Re: v6 update: simple filters

Post by nikos »

more controversy ahead :shock:

pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

nikos wrote: 2024 Apr 26, 09:35 look, most of the time many people (myself included) don't use any advanced search options, usually just NAME. Why clutter the interface with unused "advanced" options?
Back before x2 added the limited-but-useful mass renamer, I looked at several of the 3rd party offerings. I cringed when one of those opened with a main menu that rivaled a spaceship's control panel. Every option under the sun shown, and in no clear order where the most often used option might be, so I have to reluctantly agree with having a well-designed simplified interface designed to handle 90% of the users' needs makes sense as an option.

What I cringe about with x2 is the lack of menu-accessible options for many of the customizations, where many require bit-level changes to registry entries. Why we've quietly let this horrible mechanism persist for years is beyond me. That is one change this old geezer would applaud.

So keep the simplified menus and dialogs, WITH the option to restore the original cluttered dialogs, but be sure to make the options available in either Options or Advanced Options menus, and not by flipping the 3rd bit of the registry entry bin_ZABCAT_Is_The_Product_of_a_Cluttered_Mind.

--------------------------
PJ in FL
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

nikos wrote: 2024 Apr 28, 17:03 more controversy ahead :shock:
The lack of grouping options that are related is the concern I have with this format.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the main options/settings dialog will have well defined groups and a search box. The copy options dialog is small and left flat

as for the bits and bobs, you are aware of TOOLS > ADVANCED OPTIONS menu, right? There's no need for registry editing!?