Looking to replace graphics card in HP Pavilion PC 570 Desktop

Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Looking to replace graphics card in HP Pavilion PC 570 Desktop

Post by pschroeter »

I've posted this elsewhere but thought it couldn't hurt to try here also. I'm amused that physically installing a new card looks much easier that selecting one.
My HP Pavilion 570 Desktop that I bought in 2018 came with some sort of graphics card installed and recently the fan has occasionally started making grinding noises. I use the computer to connect to the Internet, word processing, and to run OLD games (prBoom). I’m not looking to turn the computer into a gaming computer, I just want to restore the computer back pretty much the way it was. I do like to think though, that after four years you I could upgrade the graphics just a little.
I hope to spend less than $200.
Two years ago I had temperature problems and installed a tall cooling tower fan over the CPU so I don’t think the card should be too big. After looking at graphics cards I think it would be nice if the new card was passively cooled and didn’t have a fan at all, though I don’t know if that causes other problems.
My investigation into what the computer currently has is the card is some sort variation of a NIVIDIA GeForce GT 730. It doesn’t look like the cards I see online and just looks like a circuit board with a flat little fan on top.
My local computer repair shop said they could sell me a GeForce GT 710 MSI NVIDIA. Is this even equivalent to what I have now since 710 < 730? I haven’t been overly impressed with what I’ve read about this card, but for all I know it’s better than what I have.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Looking to replace graphics card in HP Pavilion PC 570 Desktop

Post by nikos »

are you a gamer or is it for bitcoin? :P
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Looking to replace graphics card in HP Pavilion PC 570 Desktop

Post by johngalt »

pschroeter wrote: 2022 Feb 26, 05:59 I've posted this elsewhere but thought it couldn't hurt to try here also. I'm amused that physically installing a new card looks much easier that selecting one.
My HP Pavilion 570 Desktop that I bought in 2018 came with some sort of graphics card installed and recently the fan has occasionally started making grinding noises. I use the computer to connect to the Internet, word processing, and to run OLD games (prBoom). I’m not looking to turn the computer into a gaming computer, I just want to restore the computer back pretty much the way it was. I do like to think though, that after four years you I could upgrade the graphics just a little.
I hope to spend less than $200.
Two years ago I had temperature problems and installed a tall cooling tower fan over the CPU so I don’t think the card should be too big. After looking at graphics cards I think it would be nice if the new card was passively cooled and didn’t have a fan at all, though I don’t know if that causes other problems.
My investigation into what the computer currently has is the card is some sort variation of a NIVIDIA GeForce GT 730. It doesn’t look like the cards I see online and just looks like a circuit board with a flat little fan on top.
My local computer repair shop said they could sell me a GeForce GT 710 MSI NVIDIA. Is this even equivalent to what I have now since 710 < 730? I haven’t been overly impressed with what I’ve read about this card, but for all I know it’s better than what I have.
That might be hard to find. Though maybe not.

I just upgraded my nearly 7 year old GTX 970, which I babied to begin with, never OCing and ramping up fan speeds so they were at full speed before the temps hit 60 °C, so that the GPU was always well taken care of, in terms of never overheating, with a brand new RTX 3080 Ti. I know that this card can get me some real money, but I'm not interested in scalping anyone, and since you're 1) a fan of Nikos' software, and 2) in obvious need, PM me if you're interested in my GTX 970.

Note: I Have taken it apart a few times to clean and in 2 cases re-applied thermal paste, but nothing is broken, and nothing is damaged, and all screws and such are in place, and, most importantly, the fans both still work perfectly.

This is the exact model of my card:

eVGA P/N 04G-P4-3979-KB
https://www.evga.com/products/specs/gpu ... 7008F53188

I originally registered it at the eVGA website on 26 April 2015 - single owner, never sent for repairs, never had failures.

Additionally, here are a couple of CPU-Z save validations.

This was the rig that that GPU first went into: https://valid.x86.fr/2x3br9

This was the rig I built 1.5 years ago - that it then went into lol. - https://valid.x86.fr/tf5prr

And as of 2 weeks ago, I permanently removed it from my machine after I received my 3080 Ti (Also an eVGA).

One thing to note- in complete transparency, I initially removed the thermal paste applied by eVGA and replaced it with Arctic Silver 5, a decent CPU thermal paste in its day. When I built the new rig, I once again disassembled it and replace the Arctic silver with this stuff:

https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/prod ... ctonaut-en

Now, folks have said that 1) this stuff can drip out (only if you apply it stupidly IMO, which I most certainly did not do) and 2) that it needs to be reapplied really (I have NFI why they would say that - yes, it's liquid, but no, it doesn't 'dry out' -0 it's not water based!

Finally, I also have a lot (and I mean a *lot*) of build pics of the rig I built in 2020, and in them are at least a couple of pics of my Conductonaut application. See https://photos.app.goo.gl/1NXPdaZnuyPhQvsn9

Now, along with that card, I also have an older 560 Ti 448 Core, that was actually based upon the 600-Series architecture, versus the 500-Series architecture. Also eVGA lol. But the whole reason I'm going through all of this is that I want the card to go to a good home for a reasonable price (not $500, that's more than *I* paid for it lol).

If you're interested, please PM me. If not, no worries - I still have both of my GTX 260s, also, I tend to hoard stuff. I'm not desperate for money, or anything like that - but I don't think it is fair that you're having to pay damned near full new MSRP for a product that is, for all intents and purposes, approaching 10 years old.