build 5001 released

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

build 5001 released

Post by nikos »

a few bugfixes and improvements, use HELP > CHECK FOR UPDATES menu command to get yours

regarding the 2nd "drivebar" here is the experimental tool download
www.zabkat.com/test/fakeDriveBar.zip
This tool creates a second drivebar out of the drives that happen to be
connected to your system when you run it so you can have 2 "drivebars"
in xplorer². You can position the real drivebar above the left pane and
the "fake" one above the right pane (use drag-drop to move toolbars around)
Still there are quite a few limitations:

* it is really a toolbar of bookmarks to root drives and fixed, so if you
remove or add drives it won't be updated like the real drivebar
(but you can run the tool again to pick up the latest drives)

* Clicking on drive buttons affects the ACTIVE folder pane, and not the pane
that's closest to the "drivebar"! To operate the inactive pane, use ALT
key modifier or activate the pane you intend to change its directory

* you won't see the shell context menu if you right click on "drive" buttons
but drag-drop on a button will work, sending the files into the root of
the drive letter you drop onto

USAGE: fakeDriveBar.exe [/s:layout_name] [/I:settings.INI]

the optional arguments are /S: for a layout name (without it the toolbar is
added in the default layout) and /I: if you want to store the "drivebar" in
an INI (portable) file -- otherwise it is stored in the registry
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: build 5001 released

Post by Tuxman »

Wouldn’t it be easier to have the second drivebar as an xplorer2 core functionality?
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

adding a second drivebar "for real" requires a major redesign, so until that day comes to pass...
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

So, this is not fake news. Just a fake drivebar. :D :D

DLing update soon.

dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

I like it.

1}. Icons/font on the drive bars aren't the same size. Click small icons on the original drive bar make make them resemble each other.
2). If I click on the drive above the window it will change the active window's contents. I think that if I click on the drive icon above a window it should change the contents of the window below without it being highlighted, its a bit counter intuitive to first have to select a active pane then the relevant drive bar.

I look forward to the full implementation of this feature.
Many thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there are a number of considerations that make a permanent drivebar tricky. I could put one drivebar in the titlebar of each pane (where the clickable path is) but what if someone has 20 drives connected? So the only feasible solution is to offer a drop-down list there instead of a drivebar

likewise, if each view has its own tree, we must forget about docking panels, and each view shall have a splitter for its own tree. And how is that going to squeeze in miller column mode? You guys are quick to imagine things but then I have to conjure rabbits out of hats!
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

I have an idea, but I'm not sure if this makes any sense, so let me *try* to explain. I also realize that I am not a programmer, so what I may be asking may already be what you've considered and relegated to the whole "It'd be much too complicated to implement' column. Still, though, I tink it is worth considering because I don't care if you do or don't implement it, and I'm not gonna whine about it either way lol.

As I am looking at the X² interface, I see that the section where the drivebar resides is as a toolbar, which is movable, right?

If so, is there a way you could simply reserve dedicated space for a toolbar for each pane, that is specific only to the pane at any given time?

What I mean is that, if the user is in single pane mode, there is the current implementation of a single toolbar space where the drivebar resides.

But if the user has 2 panes open, there would be two reserved spaces for that toolbar (and only that tool bar) that would follow the alignment convention being used - IOW if panes are tiled horizontally, the to reserved spaces are *also* tiled horizontally, but if they are tiled vertically, then the reserved space is above each pane.

I realize that this probably would not make a difference from the current implementation, in that either drivebar would still affect the currently active pane, not the pane that it is supposedly 'assigned' to - but the implementation would still be much more robust in terms of both having the same functionality, right? Because, for all intents and purposes, it's simply the same toolbar that you've already coded into the application, just being displayed twice....

dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

nikos wrote: 2021 Mar 17, 06:48 there are a number of considerations that make a permanent drivebar tricky. I could put one drivebar in the titlebar of each pane (where the clickable path is) but what if someone has 20 drives connected? So the only feasible solution is to offer a drop-down list there instead of a drivebar
With dual drive bars I would get a drop down list after 16 drive icons, this is more than acceptable for me.
With a single drive bar I would get a drop down list after 7 icons, so I get more drives displayed with dual than single.

Incorporating the drive bar permanently into the title pane seems to be a logical way of doing it. why not implement that and see how it comes out.

Thanks for looking into this dual pane drive bar.

P.S. I'm getting a activation key not valid. I did buy a lifetime pass way back then, is it still valid ?. (Solved).
Last edited by dunno on 2021 Mar 18, 06:20, edited 1 time in total.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

dunno wrote: 2021 Mar 18, 03:28
nikos wrote: 2021 Mar 17, 06:48 there are a number of considerations that make a permanent drivebar tricky. I could put one drivebar in the titlebar of each pane (where the clickable path is) but what if someone has 20 drives connected? So the only feasible solution is to offer a drop-down list there instead of a drivebar
With dual drive bars I would get a drop down list after 16 drive icons, this is more than acceptable for me.
With a single drive bar I would get a drop down list after 7 icons, so I get more drives displayed with dual than single.

