change date based on part of filename

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

rnmerchant

change date based on part of filename

Post by rnmerchant »

I couldn't find this discussed before so apologies if it is repeated.

I have a pile of data files (example: NS701_001-15-33-008_(00061)_2017-10-05-12-11-25.edf) whose date is embedded in the file name (2017-10-05 at 12:11:15pm) but because of the process of copying the files from the original machine through various usb's and PC's the file dates on the files are all messed up.

Can I somehow batch change the file dates based on the relevant part of the filenames?

Thanks Richard
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: change date based on part of filename

Post by nikos »

you can try try ACTIONS > CHANGE DATES menu command and try to pick the date from the NAME column, but you have all sorts of information in the name, so I can't tell. YOu can try with 1-2 files and see

other than that, you could do a batch with the help of a regular expression to isolate the date in the filename. For more information see
www.zabkat.com/blog/touch-jpg-date-taken.htm
rnmerchant

Re: change date based on part of filename

Post by rnmerchant »

Thanks Nikos:

I tried the things you suggested but I couldln't see how to get it to work and/or too complicated for my simple mind.

Another little utility: Advanced Renamer (https://www.advancedrenamer.com/) has a little utility that did it quite nicely for me. Albeit with words that didn't seem to mean quite what they say: the rename process didn't actually rename the file but use the file name to re-"date" the file. With the format of the file name I have it worked well.

Oh well - whatever works. Although I didn't really need another program on my computer!

Best regards and thanks again for your assistance as always.

Richard :D