delete failure

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

rnmerchant

delete failure

Post by rnmerchant »

I've had a interesting issue trying to delete files. This is from a 250gb SD card that I want to use in an android music player.

I rather think that it is not an Xplorer2 problem but something with file systems but I thought I'd ask here...

There's something funny with the file system. So I figure I'll just re-load the card by deleting all the files in the "Albums" folder. I select all files and do an attempted robust delete. I get log errors (image attached).

If a directory/subdirectory shows up in the file manager why can it not be deleted? I think it is corrupted because it came via the android system - ? not following proper rules to write the directory - as I did produce the SD card on my Windows system and at the end of that the file system read correctly.

I've performed a 'destructive delete' by reformatting the card but it is perplexing me.

Thanks

dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: delete failure

Post by dunno »

Sometimes a locked directory/file can be deleted via the command line. It could also be that you don't have read/write permission for that file, check and reset/modify the permissions/user of the directory/file.

Did you try a different PC or OS ?.

Edit:
There are some small applications which can unlock these types of files, but be wary of installing untrusted free applications.
@ Nikos, there's a nice little feature to implement, a way of unlocking these pesky undeletable directories/folders/files, or include additional dialogue to the "unable to delete" menu which point the user to check the permissions of the file.

*returns to hammock*
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you didn't attach any logs! but they probably wouldn't be much use...
here's a powertoy that helps unlocking https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... -locksmith
rnmerchant

Post by rnmerchant »

I tried to attach an image but I guess that didn't work.

Anyway it is part of something funny going on. I'm not techy enough to understand.

I was trying to copy music files to an SD card. This was about 13,000 files in 380 subdirectories, total of 230gb. But a simple operation, really: mirror the subdirectory to a similar subdirectory on the SD card.

But there is corruption. The screenshot I showed said, amongst other things, "error: can't read from folder ..." relating to an odd directory about 30 laryers deep (something like this: I:\Albums\Diana Krall\data\data\data\data\... and then a whole bunch of [Windows error = 145: The directory is not empty] This set of 'data' subdirectories is something I didn't make - some sort of a recursive loop must have produced them; presumably eventually a corrupted directory header meant it couldn't be deleted, then all the subsequent ones couldn't be deleted.

Reformatting and re-copying the files has not solved the issue: I have new similar errors. Interestingly I have also run chkdsk and Windows reports a whole bunch of errors - crosslinks on allocation units - and 'resolves them by copying'... And then reports that Windows has fixed things. Then repeating the chkdsk it gives a whole bunch of new errors...

Maybe it's a bad SD card - that would be sad as it's a brand new Samsung card - but stranger things have happened. But I bought the new card because I was having similar problems with another. Both having been placed in the android player so ? something odd withthe android file management system.

In any case I repeat that I don't think this is an Xplorer2 issue but a Windows one...

Also should note that I - admin - created and copied the files so no obvious reason there would be ownership issues though with Windows who knows.
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

Is the file system FAT32, if so is there any file which is larger than 4GB ?.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it looks like a hardware fault, unless it happens with other SD cards too
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

You could try running the following 2 command-lines with Administrative Powers:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
sfc /scannow
These system health tools can take some time to complete the task, especially the first one.
For details, have a look at How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central
HTH
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

One thing to realize is that the file system might be playing a factor here.

Windows only allows for a max path length (in characters) of 260.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... ing-a-file
Maximum Path Length Limitation

In editions of Windows before Windows 10 version 1607, the maximum length for a path is MAX_PATH, which is defined as 260 characters. In later versions of Windows, changing a registry key or using the Group Policy tool is required to remove the limit. See Maximum Path Length Limitation for full details.
In Android, there is not necessarily a hard limit set.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/174 ... in-android
Its not defined for Android as a whole- different devices use different filesystems. I wouldn't use a name over 255 characters (the limit of ext3, which some deices use), but I don't think there's a common length you could claim is the maximum across devices
I tested with 1024 characters long path and it works in every device I tested on. I didn't go further up, maybe it mess up the sd card.
If you were trying to do this on a Windows device, the errors could be simply because the path length is entirely too long for Windows to process.

rnmerchant

Post by rnmerchant »

My reply seems to have gotten lost (or perhaps I didn't press the submit).

This is the problem almost certainly. The directory lengths became much too long. I suspect (in the absence of a better explanation) that this was an issue with my android device doing something funny.

Unfortunately it seems to have been a problem on 2 different SD cards. Is it related to the fact that there are ~300 some directories and ~13,000 files? Android should be able to manage that.

In any case I'm going to retry some of the steps and see what evolves.

Thanks for the offers. Richard