Incorporating the drive bar permanently into the title pane seems to be a logical way of doing it. why not implement that and see how it comes out.

Thanks for your looking into this dual pane drive bar.

P.S. I'm getting a activation key not valid. I did buy a lifetime pass way back then, is it still valid ?.
Did you already go through the upgrade procedure for the major ver 5 upgrade as listed at the bottom of the v5 announcement blog? https://www.zabkat.com/blog/xplorer2-v50-mac-finder.htm

dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

@johngalt

Thanks for the pointer, all good.

@Nikos
I'm really really liking this dual drive bar setup, nice.
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Well, I just CRASHED!

Running 5.0.0.1 ultimate on Win 8.1.

So like a good denizen of these depths, I thought, "Send the crash info to Nikos!".

Press Help > Crash Information and, instead of a window with esoteric text that I can save and attach to an email, I'm greated with a window from Micro$oft to set up a mail account.

Come on man!

If we're using x2, we're capable of attaching a file to an email and sending it, using whatever email system we choose. I do not need x2 to dictate my email, just like I'd really like it to stop opening up Internet Explorer. I can also choose my own browser.

Now that that rant is over (how I miss Kilmatead's response to my rants :( ), please kindly direct me in the process of doing just that, locating the crash dump file so that I can forward to you.

-------------------------
PJ in (beautiful, idyllic, sunny) FL
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

do you have a "proper" program registered for emails, or is it through your internet browser?
anyway, the automatic attachment only works for clients like outlook and the like
you can find the crash information file in %TEMP% folder (see info) and email it to me
thanks
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

nikos wrote: 2021 Apr 09, 16:12 do you have a "proper" program registered for emails, or is it through your internet browser?
anyway, the automatic attachment only works for clients like outlook and the like...
I use 4 or 5 computers and two phones on a regular basis, and because I use browser based emails I can access any and all emails from any of these devices, so the answer is "No, I don't have a "proper" program registered for emails".

Why do you assume your users have these programs? Same goes for browsers? Force IE to pop up instead of using the "proper" registered browser?

Sorry Nikos, but you continue to make assumptions against all users telling you otherwise how we use x2 in our workflow.

Another case in point is the refusal to keep one bookmark in tabs that come up with inaccessible locations on start up, so x2 discards all history information and defaults to DESKTOP. You don't use networks and VPNs but many people do. So why not keep the last known location available in the drop down so when we reopen our VPN and those locations are again available, all we need do is right click and select the last known location the tab was browsing? Saving the tab groups isn't practical because the locations change many times a day depending on the data I need to access.
nikos wrote: 2021 Apr 09, 16:12 ...you can find the crash information file in %TEMP% folder (see info) and email it to me
thanks
About that, so %TEMP% is a special folder, so why isn't it one of the special folders accessible under Go To > Special Folders ? Being the power user that I am I know I can open a CMD window, type SET, and locate the folder defined by %TEMP%. A lot of work to get to a known special folder.

Just saying...

-----------------------------
PJ in FL

P.S. The dump's in the mail...
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

You can type %TEMP%, then press Enter in the xplorer² address bar.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

pj wrote: 2021 Apr 10, 04:59
nikos wrote: 2021 Apr 09, 16:12 do you have a "proper" program registered for emails, or is it through your internet browser?
anyway, the automatic attachment only works for clients like outlook and the like...
I use 4 or 5 computers and two phones on a regular basis, and because I use browser based emails I can access any and all emails from any of these devices, so the answer is "No, I don't have a "proper" program registered for emails".

Why do you assume your users have these programs? Same goes for browsers? Force IE to pop up instead of using the "proper" registered browser?

Sorry Nikos, but you continue to make assumptions against all users telling you otherwise how we use x2 in our workflow.

Another case in point is the refusal to keep one bookmark in tabs that come up with inaccessible locations on start up, so x2 discards all history information and defaults to DESKTOP. You don't use networks and VPNs but many people do. So why not keep the last known location available in the drop down so when we reopen our VPN and those locations are again available, all we need do is right click and select the last known location the tab was browsing? Saving the tab groups isn't practical because the locations change many times a day depending on the data I need to access.
nikos wrote: 2021 Apr 09, 16:12 ...you can find the crash information file in %TEMP% folder (see info) and email it to me
thanks
About that, so %TEMP% is a special folder, so why isn't it one of the special folders accessible under Go To > Special Folders ? Being the power user that I am I know I can open a CMD window, type SET, and locate the folder defined by %TEMP%. A lot of work to get to a known special folder.

Just saying...

-----------------------------
PJ in FL

P.S. The dump's in the mail...
Wow. Angst anyone?

How about you can use the web interface as the default 'mail client' as well.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-make-gm ... am-1172078

I mean, it's one thing to ask for proper coding - but to not ask for it properly....