ult) lifetime assurance 1 $ 49.95 $ 49.95)
Your xplorer² license (reference X2UL.3-<some numbers>) is more than 2 years old;
if you need the latest version please purchase a new license (full price)

If you have any questions please contact xplorer² support (code=4)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

FrizzleFry wrote: 2021 Feb 14, 12:41 where in the reg to you need to create the DPF_TABINSERTNEXT value?
you don't need to fiddle with the registry just use the settings editor and find the mainframe settings area
neko wrote: 2021 Feb 14, 12:44 What does "lifetime assurance" mean?
it means that you'll get v5 for free :)
but at present there are no v5 keys to have so please be patient
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

OK, I saw your reply. Now you're going to see what is going on in my ßeta 15 installation.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NyN3oXppectDuceb7

So, here is what I've done.

1. Run ßeta
2. Close TotD
3. Verify version number
4. Click on RAPR folder to make it active
5. Click on Downloads to make it active.
6. Click on RAPR folder to make it active
7. Enable Miller columns (through setting in File)
8. Show Miller Columns is enabled
8. Demonstrate ".." folder item at top.
9. Show Miller columns is enabled
10. Use shortcut to disable Miller columns
11. Use shortcut again to show odd behavior.

In a nutshell, two things: .. is not taking me back to previous column always, instead opens new Miller column with parent folder. One thing to note - since I use the dark mode, the *active* pane is the lighter one, the darker one is the inactive pane - that's why I clicked in each pane a couple of times to make sure that you can see the difference.

Also, now you can see what I mean - if I use the [ALT] + [INS] shortcut to enable or disable Miller columns, every other attempt to do so throws the parent folder of the *active tab in the active pane* over to the selected tab of the inactive pane and replaces the current folder there.

Now, you need some logs or something? ;D

(PS - I uploaded the .MP4 directly to my Google Photos account since I figured that would be the easiest way to have ppl look at the .MP4 file - it's only 6.58 MB in size, and if you'd like me to email it to you, Nikos, I can easily do so. Just let me know - it seems to not be playing correctly right now, but that always happens when I upload animated files / small movie snippets for about an hour or so.)

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I see the problem with the ALT key, well spotted!

as for the "up folder", I still cannot reproduce it. Can you send me an email with your zipped settings? Does it fail you in all folders or only in some particular folders?
thanks