v6

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Quin

Re: v6

Post by Quin »

I always run executables by hitting enter. Haven't tested any other way. How can I check if this setting is enabled if I can't access it in the new version?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

probably NVDA cannot read the advanced option because it is disabled... but it is only disabled if it's already ticked off! So that's probably not the cause of the curdir problem. Mystery!

as for the titlebar, you can put the folder name first using TOOLS > ADVANCED OPTIONS (!) but you can do it as such:
first find the edit box at the lower left corner of the settings editor, and type: "program name"
then press ENTER key to find the option (that's going to be all blind I suppose) and press SPACE bar to turn it on
finally click on OK button to activate the option
I hope you can manage it!
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I run a lot of stuff, mostly scripts which assume the cwd is the folder they are in, by double-clicking or pressing enter and have not seen the problem Quin reported.

Quin, when you have the problem is cwd set to a specific directory or is it seemingly random? Or some pattern like the parent of the folder you executed something from?

Nikos, could there be other options that prevent cwd being set to the folder in the active pane/tab? Like calculate subfolder size automatically or Explorer-style path autocompletion in addressbar. How about Explorer replacement mode?

I ask about those because I do not have them enabled and Quin does.
Quin

Post by Quin »

Hi,
Unfortunately I was unable to get it to work.
I first tried exactly what you said, opening the window, typing Program Name, and pressing enter. I got focused on a text element that I couldn't interact with, or move between the multiple options that showed up. They all got thrown at me as one big string, and pressing space does nothing. I also tried using NVDA's keyboard commands for mouse movement (tried to lock the mouse onto the checkbox then left click), but no luck.
No problem, I thought. It writes to the registry. I'll just use RegFromApp to generate a registry file of what it does. But... this settings editor is one of the most fascinating pieces of software I've ever messed with. I closed it, and RegFromApp just hung completely. I've never seen this and didn't feel like debugging what might be a mutex lock or similar, so I figured I'd just have it save to ini, and compare that.
Which was very unhelpful. It changed a few settings when I opened/closed it, but it didn't appear anything related to that box was ever touched, no matter what I did. I also tried looking through the registry.txt file to find the option, but couldn't manage it at a quick glance.
My next course of action would probably be stepping through it in WinDBG ,and breakpointing RegOpenKeyEx() or similar and inspecting the stack. But, figured I'd ask here first. Any other ideas?
nikos wrote: 2024 Mar 15, 06:38 probably NVDA cannot read the advanced option because it is disabled... but it is only disabled if it's already ticked off! So that's probably not the cause of the curdir problem. Mystery!

as for the titlebar, you can put the folder name first using TOOLS > ADVANCED OPTIONS (!) but you can do it as such:
first find the edit box at the lower left corner of the settings editor, and type: "program name"
then press ENTER key to find the option (that's going to be all blind I suppose) and press SPACE bar to turn it on
finally click on OK button to activate the option
I hope you can manage it!
Quin

Post by Quin »

It's seemingly random, but it mainly seems to happen if I have other xplorer2 windows open, and it tends to save to a folder I either have open or had open recently. For example, if I opened documents, then code, and ran a program from the code folder that tried to save a file in code, if I hit this bug, it would save in documents instead.
FrizzleFry wrote: 2024 Mar 15, 08:32 I run a lot of stuff, mostly scripts which assume the cwd is the folder they are in, by double-clicking or pressing enter and have not seen the problem Quin reported.

Quin, when you have the problem is cwd set to a specific directory or is it seemingly random? Or some pattern like the parent of the folder you executed something from?

Nikos, could there be other options that prevent cwd being set to the folder in the active pane/tab? Like calculate subfolder size automatically or Explorer-style path autocompletion in addressbar. How about Explorer replacement mode?

I ask about those because I do not have them enabled and Quin does.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

The setting you are after is in the registy.txt file:

[MainFrame Settings] ////////////
binDualPaneFlags [default = 9]
DPF_SHOWHEADERS 8 /* show titlebar for each view pane */
DPF_NOHEADERSUBPATHS 128 /* they exist but ain't clickable */
DPF_X2TITLETRAIL 4096 /* mainframe shows xplorer2 LAST in titlebar */

this is a per layout setting so each layout will have its own mainframe settings

the main (default) layout is located in the registry at:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\xplorer2_UC\MainFrame Settings

so take the value in binDualPaneFlags and add 4096 decimal or 1000 hex to it.

Make sure you have completely exited x2 before making changes in its registry settings.
Quin

Post by Quin »

That didn't seem to do it. I opened regit, and changed the value of binDualPaneFlags from 67168021 to 67162117, and the title bar still has Xplorer2 - in front of it.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

if your original value was 67168021 then the new value should be 67172117 not 67162117

you probably just made a typo, the fourth digit from left or fifth from right should be a 7 not a 6

also, if you have multiple layouts, make sure you are changing the correct binDualPaneFlags
Quin

Post by Quin »

That did it, thank you so much!
FrizzleFry wrote: 2024 Mar 15, 22:17 if your original value was 67168021 then the new value should be 67172117 not 67162117

you probably just made a typo, the fourth digit from left or fifth from right should be a 7 not a 6

also, if you have multiple layouts, make sure you are changing the correct binDualPaneFlags
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

as for the current directory problem, it could be that you are using the context menu and in there one of your shell extensions plays with the current directory... if the DLL changes the directory, it goes for xplorer2 too. It is a possibility!
Quin

Post by Quin »

I recently discovered DOS command mode, and it's really nice! However, the output of commands doesn't automatically read to my screen reader, like it does in command prompt. For example, if I run echo hi in cmd, I hear "hi". In xplorer2, I can hit up arrow and see it, but it's not spoken automatically. Could this be added for V6?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the console output in xplorer2 is a regular editor window like notepad
if you prefer a normal console, use TOOLS > OPTIONS menu and tick off the option "redirect dos command output..." in General property page