Go to parent from user documents not working as expected

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Go to parent from user documents not working as expected

Post by IneedHelp »

I press Ctrl+K to go to the user documents [C:\Users\MyUser\Documents], but then if I press Backspace to go to the parent folder which is the user folder [C:\Users\MyUser], I instead get sent to "This PC" [::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}].

This happens on Windows 10 Pro with the latest x2. Is this intended behavior now?
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Go to parent from user documents not working as expected

Post by johngalt »

Which build / version of Windows 10?

(in the run box, type 'winver' (sans quotation marks) and a popup will tell you exactly what version you're on)

ANd I just tried it and it is doing exactly what it should. The path is directly to your special folder called "My Documents" which is also directly accessible by the shell command by using "shell:Local Documents".

If you open that in a run box, it opens Windows explorer to "This PC > Documents" - and going up one level go to This PC.

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you want to go to c:\users click on the titlebar crumb path
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

johngalt wrote: 2021 May 11, 15:50 Which build / version of Windows 10?
Version 2004, Build 19041.685
nikos wrote: 2021 May 11, 17:12 if you want to go to c:\users click on the titlebar crumb path
That's what I am doing, but I wanted navigation by keyboard (mainly because I got used to it from Windows 7 with an older build of x2).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

technically my documents is inside my computer, which explains what happens
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

If I go to “C:\Users\<User’s Name>\Documents” with the mouse from a special “ My bookmarks” folder or by entering “C:\Users\<User’s Name>\Documents” into the xplorer address bar, then press Backspace, I am taken to “C:\Users\<User’s Name>”.
But if I use Ctrl+K, or click “Go To > Special Folders > My Documents”, then press Backspace, I am taken to “::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}”, i.e. “This PC”.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

johngalt wrote: 2021 May 11, 15:50 Which build / version of Windows 10?

(in the run box, type 'winver' (sans quotation marks) and a popup will tell you exactly what version you're on)

ANd I just tried it and it is doing exactly what it should. The path is directly to your special folder called "My Documents" which is also directly accessible by the shell command by using "shell:Local Documents".

If you open that in a run box, it opens Windows explorer to "This PC > Documents" - and going up one level go to This PC.
Because the shortcut is using the direct path to My Documents from your profile, regardless of where the actual folder (physically) resides on your disk.

Technically, you could create a bookmark to the actual path and assign it a shortcut and use that and it should then take you up one directory in that physical path.

My own Documents folder is actually under OneDrive, so I created a bookmark to the full path of it, assigned it a shortcut of [CTRL] + [SHIFT] + 9, and then used the shortcut to open the Documents folder. Then, double clicking the ".." item at the top takes me up one directory in the physical hierarchy, just as you want it to.

IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Yes, there's many ways to go about this, but I was mainly trying to point out that pressing backspace from the documents folder (when navigated to using ctrl+k) doesn't send you to the user folder, instead it takes you to the PC view, but it kind of makes sense considering how Windows 10 is different from Windows 7 in this regard.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Bingo.