"Some items were not accessible"

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

"Some items were not accessible"

Post by appyface »

Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit all patches, x2 5.5.0.1.

When executing various commands (folder statistics and flattening folders, as two examples) I sometimes get the message "Some items were not accessible"(insufficient access rights?).

When this happens I look through all the permissions on the targeted files and folders but I can't see any reason - the administrators group (of which I am a member) is always on all the files with full access, which should make it possible for x2 to work with the files. (I am an administrator of my machine.)

When this happens, how can I find out what files x2 could not access? Is there a log somewhere or one I can turn on?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "Some items were not accessible"

Post by nikos »

being an administrator doesn't give you access everywhere, sometimes you must enable getting into some special folders
for example, in folder statistics, search for !error! (use ACTIONS menu) to see which folders had a problem
however these are mostly quaint folders and needn't be worried about (perhaps shouldn't be)
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

Yes I know about special folders but that's just it, there aren't any special folders. These are my own folders on non-system drives and they aren't copies of any special folders. There's nothing that would be accessed or altered by the OS or other program.

Next time it happens I'll look at folder statistics, thanks. Is there any way to get it from flattening folders? This is another area it comes up a lot.

Just after posting, I found out what was wrong this particular time. It was long folder paths again. These cause problems for me with many x2 functions (I've posted here many times about that) yet the OS handles them fine. Is there any plan to add full long folder path support to x2?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

can you give me an example path that cannot be read? type its exact name and I will try to reproduce it
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

I will try your suggestion to find out what file is causing the error, the next time it happens and get back.
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

I got the not accessible message on folder statistics, tried actions -> find -> !error! Nothing happened. Was a window supposed to pop-up or?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

try searching for a single !
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

OK got the error again in folder statistics. Used "find" and searched for ! - nothing happened.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

:shrug: it's not an important error anyway
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

Not important? X2 isn't working correctly. I can't flatten or use duplicate searches or several other functions like robust copy/move/delete, they are all crippled by long paths.

"Empty" folders also reports folders with data, whether it's a last node search or this newer folder statistics search. I've posted about this before. Different computers, different windows OS. Seems always related to long paths, at least in my case.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I have asked you to give me a specific path example but you didn't give me any.
as things stand, your bug is an unproven conjecture

see this snapshot
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

And I have asked you to help me find the path that X2 is choking on. So far nada.