build 5001 released

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: build 5001 released

Post by nikos »

I don't have supernatural powers or the intellect of Turing to design perfect systems ;)
for the VPN "desktop" tabs problem use CUSTOMIZE > FOLDER GROUPS > STARTUP menu command
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Lo l - no one does.

That's why βeta testing exists. And why developers rely on user feedback. Even when it is worded with angst.

pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

johngalt wrote: 2021 Apr 10, 16:00 Lo l - no one does.

That's why βeta testing exists. And why developers rely on user feedback. Even when it is worded with angst.
Some people's "angst" is another person's "passion".

I've stated time and again x2 is the ONLY program I use on every computer I have owned since I bought my first license.

If I didn't care I wouldn't bother....

But seriously JG, doesn't it bother you when INTERNET EXPLORER pops up when you click a link under "How do I"? There are so many open security holes in IE that's like waving a red flag in front of a bull for the hackers to come and take this fool down for using a totally compromised browser like IE.

OT: Don't you just LOVE how PROPHETIC Ayn Rand was.
Robert2 wrote: 2021 Apr 10, 05:29 You can type %TEMP%, then press Enter in the xplorer² address bar.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to remember that work-around the next time I need it, but, as I mention, my batting average with remembering isn't doing so good...
nikos wrote: 2021 Apr 10, 07:27 I don't have supernatural powers or the intellect of Turing to design perfect systems ;)
for the VPN "desktop" tabs problem use CUSTOMIZE > FOLDER GROUPS > STARTUP menu command
DANG! I knew that! At least until I didn't.... :(

I'd say old age is catching up to me, but I lost that race a long time ago...

--------------
PJ in FL
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Yeah, not faulting what you wrote - it was high time that was changed, for sure. Just in *how* you said it ;P

IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Wanted to make sure that this is a recurring case before posting this.
On Windows 10 Pro 2004.19041.685 x64 with x2 5.0.0.1 ULT x64.
The conducted experiment is opening x2, two panes, just one tab each, nothing fancy.

When starting x2 it consumes around 15MB of memory

but after a few hours, even if left untouched, it goes to 2GB+, and if left even longer, up to 3GB-4GB.

also, x2 uses up to 3-4% of a Intel Core i5-1035G1 CPU that's boosted at 3.4 GHz just by sitting idle and minimized.

This is happening for more than two weeks, even since a clean install on a laptop.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that's not normal. I have xplorer2 running for days and it stays under 10MB ram usage
it's hard to tell what's wrong with yours, could be some plugin you use or what you're doing with xplorer2
if you send us a snapshot of your xplorer2 window that could give me an idea
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

I tested the behavior on a fresh Win 10 Pro installation, clean x2 install without anything added/modified, it still does that.

I have also tested with an old 2.4.0.1 ULT [Unicode] x64 11/12/2013 x2, the same thing happens, so it's Windows 10 not playing nice with x2 in this particular instance.

In the end I am not affected too much by this, I don't mind restarting x2 when I feel it consumes too much memory.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Perchance do you have the use of Windows icons enabled in advanced options? Maybe try disabling that and see if it changes after a close and re-open.

IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

johngalt wrote: 2021 May 09, 17:18 Perchance do you have the use of Windows icons enabled in advanced options?
Please show me a screenshot of where that option is located in the advanced options or its name in the global/layout settings.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

There are a couple of options that might make a difference, but I worded the name of it incorrectly.

The one I was referring to is named "Don't use windows thumbnail cache", but I also found "No background thumbnail extraction" and even "Logging control" section - all of these are in Global tab.

Nikos can probably explain what these do exactly much better than my thoughts, I was just throwing them out there to see if maybe the mem usage creep was associated with the file size creep of Windows thumbnail (aka icon) cache....

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

one idea is to export (save) your settings, then fully uninstall (reset all settings to defaults) and see if it still occurs (the RAM problem)
then you can restore your saved settings
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

johngalt wrote: 2021 May 10, 17:22 There are a couple of options that might make a difference
Thank you, I have made the changes you suggested and I'll see if it affects the memory usage. I doubt it will as those seem like settings that would have an impact if x2 is actually used to browse folders, whereas in my case, X2 eats 2 GB of RAM just by sitting idle for a few hours, immediately after starting it, but it's worth trying.
nikos wrote: 2021 May 11, 04:28 one idea is to export (save) your settings, then fully uninstall (reset all settings to defaults) and see if it still occurs (the RAM problem)
then you can restore your saved settings
I've tested this already, it happens on two different machines (a laptop and a PC) with fresh installs of X2, but the same Windows 10 Pro version, so there's something about X2 or Win10 that don't like about each other.
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

IneedHelp wrote: 2021 May 11, 04:58 Thank you, I have made the changes you suggested and I'll see if it affects the memory usage.
Seems nothing helps. Nikos, is there a way to debug this, something I can do on my system to get a clue why this is happening?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if we're talking about a standard and default/fresh xplorer2 installation I don't know what to say. Definitely it isn't coming from xplorer2. Sometimes other shell extensions are to blame

so you are saying that you just leave xplorer2 sitting doing nothing, and the memory goes up, or it depends on your use pattern, what you are doing with xplorer2?
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

nikos wrote: 2021 May 12, 17:45 so you are saying that you just leave xplorer2 sitting doing nothing, and the memory goes up, or it depends on your use pattern, what you are doing with xplorer2?
So I have multiple systems, and on one of them I have a fresh Windows 10 pro installation with a fresh x2, I just run x2, I let it sit idle and it just eats RAM as time passes, getting up to 2-3 GB. The same behavior is exhibited on another system I am currently using, with more stuff installed on it. I can only imagine that it's this particular Windows 10 Pro (Version 2004 build 19041.685) I have that makes x2 act this way.